Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:07PM

Apparently it was announced in conference today that there will be new temples in Hartford, CT and Indianapolis, IN.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:32PM

I heard they are opening/building one right across the street from the Vatican!! Lets see em' try to convert all of Vatican City? Yah right, like thats gonna happen! Do you think the pope will let them give the lessons from the mishies? Ha ha...NOT!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 01:37PM by Heresy.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:39PM

The temples they have are generally VERY severely underutilized. They make for nice trophies but they are merely hollow shells.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:56PM

"... they are generally VERY severely underutilized. They make for nice trophies but they are merely hollow shells."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 01:57PM by CA girl.

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:10PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:54PM

They are definitely hollow shells...Maybe the LD$ goons and cronies ought to spend the $ on cleaning the ward houses they have now instead of wasting all that concrete and lumber on new buildings!! I would challenge them to see if they can match that artwork in the Vatican...they cannot and are too afraid to admit it. I dont see paintings on their temple cielings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 01:54PM by orangecat.

Posted by: searcher68 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:17PM

I live in Indianapolis and the temple members attend here is the Louisville temple, about 2 1/2 hour drive. I know that it is underutilized. You have to call ahead to tell them you are coming so you will know if they are even having the session. The schedule of sessions is very limited. I know members here who go to Columbus, OH because it takes about the same amount of time and getting there is much easier.

So my question is, why a temple here if all the temples within driving distance are not used much? Is it just to continue the illusion of growth? Between unused temples and a multi-billion dollar mall it seems that they sure have money to burn. Meanwhile, tens of thousands go without (but not the GAs) so the "prophet" can throw it away!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:24PM

Yes, they want the members to feel like the Chruch is growing- it is all about illusion. Your point about the ones 2 or 3 hrs. away being underutilized says a lot. Your money wasted.

Posted by: Ladybug ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:59PM

I think they should build it over in Brownsburg...

Posted by: Anonohoosier ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:02PM

Rumor has it (already) that a possible site for the temple is in Avon across the street from Clarion West Hospital on Ronald Reagan Parkway.

Personally I figured they would build the thing in more affluent Hamilton County.

But what do I know?

Date: October 02, 2010 11:06PM

Especially since the Fisher's/Noblesville area is fast growing. But if cost and taxes are looked at, I can see them looking south. I just threw in the Brownburg for an Exmo I know that lives there. But, really that wouldn't be a bad place. How about the old Colts complex by Eagle Creek? LOL!

Date: October 02, 2010 11:29PM

Okay, I thought of the perfect places for it...Anderson who has cheap property, low taxes and a strong (national headquarters)Church of God influence OR Elwood who historically has one of the strongest KKK groups in the state.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:51PM

I seem to recall that a Hartford location was announced years ago (mid-90s) and was to serve NY and New England. Later, the Hartford plan was scrapped in favor of a Boston and a New York temple.

The original temple announcement for the NY area was Harrison, NY (wealthy Westchester County suburb, right off I-287) but the town of Harrison imposed a LOT of restrictions (no night lighting, reduction in size and height, no pageants, hours of operation, plus they would have had to run water and sewage lines under Kenilworth Road). Eventually TSCC gave up, the Harrison location quietly disappeared from the church website, and GBH announced a new temple for Manhattan (conversion of an existing stake center on Broadway across from Lincoln Center).

To accomplish this, the ground-floor retail space of the Manhattan building was closed, existing tenants had to move out, and the ground floor (with windows now removed) was used for part of the temple. I think the building has six floors. Three are for temple use, and three are for ward/stake use. LDS built another stake center in Manhattan, so that I think the temple building now only hosts a ward but not a stake center (half the space was given over to temple use).

They used to have a lobby with an elevator for upper floors. I imagine they had to rework the lobby to provide a first floor temple entrance plus retain the elevator going to the ward floors.

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:14PM

mollymormonfaker, do you really still pretend to be a good mormon? people don't know you're out? That's how i am. can't break it to the fam, they'd be devastated.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:20PM

What do they care if the buildings are "underutilized."

The heat and lights are turned off, on the days they aren't used.

Their cleaning and maintenance staffs are all Mormon volunteers.

The actual building of the new building is done by Mormons called to specific "work missions." The supervisors can also be work-missionaries, or paid relatives of GA's who need a job. I know these people! They are carpenters, contractors, and landscapers. Now their sons are following in their footsteps.

I'll bet the architects and designers work for free, too. You pay for what you get--cheap, gaudy, Las Vegas hideousness!

I don't know anything about the actual building materials, though. It would be interesting to find out where those come from....

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 08:16PM

I don't pretend anywhere near much as I used to, but I still can't break it to my family either (or DH's). My parents are in the same stake and DH's parents are in the adjoining stake, so we have to be careful.

We haven't gone to the temple in years, we haven't blessed our baby, DH is skipping the PH session of conference again, we only go to sacrament meeting, no garments, no callings, etc. So there's obvious clues if people pay attention, but we don't come outright and say anything. The good people on this board have wisely advised to take it slow with telling people even though that's the last thing you want to do.

Keeping the peace with the families is the best option for now. Hopefully someday we can be free, but we're slowly dropping hints when we can. To what degree do you fake it? Do you have a recommend and all that?

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:56PM

i fake it best i can, just can't disappoint the family. no temple recommend, but most members never go anyways, so nobody would really be suspicious of me not ever going. also, i work on sundays, which gives me an easy out for church meetings. so, it's easy to fake for now...

Posted by: cam ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:51PM

Where in Hartford?? I live in a suburb of Hartford and this is the first I've heard of this. I knew they were trying to open a temple in the 90s but this is New England which stops new growth with massive restrictions. There aren't enough members in the state to support a temple and Hartford is only a 90 min. drive to Boston and 2 hours to Manhattan. Plus the only thing in Hartford is Insurance buildings and even they are moving to the suburbs. The City has a ton of schemes to revitalize-maybe the temple is part of those. In that case the church might even get hosed. There is not a grocery store or movie theater inside of the town. Hartford ain't Mesa. BWA HA HA HA

Date: October 02, 2010 10:35PM

I wonder, wonder where the temple will be in Indianapolis. My guess would be the NW suberb. I just hope it is not down the street from me...Blah

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.