Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 05:46PM

The original link:

https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/reverence?lang=eng
(hilarious 2 minutes in, with additional gems at the very end)

3 short clips:
1-teaching leaders and members about meetinghouse care
2-calling a stake physical facilities coordinator
3-understanding the meeting house care program

https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/effective-leadership/stake-president?lang=eng

My favorite is the understanding clips in which members are told their lack of cleaning inhibits non-members, that the program wasn't done for fiscal reasons, and that the program improves the reverence of the members

Other videos links:
Program Organization (includes nifty diagrams)
https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/program-organization?lang=eng

Nitty Gritty Details(inspections)
Enjoy the nazi guy.
https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/effective-leadership/stake-physical-facilities-rep?lang

How to get members to do it.
-inviting everyone to participate
-reminding members of their assignments
https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/effective-leadership/ward-building-rep?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:27PM

Scrub, Scrub Ye Saints,

No toil or labor fear....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 09:07PM

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 08:35AM

Let it flow

Tidy bowl

Posted by: Sirius Lee ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:29PM

UG! Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!
So hard to know where to start....

"It makes people feel a sense of ownership for their meeting house"

Yeah, till the boundaries change.
These aren't people's buildings, they are churchco's buildings and the sheeple will get shuffled around in whichever way makes the bottom line look best.

I wonder how often the church VIP's scrub toilets?
Yeah-NEVER!
I bet they are laughing their asses off though!

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: December 27, 2014 11:50PM

good points

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:04PM

I cannot believe their chutzpah in making this video. It is so self serving and sanctimonious.

1) cleaning the church is not service. If you want service, go cut the old folks' lawns, or help out at the public library. There is no charitable gain by firing the janitors. This just saves them money.

2) speaking of money, why should I pay thousands a year to them in tithing, and then have to scrub their toilets? What are they doing with my money? The number of times they say "it is not about the money," means that it is all about the money.

3) do these people not have better ways to spend their time, like cleaning their own homes or studying for school? As an LDS teen, I was so busy with work, school and seminary, I rarely got enough sleep.

They are exploiting these people and they know it. It really makes me ill to watch this heavy handed video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 11:17PM by axeldc.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:35PM

Has anyone ever felt like these people talk?

Does anybody really believe what they say?

I would think LD$.inc would have problem with the 'lawd' owning the meeting houses...

When I look at these, I think I know why Haldol and Thorazine were made...

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:54PM

"This is not a church of volunteerism. It is a church of assignments." Goes on to outline ways to get it all done.

Date: January 14, 2013 01:07PM

I learned a new word last year at work: voluntold. It's where you are told that you are doing something that is nominally optional. The church operates under this premise. Your service is voluntary, but you are told to do it.

The church acts like it owns you. You are not appreciated for your efforts like normal volunteers are. Your donations are not received with gratitude, but but begrudgingly accepted as if you are behind on your debts to them. You do not give anything to the church; you are merely rendering to them what they already own: your time, talents, finances, family and sweat. Anything less is theft.

When you are given a "calling", you have to respond. There is no acknowledgement that you have a choice. They are doing you a favor. They exploit the ambitions of those men who want to rise in the ranks, so they work 10-20 hours outside their normal jobs and families.

A guy with a 50 hour a week professional job and 4 kids is expected to not only give 10% of his $100k salary, or nearly $1k a month, but also to act as head janitor of the church he is paying to attend. Never mind that he is a CPA, has a masters in accounting, runs his own business, and knows nothing about building maintenance other than how to file taxes. He is expected to learn all about managing a building, and then doing so with a voluntold workforce who has lives, careers, responsibilities and problems of their own.

I would hate to have the building manager job. It's a professional job that should be remunerated for $30-$50k, and they expect it done for free by someone with a full time job and a family to support and care for. Since most women have to work these days to make ends meet, his wife will be stuck having to care for the kids and home while he is taking care of the Lard's house for free.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 27, 2014 10:33PM

Every Member a Janitor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "This is not a church of volunteerism. It is a
> church of assignments." Goes on to outline ways
> to get it all done.

That is the money line that should be used the next time Tom Phillips sues them.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 01:54PM

This abuse wiill end when the members start saying NO and/or walk away.

Date: January 14, 2013 04:08PM

I left the day I realized that the church had no power over me. The only power it has is what I gave it. Once I said, "No", the spell was broken.

There is nothing they can do to you that you do not allow.

Posted by: nealster ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:05PM

If people complain to public health officials about the uncleanliness of church buildings it'll make news and then tscc will have to do something about it, like having the correctly qualified persons to do the job.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 05:56PM

Bringing Souls to Christ!!?? It seems that the morg is grasping at straws!! Just how is cleaning toilets, vacuuming, etc bringing souls to Christ!!??
It's not about saving money!!?? Yeah right!

Nitty Gritty Details(inspections)
Enjoy the nazi guy.

This link below is dead!
https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/effective-leadership/stake-physical-facilities-rep?lang

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 06:24PM

My mom said that she enjoys cleaning the church building because with the money that they safe they are supporting the poor people in the ward. She said that it was revelation from the lord to safe money on janitors so members can help each other especially in those difficult times we are having right now.
I said that one of the janitors was a single lds female who did that job for over 10 years and she used to get paid for it. Now she lost her job. My mom said that the lord will bless that lds woman with an even better job. When I said to my mom that the lds church gets plenty of tithing money to help it's members and that they didn't need to safe on janitors she flipped out. She said that no other religion donates as much money as the lds church does. When I said that the lds church is buying a mall and has a lot of land she said that the lds church is all about serving the poor.
:) :) :) my mom is a true TBM she works at least 50 hours a week if not 60 hours but she still makes time to clean to toilettes at church one time she cleaned the toilettes at 11pm on Saturday so that they are clean for Sunday because she had tow ork that Sunday.

Posted by: That Little Briggy Went Wee ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 06:40PM

I've told this story on here before, but it has been a few years. My ex-husband and I fooled around a little bit before we were married in the temple. We didn't do the big deed, but we did some stuff. We decided, together, that we would not confess it before we married. I felt guilty about it after, so I convinced my ex-husband to confess it with me. We were immediately released from our normal callings and were given the new calling of cleaning the building. We got naughty in the building, so this video about reverence in relation to cleaning the building made me chuckle. We were so not reverent. Ha.

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 08:21PM

If the church's General Authorities don't care enough to pay for proper professional care of the local buildings they say they "love" -- then why should I?

Building a Billion-Dollar Mall obviously had a HIGHER priority for the General Authorities than keeping Ward Houses clean. I intend to follow their priority example - on Saturday morning you won't find me near any Ward House, I'm going shopping (at The Gateway)!

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 08:44PM

Come come ye Saints,

No toilet paper here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2014 08:45PM by laurel.

Posted by: somewhere out there ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 08:51PM

There is and has been a general lack of consistency with this approach to cleaning. Imagine the various interpretations of "clean" held by all the different members who attend any given ward. Cleaning is more than emptying the trash, pushing an industrial size vacuum cleaner up and down the halls, wiping down windows, and spraying down bathrooms with inferior cleaning products.

Maintaining any property is more about proper disinfecting, straightening, organizing, polishing, pest control, and a number of other duties that don't get done when ambivalent "volunteers" are told to clean. It's not just a feel good activity that can bring families together under a banner of service. These videos dramatize this "opportunity" in typical LDS fashion meant to pull on the emotional heartstrings of the unsuspecting. I agree that the best thing to do is say "no". Only then will church headquarters react to something they can no longer control.

Don't get me wrong, but there's nothing wrong with volunteer service. Cleaning the building, however, is not volunteerism. It's an ASSIGNMENT 99% of the time! Imagine that. Now, you wonder where all the pride in a job well done goes when you're doing something reluctantly. Just say no.

But, most of us know it's another mental control mechanism and has been since its inception.

Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 09:30PM

Scrubbing toilets in flip flops. That kinda makes me cringe.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 09:59PM

"And not just history and our public image and doctrine as well. We're scrubbing the small fonts for John, the Baptist plumber we fired."

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 10:07PM

Busted Bitch in 1st clip - at 1:33 she is cleaning oven in a sleeveless striped shirt (NO GARMIES!!)
Is it bad form to wear garmies while scrubbing filth from the disgusting members?

"do these people not have better ways to spend their time, like cleaning their own homes or studying for school?" - or laying flat on their backs getting knocked up?

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: December 26, 2014 10:15PM

Actually, I think the Church is OK with non-endowed, non-temple recommend holding, or otherwise unworthy members cleaning the facilities. It's one of the few callings (is that what it is?) where worthiness isn't important. I dounbt anyone is formally set apart for this "privilege". They'll take anyone as long as you can use a toilet brush...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 27, 2014 11:43PM

Yup;

scrubbing toilets needs organization & motivating vids.

but, Only in Mormonism.

too bad leaders aren't billed for all the bureaucratic red tape, but the members pay for it!

Date: December 27, 2014 11:58PM

if they are the Lard's facilities, shouldn't he be cleaning them? Lazy no good savior forcing his underlings to do his dirty work.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 02:38AM

full time LDS missions can be key training for a life time of
being a dutiful MORmON member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9VDRe17heE

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 03:09AM

at least when your mish is over... you don't have to be responsible-accountable <for each & every minute of your time> to someone who's PAID to be your overlord... while you SPEND $ that could have gone to your education, travel-recreation, or invested....

and while you're at it... remember the MP is (assumed to be) having sex while you're 'toughing it out', pretending your hormones/sex drive left on the last train for Who'sVille.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 03:10AM by GNPE.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 03:28AM

Every Member a Janitor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The original link:

> Other videos links:
> Program Organization (includes nifty diagrams)
> https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/pro
> gram-organization?lang=eng

This religion is clearly a doctrinal joke, but could still be an operational success.

Alas, it is an operational joke as well.

All men in ties, the more impotent let's make that important wearing suits.

A dearth of women until. Duties of cleaning a building.

This is a joke of a belief system. Choosing to participating in this organization reflects badly on the individual for multiple reasons.

Too bad its comfortable, doesn't change that it is a joke.

Living a joke and being a chump. Not my lifestyle choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 03:29AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 06:47AM

That one guy had some fungus or something creeping up his neck. Just sayin' I wouldn't want to use anything he touched.

Brainwashing language at its finest! People "have the opportunity to", they "get their chance to", are "assigned to" are "called by God to" clean the bathrooms! So much more edifying than helping the needy!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 06:51AM

They say it's an assignment, but the title of the video is "inviting people to participate." Which is it.

That Bishop buy had a herpes sore on his lip. This does not bode well.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 28, 2014 07:02AM

So glad I was never LDS.

This is utter BS.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 10:09AM

Now that I'm no longer under the mormon spell, I can't stand watching the whole video, it seems so fake and so manipulative. And that guy at the beginning looks like he wants to burst in laughter as he probably doesn't even believe himself what he is saying. LOL.

Date: December 29, 2014 10:37AM

Mormon brain washing & toilet washing at work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.