Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 03:53PM

"Dear Steve,

"I . . . think your readers might . . . appreciate a story on a Mormon protest being held in one week regarding the LDS church's refusal to address controversial, revised, and hidden aspects of the church's history and practices (see attached press release).

"Any help or direction on getting it into the right hands to print the story and bring awareness to our common cause would be greatly appreciated by the whole exmormon community,

"A group of over 170 concerned Mormons will be posting a copy of 95 LDS Theses onto the doors of their local churches around the world between the hours of 9:00 p.m. Saturday, February 16th, and 9:00 a.m. Sunday, February 17, 2013.

"The project is organized by an anonymous blogger named Mormon Luther-Day Saint, who aims to follow Protestant reformer Martin Luther, who in 1517 posted a list of grievances on the door of the Castle Church of Wittenburg. Within two weeks, it was distributed by the press throughout Germany, exposed the corruption of the Catholic Church, and started what came to be known as the Protestant Reformation. Now, protesters claim, it is time for a Mormon Reformation.

"I appreciate your time and consideration for this or future pieces.

"Best wishes,

"Spencer L. Jensen,
Managing Editor"

P R E S S R E L E A S E
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(801) 610-6942 Phone
contact@truebelievingmormons.com
February 8, 2013

Concealed Mormon Beliefs & History Protested Reformation-Style With 95 Theses to Be Posted on LDS Church Doors

(American Fork, UT) A group of over 170 concerned Mormons will be posting a copy of 95 LDS Theses onto the doors of their local churches around the world between the hours of 9:00 p.m. Saturday, February 16th, and 9:00 a.m. Sunday, February 17, 2013.

The project is organized by an anonymous blogger named Mormon Luther-Day Saint, who aims to follow Protestant reformer Martin Luther, who in 1517 posted a list of grievances on the door of the Castle Church of Wittenberg. Within two weeks, it was distributed by the press throughout Germany, exposed the corruption of the Catholic Church, and started what came to be known as the Protestant Reformation. Now, protesters claim, it is time for a Mormon Reformation.

Why Do Concerned Mormons Feel a Protest Is Necessary?

The protest is intended to be a peaceful, non-confrontational, and anonymous way to achieve the following two objectives:

1) Educating the membership of the church on controversial, revised, and hidden aspects of church doctrine, history, and fundamental claims, and

2) Influencing the church to officially address topics that have dodged, dismissed, and covered up for too long.

The 95 LDS theses include grievances concerning the church’s whitewashing & suppressing of documented history, such as:

• Joseph Smith illegally marrying at least 33 women, some of whom were as young as 14 years old. Some of Joseph's marriages were secured by promising salvation or threatening damnation.

• Joseph Smith married at least 11 women who were already married to other men. In some cases, Joseph married the wives of men whom he had sent away on missions. Brigham Young also married other men's wives.

• Boyd K. Packer and other church leaders have openly advocated obscuring and editing history by teaching us that "some things that are true are not very useful."

• The LDS Church stifles honest scholarship of Mormonism, going as far as excommunicating people who find and publish history that contradicts the Church's narrative.

• The LDS Church’s refusal to disclose its finances, even to its tithe-paying members, despite former President Hinckley stating to Larry King that financial "information belongs to those who made the contribution."

“To make this event successful, I am enlisting the help of a wide variety of people,” says the protest’s organizer, Luther-Day Saint.“ The group of protesters includes progressive, temple-recommend carrying members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, as well as less active members and former members of the church.

There are now over 1,000 discussion forums, podcasts, and blogs in what is called the Exmormon community, which vary in focus and style from gently discussing pertinent issues to openly satirizing Mormon beliefs, its leaders’ inauthenticity, and the church’s institutionalized behavioral and information control.

In January, 2012, a Reuters article announced a statement by church historian & recorder Marlin K. Jensen’s that the church has never experienced such a profound loss of its membership since the Kirtland, Ohio, banking scandal in 1837.

According to Mormon Luther-Day Saint, “Some people wish for nothing short of the complete destruction of the church. For them, my efforts don't go far enough. Others just want to tweak a thing or two about the church. Whatever your personal desires for the church, I hope that I can count on your support to achieve the above two objectives by sharing the 95 theses and our Facebook event through social media.”

The event and printable copy of the 95 Theses are at:
http://mormonreformation.blogspot.com/

"True Believing Mormons" is a satirical blog and cartoon podcast addressing Mormon beliefs, policies, and public statements. For more information, contact Spencer L. Jensen at 801-610-6942 or contact@truebelievingmormons.com.

###
_____

More from Jensen on the project's PR efforts:

"Someone commented on RFM: 'The PR angle on this is good. Sending newswires of the "theses" and an announcement of the event could work wonders, unless Mormons are the ones who pick up the newswires locally, meaning that local news in Utah would probably not mention it. But other locales and non-local feeds may fare better.'"

[ http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,788737,788848#msg-788848 ]

Jensen then adds info on the project's PR plans:

"Happy to say I submitted it . . . for distribution early Tuesday morning all over but also with a chosen emphasis on the UT-SLC, UT-Provo, ID-Boise, and AZ-Phoenix regions. . . .

"I firmly believe PR (and on a lesser scale, social media) is the one form of media the church with their deep pockets and clone army cannot exercise information control over as cults provide no shortage of juicy hooks.

"Thanks again . . ."

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 08:42PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: agentpi ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 04:02PM

I desperately, desperately want to drive by my old ward building that morning and see if someone puts a copy up on the door. Even though odds are slim.

Even better, I'd like to catch the guy in the act and buy him a drink.

Even better, I'd like to catch a hot ex-mo chick in the act and...well, never mind.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 04:04PM

Just to be clear, I messed up when I tried to nail the 95 thesis to a glass door, didn't I?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 05:14PM

Now I know why they have glass doors! Always wondered why we had to always be washing off fingerprints. I guess TSCC leaders had just such an event in mind, remembering Luther. It shows the vast extent of their revelations.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 05:28PM

The PR angle on this is good. Sending newswires of the "theses" and an announcement of the event could work wonders, unless Mormons are the ones who pick up the newswires locally, meaning that local news in Utah would probably not mention it. But other locales and non-local feeds may fare better.

During church would actually be the best time to post the "theses." Posting them Saturday night or Sunday morning before 9AM will most likely just give the Bishopric members (or PEC members) a chance to see them first and of course then remove them as a sort of vandalism or harassment. Circular filed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 05:30PM by derrida.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 09, 2013 01:21PM

I'm still waffling on this, but if I do it, I'll stick them under windshield wipers.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 06:24PM

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 07:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: dfweasel ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 07:12PM

I'm going to place them on the windshields of the cars in the parking lot. That way the message will be seen by some, instead of by the people who show up first at church.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 07:29PM

What we really need is a electronic sign, near a freeway, on a local church or just a buiding that repeats LDS historical facts, so many each day. It should show a quote and who said it so it will be supported then a reference to a website where people can learn more about LDS history! Anyone with access to renting or buying a sign ----- I would be able to kick in a few hundred on it.

Posted by: LutherDaySaint ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 10:44PM

Great release... Should help the event get some exposure next week leading up to the big day.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: February 09, 2013 10:27AM

Hurray! Take that Jeffrey "Redneck" Holland!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 09, 2013 11:26AM

The first person at the chapel is usually the Bishop. He will be the only one to see this, and he probably won't read it.

The best angle would be to publicize the posting to a newspaper that lists the 95 theses in their article.

Posted by: void pecker ( )
Date: February 09, 2013 01:39PM

I'm not interested in a "reformed" mormon church. I am interested in a deceased mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.