Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:42AM

I find the current version of the Book of Mormon to be mind numbing garbage. There is nothing of substance, it is poorly written, repetitive, and banal. However, the Book of Mormon sinks to new lows when read in the original. I thought the Book of Mormon could not be any worse. It turns out I was wrong.

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/3913intro.htm

One of the most frequent mistakes in the first edition of the Book of Mormon is the use of the word was instead of the word were.

There are also many places where the word were has been changed to was.

"... but it all were vain ..." (page 142) [Jacob 7:24]

"... an army of the Lamanites were in the borders ..." (page 204) [Mosiah 23:25]

"... inasmuch as it were possible." (page 224) [Alma 1:32]

"Now the object of these Lawyers were to get gain ..." (page 251) [Alma 10:32]

"... every living soul of the Ammonihahites were destroyed ..." (page 267) [Alma 16:9]

Another common mistake in the first edition of the Book of Mormon is the use of the word is when it should read are. The following are extracts from the first edition in which the word is has been changed to are in later editions:

"... the tender mercies of the Lord is over all ..." (page 7) [1 Nephi 1:20]

"... the mixture of thy seed, which is among thy brethren ..." (page 30) [1 Nephi 13:30]

"... shall establish the truth of the first, which is of the twelve apostles ..." (page 32) [1 Nephi 13:40]

"... there is, save it be, two churches ..." (page 33) [1 Nephi 14:10]

In the following extracts from the first edition of the Book of Mormon the word had has been deleted and the words not ought have been rearranged to ought not in later editions:

"... lest he should look for that he had not ought and he should perish." (page 173) [Mosiah 8:13]

"And he told them that these things had not ought to be ..." (page 220) [Mosiah 29:34]

"... and that they had not ought to murder ..." (page 289) [Alma 23:3]

"I had not ought to harrow up in my desires ..." (page 303) [Alma 29:4]

Another common mistake in the first edition of the Book of Mormon is the use of the word a where it does not belong. In the following extracts from the first edition the word a has been deleted in later editions:

"As I was a journeying to see a very near kindred ..." (page 249) [Alma 10:7]

"And as I was a going thither ..." (page 249) [Alma 10:8]

"... the foundation of the destruction of this people is a beginning to be laid ..." (page 251) [Alma 10:27]

"... he met with the sons of Mosiah, a journeying towards the land ..." (page 269) [Alma 17:1]

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.