Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:27AM

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-268964--.html?cb=1286096868

She's an Eyring who would have her readers believe that the principal reason for the founding of the Mormon Colonies in Mexico was for the agricultural opportunities. Nowhere in the article does she mention polygamy. I set the record straight in the Comments section. It'll be interesting to see if she can get the comments removed. I saved a PDF copy of the article with comments, in case the comments are later deleted. Note that I did not in any way comment upon or criticize LDS beliefs or theology; I simply stated the facts about polygamy in the Mexican Colonias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 11:00AM

As a descendant of Miles Park Romney, many of my family just assumed that great-great Grandfather had to flee into Mexico to escape the cohab hunters. After all, my great-great-great Grandfather on my mom's side, William Jordan Flake, did time in the Yuma Penitentiary for just that very thing.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 12:12PM

that the PRINCIPAL reason these Mormons colonized Mexico was to practice the PRINCIPAL.

Date: October 04, 2010 11:12AM

Thanks, Skunkie.

I went to great lengths to avoid criticism of her beliefs or her church's theology. I simply tried to expose a whitewash of history. I am old enough to remember the controversy when GEORGE Romney ran for President in 1968: he was born in Mexico, but claimed US citizenship from birth through his US-born parents. Because Romney fizzled out in the early primaries and gave an interview in which he used some poorly chosen words, it didn't become a major issue. Had he been the GOP nominee, the courts would have had to examine the constitutional requirement that candidates for President and Vice-President be "natural born citizens". (McCain was born in the US Canal Zone territory and this did not pose an issue in 2008, but Romney was born in Mexico).

At that time (1968), I didn't know enough about Mormon history and missionary work, and assumed that Romney's parents were missionaries. While other religions may send couples of child-bearing age to the mission field, I did not yet know that LDS missionaries are either young, single men and women, or else retired couples; I suppose some younger Mission Presidents may now and then conceive children in the field, but given that the wives are expected to work alongside their MP husbands, it would be very difficult for the wife of an MP with a newborn infant to serve alongside her husband.

Only later did I learn that:

1. LDS missionaries are the wrong age demographic (too young or too old) to be having babies in the mission field

2. The village where Romney was born was set up by TSCC as a polygamy refuge. I don't recall this being covered in any US history course or textbook, including AP US History in 11th grade. And I was in California, where textbooks did not need to meet "LDS standards". Our textbook was a college-level text written by a professor at Stanford. The struggle between Utah territory and the Feds, as well as the 1856 GOP platform ("twin relics of barbarism, polygamy and slavery) were covered, but LDS activities outside of the US were not included.

So far, no one has posted comments in her defense. I did share the link with a friend who was an anti-eight activist, in case he'd like to write about the irony of a people "forced to leave the country" because of their peculiar lifestyle who now try to remove rights from others whose lifestyle differs from theirs.

Posted by: nevermo ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:33PM

having spent 6 years in utah, including my high school years 75-78 in utah county, i am somewhat familiar with mormonism, some of my best friends in high school were devout mormons, who on occasion were teased by other TBM'S for hanging with a corrupt gentile, i believe the majority of mormons are actually good people. i am surprised and saddened by the pain mormonism has caused in peoples lives, i always invite lds missionaries into my home to debate mormonism, it seems to me the "debate" is always the same, example, missionary: "what are your concerns with mormonism ?" me: "gee, where shall i start, conflicting first vision accounts, why was smith convicted of glass looking 6 years after his visitation from the god and jesus, why did smiths family join a presbyterian church and joe try to join a methodist church after his visitation,lack of archeology for bom,dna,kinderhook plates,book of abraham. no matter the subject it always anti mormon lies or translation by inspiration or we are not not polythestic there is only one god for this earth, should i say sorry elders i'm just not golden and close the door?

Posted by: php ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 03:37PM

@nevermo. I have found the most successful way of talking to missionaries is to use their own scriptures and prophets against them. Show them the references (print them out on paper) so they can't argue that anti-mormon sources can't be trusted etc. I usually talk about the nature of God as described by the Bible vs. Bom vs. BofA vs. JST vs. PoGP 1st vision vs. current Mormon beliefs and what prophets have said concerning the matter (God was once a man --> exalted being = God for us). Its just a huge mess, there's no way out. I just plant the seeds of doctrinal confusion and contradiction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 03:38PM by php.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 05:32PM

The comments are POUNDING the polygamy aspect of the Mexican Colonies. I imagine the author is mortified to see so much information coming out of the closet. It's as if her fluff article has opened the polygamy-information deluge.

Date: October 04, 2010 07:41PM

and exactly how GULLIBLE did she think her readers were?

This isn't a talk to the Relief Society, for goodness sake. There are some well educated folks who know their history, despite LDS whitewashing attempts.

In addition, with respect to people in their 50s or older, many recall the issue with George Romney's Presidential eligibility, due to his birth in Mexico. Even as a kid in 1968, I knew that Romney was born in Mexico and that it had some connection with his being Mormon. The only dot I failed to connect was that the settlement where George was born got its start as a refuge for polygamists.

Had she told the truth and simply mentioned that the Colonias founders were fleeing anti-polygamy laws, she would have come across as reasoned and honest. This piece looks like a deceptive attempt to bury her past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 07:46PM by PtLoma.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.