Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 12:53PM

Which TSCC fought against. Anyone remember a talk from a year ago, maybe two years ago, called "woman who know".

Which is about "woman who know" are caretakers.

I'm curious on people's take on that talk here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:01PM

This diatribe by Julie Beck?:

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0%2C5232%2C23-1-775-27%2C00.html

Don't get me started.

Mothers Who Know (2007):

1. Bear children.
2. Clean up shit.
3. Don't think
4. Bear more children...

Ron

Date: January 10, 2011 01:05PM

Exmormonron yep, that's the one.

Date: January 10, 2011 01:08PM

And even then! Do all this stuff, and you still aren't doing enough! I've heard this is the impression many women got from this talk.

Date: January 10, 2011 01:22PM

Can I get someone started on how they feel about this? I want to discuss with somebody?

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:28PM

It was hashed and rehashed quite thoroughly. People were disgusted, amused, angered, etc. I'm sure someone tried to lamely defend it, but I can't remember precisely.

I think it was archived under the title of Women Who Know. Just a sec, and I'll find it and put up the link (to follow).

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:32PM

but when our Stake High Councilman came and gave his talk based on her talk it got even worse. His family is 6 of the most perfect looking blonde cuties you'd ever want to see. Most of them are actually nice too. Appearances are everything to this family, in fact I once had a conversation with the mom and was telling her that if I ever owned a big, log lodge, I'd get one of those giant buffalo heads for it and she said "You really DON'T care what people think, do you?" This from a woman whose decorating style comes straight from the Ensign and her friends and family in Southern Utah.

ANYWAY, sorry to digress, but it wasn't just that the talk made women into slaves it's what they made the women slaves to: Appearances. Not God, or righteousness or service but on appearing to be good. It's bad enough that Mormons are into the sort of legalistic religious performances that Jesus despised but now they flat out say how much they care about how they appear. And that their righteousness is based on how they appear. And that very few active Mormons didn't think this was outrageous. It's totally disgusting.

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:41PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:57PM

TSCC would like the world to admire them. They think that admiration based on appearance is a good thing. Once you take a few baby brain steps out of the cult you remember that Jesus didn't think that. Suddenly Ghandi pops into mind--where's his regular boys haircut and shiny shoes to show respect for GOd? You think of the Buddha and his roots as royalty, all which he gave up for true spirituality. YOu might even wonder if Mohammed, Confucious, Krishna-- would any of these spiritual giants authorize the construction of a Disneyland mall designed to attract the wealthy and built with the offerings of struggling young families.

And, if you are able to connect dots yet, you go "Holy shit--I've been had."

OF COURSE they subjugate women, just like every tyranny does. Why are you even surprised? Just say the word polygamy and imagine the faces of women where you only see the eyes. The Mormon priesthood does NOT protect and cherish women. It abuses them. Ask the many of us here who have tried to get our children protected from priesthood molesters.

Being told to prepare dinner without help and without complaining is the least of it.

BTW- I think you are mingling equal rights for women with the Equal Rights Amendment. Two different things.

Anagrammy
(Who spoke on TV against the ERA when she was a brainwashed morgbot woman in Zion)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.