Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 08:15AM

In the following link an aspect of President Uchtdorf's official biography is being questioned.

Is he just a disciple of Paul Dunn or did the world news media overlook his vital role in rescuing hostages from terrorists?

Sorry, can't post the link so here is an excerpt :-

"This is a quote from Dieter's biography on lds.org:

Quote:
On December 17, 1973, the president of Lufthansa German Airlines received alarming news. Five terrorists had hijacked a Lufthansa 737 jet in Rome, Italy, and were making their way to Athens, Greece, with hostages on board. In an instant, Lufthansa’s president ordered into the air his chief pilot for the 737 fleet. Thirty-three-year-old Dieter F. Uchtdorf was to take a small group of emergency personnel and follow the hijacked plane wherever the guerrillas took it. In every setting possible he was to negotiate for the release of the plane, the pilots, and the hostages. Then, when all of this had been accomplished, he was to fly the hijacked 737 back to headquarters in Frankfurt.
With fortunately no more bloodshed, this mission, like so many others he had been on personally and professionally, was successfully accomplished.

http://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostle ... f?lang=eng

Now this may or may not be accurate, but let's assume for a moment that it is.
Why has the Church, with Dieter's permission, seen fit to make this paragraph the first part of Dieter's 'biography' on lds.org?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for it's accuracy:

Lufthansa hijacking

Quote:
Other gunmen took several Italian hostages and Lufthansa ground crewmembers into a Lufthansa Boeing 737 waiting to depart for Munich. An Italian customs officer was shot dead on the ground after resisting. The plane, containing Captain Joe Kroese, the first officer, two flight attendants, two ground crew, and eight Italian hostages, took off for Athens, Greece on the orders of the five terrorists also on board. After landing in Athens, the terrorists demanded by radio the release of two Palestinian gunmen responsible for a previous attack on an Athens airport terminal lounge. They claimed to have killed five hostages, including the plane's first officer. The terrorists also threatened to crash the jet in the middle of Athens if their demands were not met. In reality, only one Italian hostage had been killed and one wounded. The plane took off again from Athens after sixteen hours on the ground and after the gunmen had released the wounded hostage and dumped the body of the dead hostage onto the tarmac.
The plane next headed for Beirut, where Lebanese authorities refused to allow landing, and blocked the runway with vehicles. Cyprus also refused to allow landing. The guerrillas on board finally ordered the plane to be landed in Damascus, Syria, allegedly because the plane was running low on fuel. In Syria, Air Force Commander Major General Naji Jamil attempted to persuade the Palestinians to release the hostages, but they refused. The Syrians provided food and refueled the plane. They also treated a head injury suffered by one of the hijackers. The plane took off again after about two to three hours.
The commandeered jet next headed for Kuwait, where Kuwaiti authorities refused to allow it to land. Captain Kroese was ordered by the terrorists to land anyway on a secondary runway. An hour of negotiations between the Palestinian gunmen and the Kuwaiti authorities ended with the release of all twelve remaining hostages in exchange for "free passage" to an unknown destination for the hijackers. The terrorists were permitted to retain their weapons and made a V-for-victory sign with their hands upon leaving the plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Fli ... _hijacking

I think the Church tries to make it sound as though DFU was in harms way and instrumental in the hostage release, whereas the reality seems to be that he flew a few people around for an hour or two."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 08:26AM

From my Bio:

In 1987, Raptor Jesus stated that his name was Adam, Prince of Eternia, and that fabulous secret powers had been revealed to him the day he held aloft his sword and said:

By the Power of Greyskull. I have the power!!!!!

---------------

All of that is totally true. I said that a lot back in 1987.

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 08:41AM

I don't see his name mentioned in the "Key German rescue personnel list"... That of course doesn't mean he wasn't dispatched to Rome at the time, it just means he didn't play a key role in the rescue operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181#Key_German_rescue_personnel

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 02:35PM

Lufthansa 181 is a different hijacking that occurred in 1977. The hijacking that Holland is referencing about Dieter U was December 17, 1973, the same day that a Pan Am 707 was detroyed and 31 people died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_110

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 03:07PM

oopsie... Thanks for finding the correct link.

Still, I can't find official mention of Uchtdorf's role, can you? I also searched in German, but to no avail.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 09:02AM

Didn't Uchtdorf only become a pilot because his budding football career in the German Budesliga was cut short? I had always heard that he was a young starter for Bayern München, and his career was ended when he got a serious hamstring injury. So he had to become a pilot for Lufthansa due to his serious good looks.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 09:08AM

these days if I see something written by the church on the internet I have found you need to take a screen shot to preserve it.

they must have an army of people changing information as fast as they read stuff on here. I really wonder about the type of person that has that job. Why would you do that? troll for negative information, then change it. maybe they are two different groups, one that trolls and another that gets the orders to change the info. Still someone is seeing the fraud right up front and doing something about it to make it look better than it is. They must have a huge ole' sack of cog diss to pack around every day telling themselves that this lying is really 'good' for everyone.

I wonder what it does to your integrity to pound it every day like that? Maybe it burns people out and they have to get new ones a lot too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 09:14AM by sparkyguru.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:37AM

Sparkyguru said,

"I really wonder about the type of person that has that job."

I see a 37 year old guy laid off from his job six years ago living in his mothers basement.

He logs on to his shift monitoring RfM at 0030. Wearing his full temple outfit for protection, he raises his arm to the square and starts to read.

Upon finding a nuggett for his SLC handlers, he fires off a screen shot.

With a self-satisfied sigh he dips another Eggo in the bowl of syrup and continues the lords work.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:01PM

You make it sound like living in your mom's basement is a bad thing.

Hilarious visual. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 01:56PM

So that's where the memory hole is? Mom's basement?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:30AM

The key phrase here is "he was to," which is hypothetical. Apparently, he did not do those things "he was to," for whatever reason. It is the verbal equivalent of inserting Forrest Gump into historical scenes. Whoever wrote the piece apparently intended Elder Uchtdorf to be brightened by his (periphery) association with the events. It's a dishonest manipulation.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:55AM

Good observation robertb. They use "he was to" and explain all he was to do. Then the following paragraph only says that the mission was succesfully accomplished, leading the reader to believe he actually did all they say, but without saying it.

This also sounds ficticious: "In an instant, Lufthansa's pesident ordered in to the air his chief pilot".

Well, I think it would have taken more than an instant to decide what to do. The way it is described here sounds like the movies.

I also noticed that in this same biography it says he was made manager of the 737 fleet in 1972, but he is described as the chief pilot in the opening paragraph.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:36AM

LOL. Poor Uchtdorf. He's dunn.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33425208.jpg

And the original LDS.ORG link to his bio is here:

http://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/what-are-prophets/bio/dieter-f-uchtdorf?lang=eng

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 11:15AM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: Superhero Watch ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:38AM

It's a bird, it's a plane, no its SuperDeet. Who disguised as a humble First Presidency counselor named Dietr fights a neverending battle for Truth, Justice, and the German Way.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 10:55AM

It's too bad, really. He seems like an exceptional person, but unfortunately in egocentric Mormonism, even exceptional isn't enough. You have to be a hero--or shall we say god-like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 10:56AM by robertb.

Date: January 16, 2013 11:10AM

Your link has already disappeared, rather quickly.

I have been an airline pilot for almost 30 years and my family has been in airline cockpits since the thirties. The story is ridiculous. Airlines do not send captains out to negotiate with terrorists.

It seems that Dieter spent most of his time with the airline in an office. He had a relatively short career as a line pilot at only 10 years, according to his bios, before heading to an office. He worked for the airline 31 years, as far as I can tell.

Chief pilots and senior vice presidents of airlines are not always looked upon favorably by the line pilot. Many times they are hired guns for management and viewed as turncoats to their profession. They usually can never return to the line flying because they are so disliked. They are not chosen because of their flying skills, but due to their willingness to discipline fellow pilots and generally follow management orders. I don't know the guy, but he is not someone that I would have wanted know.

In his bio it mentions "director of in-flight services". That means that he was head of the flight attendants for some undefined period.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 11:20AM by No Mo.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 11:48AM

Say no more, the fact that Holland penned it says it all.

Case closed. Next.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 02:20PM

However, it has stood there for a long time and Dieter has done nothing to edit or alter it, so he must by default agree with it.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 02:36PM

Yes, Elder Holland may have been guilty of publishing a lie or embellishment, but he must have got the germ of the story from Elder Uchtdorf.

Ultimately Elder Uchtdorf is the deceiver (liar) for not correcting the bio or Elder Holland's published talk.

I cannot believe that I once revered these men.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 04:53PM

I love how LDS Inc. always attributes every single "good" decision to "The Spirit."

Maybe it was common sense, or intelligence?

"On one occasion, President Uchtdorf’s mother was in a public auditorium with her children. She was impressed to leave immediately and scurried away with her children as quickly as possible. Shortly thereafter, the building was destroyed by an act of war. Most occupants of the auditorium were killed. Sister Uchtdorf and her children were spared."

"One time while piloting an airplane, President Uchtdorf survived a steering control failure that led to a condition that, uncorrected, would cause the plane to crash. By listening to and following the Spirit, President Uchtdorf was able to fix the problem and make a successful emergency landing. He acknowledges the hand of the Lord in allowing him to survive such an ordeal."

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 06:22PM

The thing that irks me most about the good outcome being the hand of TheLord or the promptings of TheSpirit is it then follows that bad outcomes (death, injury, etc.) are TheLord not giving a damn about those people or withholding the warning because they weren't worthy enough to receive and/or follow TheSpirit. Instead of whispering in one or two ears,
TheLord could have commandeered the sound system and saved everyone, but then we all would have missed out on another smugly superior G.A. anecdote.

Contrast Brother Uchtdorf's reliance on the intervention of a capricious and temperamental God with Captain Sullenberger's skilled life-saving ditch into the Hudson River in 2009:

"Asked if he [Captain Sullenberger] at any point prayed, he told Couric, 'I would imagine somebody in back was taking care of that for me while I was flying the airplane.'

'My focus at that point was so intensely on the landing,' he said. 'I thought of nothing else.'"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-4783580.html

Given the choice, I'd board the plane of the skilled, focused, cool-under-pressure Captain Sully every time over the plane piloted by the eyes-closed, arms-folded, precious-seconds-wasting prayer-man, even Captain Uchtdorf.

And thanks to AnointedOne and Jesus Smith for keeping the bright light focused on TheBrethren and their BS claims, conclusions, and confabulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 06:31PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 06:58PM

Surrender Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Asked if he at any point prayed, he told Couric,
> 'I would imagine somebody in back was taking care
> of that for me while I was flying the airplane.'

Best line!!

Date: January 16, 2013 07:14PM

Exmosis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> "One time while piloting an airplane, President
> Uchtdorf survived a steering control failure that
> led to a condition that, uncorrected, would cause
> the plane to crash. By listening to and following
> the Spirit, President Uchtdorf was able to fix the
> problem and make a successful emergency landing.
> He acknowledges the hand of the Lord in allowing
> him to survive such an ordeal."

I know of at least two cases on foreign carriers where there were accidents with 100% fatalities where the voice recorder recorded the captain praying when he should have been trying to save his aircraft, crew and passengers. Give me a secular humanist, atheist any day over the religious captain. I want my pilots relying on their own skill and knowledge and not divine intervention from a capricious invisible friend who choses whom he will save.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 11:54AM

Most corporations deal with their laundering by splitting up the job, as one poster above suggested.

One person flags the material from RfM by sending a screenshot to someone else, who assembles a daily threat report for PR. If it is a TOP PRIORITY FLAG, it goes directly to the director for immediate action. He has stuff pulled off right away and they decide what to do (rewrite, omit, explain) later.

That's why so many of us do not get to see the church lies that are pointed out on RfM. We do their work for them.

Wouldn't it be great if we could develop a code based on our knowledge which would give us access for a few more hours? I am thinking we could always use a signature and then right under it a number. We would all know that this number is a tiny url.

Like this

Anagrammy
aa9u23

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 03:26PM

Until then, the first person to find and report something like this could copy the page and i'm not sure if it can be pasted here, but if not, paste it somewhere so it can not be just 'eliminated'.

Boy, these rewriters work fast!

Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 04:33PM

"One time while piloting an airplane, President Uchtdorf survived a steering control failure that led to a condition that, uncorrected, would cause the plane to crash. By listening to and following the Spirit, President Uchtdorf was able to fix the problem and make a successful emergency landing. He acknowledges the hand of the Lord in allowing him to survive such an ordeal."

(This paragraph is from the same article from which OP posted his excerpt.)

Really??? Uchtdorf was such an incompetent pilot that he did not know how to properly address such an emergency? The only solution he could find was to pray about it? That man ought to have been FIRED!

Posted by: stinkethnot ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 04:35PM

"Is he just a disciple of Paul Dunn or did the world news media overlook his vital role in rescuing hostages from terrorists?"

What we have here is an LDS corprolite. It is an artifact of spiritual defecation from an influential mormon leader. Mormonism serves this divine excrement to the sheeple, selling it as tasty morsels of a "most sweet" consecrated fruit. TBMs can't smell the offensive odor because they have been conditioned to "know" that apostle sh!t does not stink.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 05:30PM

Look at me, I defeated Nazi Germany all by myself, even years before I was born.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.