Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:32PM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12664068

>"I repeat what prophets have long taught — that every worthy, able young man should prepare to serve a mission," he said. "Missionary service is a priesthood duty — an obligation the Lord expects of us who have been given so very much."

>"While young-adult women don't carry the same responsibility or obligation as their male counterparts, "you also make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome your service," President Monson said." (MY WORDS: condescention toward females!)

>"Expressing appreciation for the senior couples who serve missions and acknowledging the need for many more to join them, the 83-year-old man revered by Mormons as their prophet urged adult members to prepare for the time when retirement and health permits such service."

>"There are few times in your lives when you will enjoy the sweet spirit and satisfaction that come from giving full-time service together in the work of the Master."

It is obvious that Monson is stepping up the game, as far as missions go. It is now "a Priesthood duty...an obligation the Lord expects...."

Monson gives FALSE PROMISES to senior missionaries. The senior missionaries I'm close to--the ones who speak the truth in confidence to me--have had horrible mission experiences. Overwork, exhaustion, bad health, deaths in the family; plus problems at home they can't take care of, such as family divorces, business bankruptcy, a business partner defrauding the business. No promised blessings have been given to these couples.

Anyway, my point is, I am wondering WHY the big push for missionaries, and how this could help the LDS, Inc. financially, even though the missionary efforts are failing.

What is the cash amount that parents pay the LDS Inc. per missionary? After missionary travel and expenses are deducted, how much profit is made by LDS, Inc.? LDS is asking members to house the missionaries for free (yet not lowering their donation request from parents), missionaries are not allotted enough money for food, and no proper medical/dental care, etc. Some of my senior missionary friends stayed in overpriced LDS-owned apartments. Multiply that small profit by the number of missionaries, and you get the bottom line.

Does anyone know what this amount of money would be?

Add to this, a mission provides a reason for each missionary to attend the temple, and a reason for the parents to attend the temple, also. That means tithing for temple recommends for the new missionary and family. This would bring in a fair amount of church income, though not as much as weddings.

The mission is focused on the missionary and his family--to further entrap them in the cult, and keep them paying for generations, marrying in the temple, having babies that are forced BIC members (like I was), and so on.

Then a lightbulb went on in my head, that there is another reason: The LDS, Inc. just wants as many new members as possible! They don't care about the quality of the members or their faithfulness, as long as they can get their slave labor and numbers to advertise. Of course, the LDS hopes to get new members to the level of paying tithing, and even if it is only for a few months or years--this money is NOT REFUNDABLE!

Those of us who got out, can never get our money back, or our free labor. This is what LDS is counting on!

The LDS, Inc. fully understands that the sheeple will keep funnelling into the holding pen, and eventually some will find the holes in the fence and escape. LDS will just go with the flow, and keep whatever they can take. They will fleece the sheep as they funnel through.

(OT--The whole Mormon religion is just a front for their biggest business, which is real estate. The church serves to get LDS Inc. tax-free status on its properties. Announcing 5 new temples is announcing 5 new parcels of prime land LDS holds without having to pay taxes.)

The LDS, Inc. will keep on demanding and giving false promises, just like Monson did this morning. Whatever works. The people be damned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:45PM

WOW_WOW_and WOW! It makes me sick the pressure Monson is putting on these young men to serve missions. I would bet a good percentage of them should never even go on missions for many reasons. But they HAVE to because all their friends are and they risk humiliation and gossip etc. if they don't go. The pressure is on because baptisms have lessened and the morg can't have that. I so wish the gig was up and the whole world new the truth.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:50PM

"come back from the dark corners to the light and join us". I do not feel like I am in the dark. He should though.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:55PM

mav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "come back from the dark corners to the light and
> join us". I do not feel like I am in the dark.
> He should though.

This kind of stuff is not for us. It's for the "faithful" to hear and think how much better off they are than we are. This is like "push polling."

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:50PM

What's the real deal with President Monson not serving a mission? Did the prophets back in the 1940's not push missionary service due to WW2? Has he ever spoken on why he didn't go?

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:53PM

to serve at all cost.

So much for the raising the bar revelation.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:56PM

Bingo! You've got it. It's all about money, money, money. It's a corporation, and their product is their "Gospel," making eternal promises that they never have to prove they can provide.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:02PM

But where will they send them? Idaho, Utah and Arizona? They seem to be pulling back missions because no one is being baptized anymore (at least in Europe and Asia). In the moridor they are everywhere.

I see these guys every day (I'm in the moridor) and sometimes I will see 3 or 4 companion sets in a day. I don't know what they do all day. We have very few baptisms in our Stake, but these guys can be seen walking the streets all the time.

Is it to strengthen the members and the mishies? I really don't get it. Indoctrinate the less active?

I truly don't get why any young man would go on a mission in this day and age. But that is just me.

Posted by: mireille ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:28PM

You too, hunh? I live in the Moridor too and I see TONS of mishies out and about. And it's not like I'm always out and about too because I'm not.

Hey church, we're the burned-over district here, you can send the missionaries somewhere else besides the eastern Phoenix burbs.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 09:18PM

I once saw a set of missionaries tracting outside a dry dock store. The poor lady was just trying to get in her car.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:03PM

Tommy also needs more missionaries to help run the for-profit arms of the LDS Corporation. The Deseret Ranch lands in Florida? Missionary worker bees. Doing the legal work related to water rights? Missionary worker bees.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:30PM

"Work Missions" are rampant in our neighborhood.

We know that most of the clerical and staff jobs in the COB and the Geneological Library have been replaced by missionaries. That's right!

One of my senior missionary friends is teaching in an LDS school, as part of his mission. He did that for a living when he left. Another is a computer programmer, and he's doing that on his mission. Another is a lawyer, that just finished some sort of legal thing (now I wonder if it had to do with the Saporo temple, because he was there!) with a whole team of retired lawyer/missionaries.

Worker bees on all levels.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:26PM

Why can't the GA's, apostles, and profit live off their retirement and Social Security checks while serving the church? These other members are willing to donate their highly paid skills for free, why not the top leadership?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:42PM

I wonder if the number of 19 yo male missionary volunteers has been dropping. Is that wishful thinking?

Missions weren't mandatory for young men in Monson's day. Far fewer went and there was no stigma for skipping it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 06:42PM by Heresy.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:51PM

When did it become mandatory?

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 07:10PM

Yep. Kimball laid it on pretty thick.

The pressure was intense.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:03PM

And wasn't Kimball another non-missionary prophet?

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:18PM

get sealed in the temple until after a non temple marraige ceremony

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 08:14PM

Do as I say, not as I do

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 08:42PM

Pushing missions is to help keep a long-term source of revenue for LDS Inc. active.

Men and women who serve missions are usuallly more likely to marry in Temple, have kids, and have all of their kids do likewise--which is how they can best keep tithing revenues flowing in.

If people weren't encouraged to go on missions, temple attendance would be way down from what it already is... esp. temple marriages.

Guys who go on missions are usually a sure bet for their tithing dollars, although it's not a guarantee anymore--since lots of RMs on on this site! LOL But I'll bet many of the TBM ex mishies on this site spent several years forking over tithing dollars before discovering the fraud that is Mormonism

Posted by: cam ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:12PM

My understanding is that many seniors who serve missions are replacing paid workers in church office buildings or businesses. When a 19 year old goes on a mission, they are generally free from major life responsibilities like mortgages, children, careers. Mom and dad are home and can generally take care of all the "earthly" things that come up. Older, more established couples have it more difficult, and I think they are making more of a sacrifice. I think the church should be ashamed. These senior "missionaries" think they will be helping the needy or doing the lord's work but end up doing filing in a church office building. Shame.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:53AM

If not Monson, it was another apostle from a few years ago, but I thought Monson.

Posted by: bobcat ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:35PM

I cannot now remember which historical character said it, but your post reminded me of this statement in regards to the Pope back in, I think, Medieval times who was demanding tithing, tithing, tithing: "As Spiritual Leader, it is his duty to lead the sheep to pasture, not to fleece them!!" When Professor Parker told that story in Medieval European History class years ago, it took me 5 minutes to stop laughing. Fleecing the sheeple so appropriately describes the main goal of the Morg.

Posted by: foolserrand2 ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:46PM

Major fleecing of the sheeple! Don't these people realize they are listening to a salesman in a suit trying to sell them snake oil or phony all curing prayer cloths.

Posted by: Not Wife #19 ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:28PM

I'll tell you exactly why the push for "senior" missionaries--employees (whom they don't have to pay) for their multi-billion dollar corporations. LDS.org used to (maybe still does?) post/advertise for seniors with very specific experience, i.e. "water law." A couple I know went to Hawaii and he worked as an accountant (his retired profession) for Hawaii Reserves, Inc. (church-owned). He must have been really good, because they extended his "mission" to over 2 years. I didn't even know they could do that. (Well, of course, they can do anything they want.)

The water law above was actually a posting for a Florida mission. After some Internet searching, I found that Florida's water department had brought a lawsuit against Farmland Reserve (also church-owned). It's a travesty to use people who should be spending their money and time on themselves, after working hard for many years, to PAY TSCC for the privilege of serving them. In fact, I think the cost for seniors varies, but a couple in England (as I remember) was paying TSCC $3500/month. Does that sound right?

Anyway, in their sexist ways, it's usually only the husband they want. The wife seems to just go along as part of the deal. They don't seem to consider that "sisters" would even have any skills that they could use.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:48PM

Uh....I thought Monson did NOT serve a mission in his 20's because he was already married...yet...NOW it's a PH duty.

He can serve one as a senior now like other seniors do..

Put up or shut up Tommy

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 03:17PM

One of my best friends went on a church history mission (in Germany) and came home 6 months early (she and her husband). She has yet to tell me why they came home early. I do know that they got shuffled around a lot because they weren't needed at the church history library, so then worked with singles and there weren't enough singles to work with, sent out to find more singles, none of them wanted to come back, worked with missionaries. I got angry at one of her preaching e-mails (which she is always careful not to send me, but mistakenly sent me) and I quit writing to her. Next thing I know, my ex tells me, "Saw _______________ "--I have asked her why they came home and she won't tell me.

A couple my mother knew--they worked for a church welfare farm--not in Utah--and they said if they didn't KNOW the church was true, their mission would have sent them running.

Finally--my ex has a coworker who just retired. He was called to work at the church employment office in Logan. He is NOT TOO HAPPY about it. He says he works harder now than when he was WORKING.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 03:48PM

I don't believe that the missionaries efforts bring converts (by any numbers that would add value that is) or enough tithing. Missionaries are having a heck of a time getting anyone baptized.
I do believe that the missionary effort is now merely there as an insurance to the church that you may stay, it is an investiment of time on your part, and money on everyone's part. As many of us who have left well know, it is hard to come to grips of the lie we have been told, because we try, and others try, to look at the time investment we have made to a cause, and this makes it hard to leave it.
It is hard to believe something is false, if you: attend church every sunday, go to all meetings, serve a mission, serve a calling....for years and years. The more time is invested in something, the harder it is to look at ourselves in the mirror and realize we have been duped.
Just me 2 cents.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 05:25PM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12664068
>
> >"I repeat what prophets have long taught — that
> every worthy, able young man should prepare to
> serve a mission," he said.

"long" being about the last 35 years or so.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 09:46PM

a couple who are currently serving in the US midwest and spending their entire mission trying to keep the young adults from going inactive

a woman who did a church PR mission in Europe

a couple who returned recently from a "church finance mission" in Europe, teaching branches and wards abroad how to use their money properly. The husband was excited in his homecoming talk to report he had helped the Europeans learn to "use the widow's mite responsibly, as the Savior would."

Also, I know someone who works in the COB and who told me they don't have part time jobs available there any more because they are all filled by senior missionaries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.