Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kori ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:00AM

Julio Davila is a former 70 from Colombia. In the mid-90's Colombian became a focus for the church- Calling authorities from there, temple, etc. They believed that since the risk of kidnapings and attacks on church facilities was dwindiling, that this would be the next Brasil.

Enter Julio. He was called to the 2nd quorum of the 70's. Spoke at general conference, he was a gifted speaker and then he dissapeared...well my father and I know Julio well, this is what happened:

Julio came to Salt Lake often for his calling. During these trips he received his 2nd annointing. After a lifetime of service, He began to realize that church was not at all what he was led to believe.

Julio has a secretary. Julio had an affair with this secretary. Julio took her as a "second wife". Julio was one of the few GA's ever to want to go public, despite the affair about the church. The church reminded him of his legal (contractual and financial) obligations to the church. Julio quietly moved to Mexico City, where he resides this day with his secretary.

A few years ago, my dad called him. My dad wanted to know if he would help with a non-profit effort in Colombia.

He greeted him- Brother Davila, how nice to hear your voice!
Davila responded- I am not your brother, please dont call me your brother. He explained to my dad that the church would have a hard time getting anyone of color into the 70 or the 12 becuase white people are culturally willing to see the fraud and think that it is for a grander course, while minorities tend to see it, take it and live it all literally.

Needless to say Julio was pissed he was contacted and was ansked to be left along. This of course ecalated to a massive call/ love bombing by another friend. Julio responded that being in or out of the church was not a matter of following Jesus, or of even belief, it was a matter of what set of lies you believed or could not believe. He asked to never be contacted again. That he came to know this was not christ's church and that no ammount of good intentions, group think, or apologies would make it christ's church and that he had no interest in it at that point. He said that he was ecouraged to look past the faults, becuase he was told these were the faults of well meaning men.

I wonder how many GA's have simple dissapeared into oblivion, how many know what fraud this is, how many have been kept silenced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 11:34AM by kori.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:10AM

Can you elaborate on what these obligations are. I've suspected that the cult used some kind of legal means to keep people quiet. Perhaps giving them loans that can be called due of they step out of line. Can you tell us more about this point?

Date: January 27, 2013 11:31AM

Notojoe,

May dad was a church employee for 20 years before he left. I myself did a bit of consulting for them 15 years ago. This is what I have learned myself:

Intellectual reserve, the legal proprietary arm of the church, makes you sign a contract. You cannot disclose what you did for them, how much you were paid or that you were hired as a contractor (I was). You cannot keep copies of the work, talk or publish it, it is owned it its entirety by the church.
General authorities (I don't know of this applies to 2nd quorum of the 70's) sign over their property over to a trust, if you violate your contract they keep your property.

What I have researched and heard from other ex- leaders:
Since the time of BY, the church "lends" money to GA's for personal projects. This money is interest free and does not have to be repaid (this is for legal, tax and doctrinal reasons) if you tow the line. If you step out of line it becomes due and it is a lien on your property. Any income from sitting on boards, as director, consultant, etc- which is what the 12 spend most of their time doing, you keep, if you leave, since you are a representative of the church on those boards, you lose and may have to pay back. of course you loose your "living expenses" (60-120K), your access to church property for personal use (Hawaii, Florida, Europe, etc)

This is how a "humble" life long seminary teacher (BKP) or meager church employee (GBH) can end up as millionaires as pass on significant wealth to family members. If you step out of line, its all gone and you are in serious legal trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 11:33AM by kori.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:53AM

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:44PM

is there any documentation anywhere that support this?

maybe a dissident has a copy of one?

Date: January 27, 2013 10:50PM

Yes of course. I have a copy if my contract and other things I won't disclose here. However no one is going to make such things public as intellectual reserve is vicious with their contractual enforcements.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:51PM

maybe a copy with a whited out name?

I think this type of info would go a long way in promoting truth.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 12:26AM

Agreed. I'd love to find out more about this - it's the first I've heard of it. My father was a lowly CES employee, but even there things seemed...weird. Wonder how far-reaching all this is.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:10PM

Are you saying they sign over their investments, savings, real estate, etc., to the trust, so that they own nothing and are entirely dependent on the generosity of the corp?

Date: January 27, 2013 10:56PM

Yes. As described In the bible they give up everything to follow Jesus. That's where the doing as Jesus asked analogy stops. It's still there but the money changers have a right to it. Many set up family trusts as they are called to protect some wealth. But the money from books, salaries from boards, loans, etc dwarf the base salary as it becomes a money machine. No one is going to bite that hand. Members argue that all of them were blessed by being good at their previous jobs, this is the case to a small degree, uchtdorf lives up the street from me and althought he would have lived comfortably as a retired pilot, I doubt hat he would be choufered around with a brand new SUV every year. I doubt members can make the argument about packer becoming a multimillionaire on a seminary teacher salary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 10:57PM by kori.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 12:40AM

This is the type of information that needs to be put out there for the world to see.

Non members need to see it so they don't join up.

Ex-members need to see it to feel validated.

inactive members need to see it to help them make a decision.

Members need to see it so they know exactly where their leadership stands when it comes to finances vs. religion. They need to know that the people who sign these contracts DO NOT have the members best interests at heart.

Reporters and Journalists need to know this so they can announce it to the world. The world needs to know what it is that keeps this HOAX up and running.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:22AM

"(contractual and financial) obligations".
I've wondered what collateral the church holds on its GA's.
It seems likely that the church ensures it has some collateral on someone before calling them to be a GA.
The observation that GA's rarely squeal tells me they're either compicit in the fraud, or are beholden somehow.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:22AM

did he sign a non-disclosure agreement with LDS Inc. ?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:48AM

I am confused. Was he officially released? I thought the GA's that were not apostles were just given emeritas (sp) status or released. I've not heard of this man, but wouldn't it raise questions if one of the GA's was just never mentioned again?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:54AM

They probably didn't want news of his affair with his secretary being made public. Better to quietly retire him. They don't want another George P. Lee scandal.

Date: January 27, 2013 12:10PM

try to find the GC where he was released. Try to find where he was given a vote of thanks, etc What I mean is that these dissidents are mention but never heard from again.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:24PM

Here is a write up with citations:

http://gapages.com/davilje1.htm

My understanding is the members of the Second Quorum of the Seventies are called from 3-5 years. At least that is what the church publishes.

From the Oct. 1996 General Conference "The Sustaining of Church Officers":

"With gratitude for their service as General Authorities, we extend an honorable release to Elders W. Mack Lawrence, Rulon G. Craven, Joseph C. Muren, Graham W. Doxey, Jorge A. Rojas, Julio E. Dávila, Han In Sang, Stephen D. Nadauld, and Sam K. Shimabukuro as members of the Second Quorum of the Seventy. Those who wish to join in an expression of appreciation, please indicate by the uplifted hand."

I picked Jospeh C. Muren at random and checked his term of service--5 years. So, it appears Davila was released in the usual way, at least publicly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 12:32PM by robertb.

Posted by: Exmo Dad ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 11:04AM

I like how he gets off with an "honorable release" "with gratitude" though he had an affair with his secretary.

Do you think any other lowly members who did the same thing would be be "honorably released" from their ordinary callings?

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:59AM

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:31PM

The old boy's club has itself lawyered up so much their barge is airtight.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:47PM

Again folks; this is how ALL pyramid, top-down, capitalistic systems work, in order to keep the sheeple in line:

Character assassination

Threats to family/self

Cut off the milk flowing from titty

Keep the bottom feeders in the dark

Breedum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 12:48PM by breedumyung.

Posted by: Been There ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:00PM

There are three elements to corruption in the Mormon Church:

1) Massive assets, and billions of dollars in play.

2) Secrecy regarding the administration of those assets.

3) A public image of total integrity so that members will continue to donate more assets.

But what happens when there is fraud and internal corruption in this kind of a system? (Money and secrecy almost guarantee the eventual misuse of assets somewhere.)

What recourse does the Mormon Church have if it is to maintain its public image of integrity and thus keep members donating with confidence?

If the church goes public and takes the internal offenders to court, then the church exposes itself. Yet, the church is helpless if it doesn't go to public court where legal action can take place (and potential inside offenders know this very well, it's a form of extortion insurance they carry).

The only solution is to put potential offenders at the risk of legal loss safely OUTSIDE of public exposure.

The problem is that the church cannot protect itself this way with every church employee or leader, only those who pose the greatest potential risks. You can only hold so much money over so many heads to keep them in line.

God alone knows how much corruption has happened elsewhere in the church, where there hasn't been sufficient "loss leverage" and the cost of public exposure has been unacceptable to the church.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:06PM

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:59PM

Hey Kori, do you happen to know of any info about his daughter, Marita? She and I were friends at BYU back when her dad was "just" the Mission President in Cali, Colombia. I'm curious now if her dad's influence might have also helped her out of TSCC.

Thanks for your post. That's interesting stuff.

Date: January 27, 2013 10:46PM

2nddoc, I did not know his wife or children. These people get a lot of help. There is to tons of nepotism in the elite ranks. I know that GBH's son wanted to be a GA and be set up for life, Richard. His dad told him at the time that he needed to at least preside over a mission. He told his dad that he was not going to do this unless he was in SLC, surprise the next slc mission pres is richie, then he becomes a 70 as his daddy gushes as conference about how he HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, because he hates nepotism. I laughed. In my youth I dated the great niece of a profit, she got into BYU with a gashtly GPA and test scores she got church scholarships AND grants, she made about 3-7k a semester to go there. These people, the second anointers, live in a secret world of wealth, perks and adulation that members know nothing about.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:58PM

I think we just hit pay dirt. This thread is a goldmine.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 12:28AM

Yep, agreed.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:08PM

I wish that we could give John Grisham this story--although truth is always stranger than fiction!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:43PM

My worst fear is that my TBM Columbia U. Graduated Attorney step son will end up caught in this web.

There may be perks, but in reality children, spouses, siblings, parents, and any who are closely connected are prisoners of the mormon mafia.

It makes me sick. In spite of his education, he's incredibly naive. He insists on staying that way. Hopefully something will come along and shake him out of the delusion.

I'm saving this thread in case there comes a time I will need to show it to him. Not that he will believe it, but I will have to at least try.

The last time I saw him, he made the comment that the GA's are some of the happiest people on earth. I think not. I asked him to show me why he thought that. No comment.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 10:39AM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My worst fear is that my TBM Columbia U. Graduated
> Attorney step son will end up caught in this web.
>
> There may be perks, but in reality children,
> spouses, siblings, parents, and any who are
> closely connected are prisoners of the mormon
> mafia.
>
> It makes me sick. In spite of his education, he's
> incredibly naive. He insists on staying that way.
> Hopefully something will come along and shake him
> out of the delusion.
>
> I'm saving this thread in case there comes a time
> I will need to show it to him. Not that he will
> believe it, but I will have to at least try.
>
> The last time I saw him, he made the comment that
> the GA's are some of the happiest people on earth.
> I think not. I asked him to show me why he thought
> that. No comment.

Why wouldn't they be happy? They are on the fast-track to godhood, have cushy jobs with no threat of lay-off, enjoy the admiration of the masses, and the perks extend to their family members.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 04:55AM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 07:07AM

Absolutely incredible story, kori. And I absolutely believe every bit of it. Thanks for peeling off another layer of secrecy for us all.

;o)

Posted by: Exmo Dad ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 11:02AM

Of course GA's especially those at the upper level are beholden to the cult through some sort of mechanism. I think it's probably a combination of a temple ceremony plus written contract.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.