Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 10:10AM

Who is included under society's special umbrella of protectiveness?

The handicapped, minor children, racial minorities, and certain other groups.

Becomming a polygamist is a choice if it's motivated by religion or not. Society doesn't owe this group special financial or social support of any kind. An adult who chooses polygamy needs to accept responsibility and realize that they are no more special than someone who makes other differing choices. We monogomists certainly have to live with the consequences of who *we* choose to marry.

Religious polygamy need not be any more protected than secular polygamy. Laws don't protect religious honor killings or mutilations. Illegal acts are not necessarily exempt or special because they are motivated by religious ferver.

A few days ago many posters rose up in outrage, saying that *we* (the rest of society) owe polygamists money and support as if these people are a noble and special group. They're not. They already cost us plenty due to the high rates of incest, child and wife abuse, their bigotry against women and gays, and their usual low rates of attempting to utilize their potential.

No one bothers polygamists who live responsibly, who don't impose on others, and who support themselves and their families. Those who beat women or children senseless or force them to live in squalor sometimes come to our attention. We might also take note of those who recruit vulnerable girls or who perpetrate despicable public scams. If any one of us did these things, I think it's more likely that *we* would be prosecuted than most polygamists who often get away with blatant lawlessness.

Not everyone who chooses to be different deserves special concessions. Certain choices carry risks. We don't owe risk takers more than we owe any other person on the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 11:16AM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 11:07AM

Although I didn’t see the original post, I find the very idea that the fundie polys should be considered a protected class absolutely laughable. I do have some sympathy for the women and children because I know how of how hard it can be to leave a cult, especially if that is the only life you have ever known. I escaped the Mormon cult but it wasn’t easy.

However, with some exceptions, these fundie nuts are taking advantage of society’s good will and they are sucking down large amounts of government charity that they don’t deserve. Government assistance should be reserved for hardworking people who need temporary help to get back on their feet……people who’s long-term plan is to be self-sufficient. The problem I have with these fundamentalist Mormon groups is that their long-term plan is to bilk money out of the government indefinitely. They refer to it as ‘bleeding the beast.’ Well since I’m a tax payer I guess I’m the beast. The welfare should stop and they should be forced to get jobs and pay their own bills. If they can’t feed or clothe their children properly then DCFS should do what it does in similar monogamous situations and intervene to protect the well being of the children.

However, polygamy should NOT be a protected class. WHY????? Because polygamy is ultimately a choice and because there are aspects of it that are just wrong. Child brides are wrong. Abandoning lost boys in the middle of the desert is wrong. Defrauding the government is wrong. Treating women like second hand property is wrong. These are all wrong ‘choices’ and it is OK to stand up to them and say in one from or another “I don’t approve of your message, your lifestyle, or your self deception.”

Polygamists are NOT victims of anything other than there own willingness to participate in the insanity. We certainly should not treat them like victims. And we certainly should not grant them the same blanket protections we give to other groups who are dealing with social issues outside of their own choosing.

Date: October 03, 2010 11:10AM

Posted by: Localula ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:29PM

Wow. I leave the church because I don't like bigotry, then I come on an ex-mormon forum and there's still bigots here.

I think I just need to move to Europe, where everybody is open-minded, and doesn't make sweeping generalizations, such as "All gay people have AIDs", "All black people are criminals" and "All polygamists are incestuous".

I wasn't there when the earlier "outrage" occured, but I'm certainly very glad that there was an outrage. I can't believe people expect to get away with things like this. It sounds like something that would've been said at General Conference.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:17PM

France is deporting Muslim polygamists and cracking down on polygamist welfare fraud. They've also banned the burkha. Plenty of other European nations find polygamy to be barbaric and cruel as well. Perhaps, before you move, you might want to familiarize yourself with the actual views of those "openminded" Europeans. You're libel to be unpleasantly surprised if you don't.

Date: October 04, 2010 09:34AM

It's a bigotted conclusion which hasn't examined or processed facts.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:00PM

Hi Localula,

No worries, there are all sorts of exmormons. You won't be able to find a nice, neat and convenient look for all who leave the church. I have exmo friends who became Christians, others who are agnostic and atheist and a few who returned. Some are republicans others democrats, many are independents, some don't want to have anything to do with politics or society.

It's the post you're reading, not the full sentiment of this board. This board is many things and you'll find what you need if you keep looking. But you'll also encounter stuff like this in between.

Good luck on your journey.

toto

Posted by: Guy Noir, Private Eye ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:12PM

wile I agree with the General premise of this thread, there are often exceptions to 'rules'.
Just as Mormon social pressure intimidates 'forces' many to live False Lives, other social systems also create VICTIMS.
Polygamy: sometimes women, sometimes young girls, sometimes male youths (+ others) who are marginalized out of normal relationships.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 09:34PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:40AM

Just a thought...

Date: October 05, 2010 08:36AM

If most people in a society see the practice as destructive, they needn't pretend that they love it. Nor should they be requiered to pay for it or come up with special laws to accomodate polygamous divorces, immigration complications, child custody for kids who don't know who their mother or father is, and it goes on and on.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:48AM

If anyone thinks my opposition to polygamy is mere bigotry, they can say it to my face. I'll set up the appointment. Which news channel do we prefer?

Things are a bit different when people have to take personal responsibility for their claims.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:10AM

Troy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If anyone thinks my opposition to polygamy is mere
> bigotry, they can say it to my face. I'll set up
> the appointment. Which news channel do we
> prefer?
>
> Things are a bit different when people have to
> take personal responsibility for their claims.

They seem toi mnistake bigotry with bitter personal experience. Still, TBMs still can't say too much against Polygamy, as they expect it to be re-established in the last days.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:01AM

Polygamy is okay in my book as long all parties are adult and consenting. What riles me are groups that practice this out of so-called religious beliefs (you know who you are!). As in almost all cases where religion is concerned, there will be repressed and abused individuals, those who are forced into this practice. It is these people that need rescue and protection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.