Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:18AM

When I was at BYU, the football team had a kicker that used to write pro-abortion and anti-death penalty letters to the BYU paper. He was the Provo Chair for Dukakis and now
is one of the most radical Republicans on the Hill. I guess he figured that you can't win as a liberal Democrat in Provo.

Well, he's in line to chair the DC committee. Of course, he's as homophobic as you can get and he thinks
DC home rule is unconstitutional (not sure where he got that idea, but probably from somewhere underneath the back of his garments).

His #1 goal for DC is to get rid of gay marriage and then move from there.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39843/meet-jason-chaffetz/full/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:33AM

Well, he thinks that giving a voting House seat to DC is unconstitutional. He kind of has a point; one could argue that a Constitutional amendment is required.

I don't know if he thinks that home rule or its extension is unconstitutional, although he opposes greater autonomy for D.C. The Constitution actually says that Congress shall exercise "exclusive legislation" over the District, so Congress has ultimate authority over D.C. but has obviously already granted a good deal of power to the district itself.

Date: October 02, 2010 11:04AM

His first goal is to trump the DC city council and get rid of gay marriage, pushing the LDS agenda on a city with about 300 active Mormons out of 600,000 people

When Republicans were in charge before, they regularly meddled in local affairs and Chaffetz wants to win points at home in Provo by screwing with the civil rights of DC citizens.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:02AM

Date: October 02, 2010 11:04AM

I don't see much difference.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.