Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonxyz ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 03:04PM

This is a follow-up from Steve Benson's recent post regarding Joseph Smith's alleged admission(s) that the Book of Mormon was fabricated (an excellent thread, btw).

Does any documentation exist that shows that Joseph Smith preached/taught from "the most correct book?" We have a 14 year period (1830-1844) to examine and I am having difficulty finding instances where he spoke much concerning the BoM. It quickly became a forgotten book of "scripture." If he did mention the BoM after the church was established in 1830, this seems to be the exception, certainly not the rule.

Nearly all key doctrines of the restoration have nothing to do with the BoM. The BoM is not a doctrinally rich text. This may, in part, explain JS's avoidance of the BoM, after the church was formally organized. I have read accounts of others using the BoM as a missionary tool, but not JS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 03:28PM

I researched this question earlier and never found any recorded sermon where Smith even referenced a single Book of Mormon scripture. Smith almost always relied upon New Testament scriptures.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 04:05PM

It's pretty rare, but I did find one place where he did.

It has been said by many of the learned and wise men, or historians, that the Indians or aborigines of this continent, are of the scattered tribes of Israel. It has been conjectured by many others, that the aborigines of this continent are not of the tribes of Israel, but the ten tribes have been led away into some unknown regions of the north. Let this be as it may, the prophecy I have just quoted "will fetch them," in the last days, and place them in the land which their fathers possessed. And you will find in the 7th verse of the 30th chapter, quoted, "And the Lord thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee."

Many may say that this scripture is fulfilled, but let them mark carefully what the prophet says: "If any are driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven," (Which must mean the breadth of the earth). Now this promise is good to any, if there should be such, that are driven out, even in the last days, therefore, the children of the fathers have claim unto this day. And if these curses are to be laid over on the heads of their enemies, wo be unto the Gentiles. (See Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi, Chap. 16, current edition). "Wo unto the unbelieving of the Gentiles, saith the Father." And again (see Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 20:22, current edition, which says), "Behold this people will I establish in this land, unto the fulfilling of the covenant which I made with your father Jacob, and it shall be a New Jerusalem." Now we learn from the Book of Mormon the very identical continent and spot of land upon which the New Jerusalem is to stand, and it must be caught up according to the vision of John upon the isle of Patmos.

TPJS p.85-86

Posted by: Anonxyz ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 04:23PM

Excellent. Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.