Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:54AM

I've been looking for a lightweight SUV to pull behind a motorhome. I currently have a Ford Explorer which I LOVE but of course it's much too heavy, so I'll be trading it in for something much smaller. I don't want to haul a regular car because I want to be able to go some places that cars can't go. I realize that the small SUVs can't go everywhere my Explorer can, but I'd be able to do a lot of the exploring I want to on our travels around the country.

One that I'm looking into is the RAV4 which is pushing it weight-wise but would still work. Any other ideas for small, lightweight SUVs?

Thanks!

TG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:25AM

First thing that popped into my head was the Hyundai Tucson. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than a RAV4.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:47AM

There's also the Saturn Vu or something like that.

Posted by: rollingrolling ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:14PM

Had a stick explorer, now have a 3100 lb vue - before plastic boby dropped. new vue about 1100 lb more. looking lor newer light suv stick.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:06AM

And it has gone some pretty amazing places in Southern Utah. It also get fairly good gas millage.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:10AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:38AM

This according to a report on Utah vehicle ownership my car insurance agent saw last week. He was a bit surprised, as was I, but there are a boatload of Subarus in Utah, including mine. It is a very "sensible shoes" kind of vehicle in this state.

It even has an extra inch of ground clearance over a Forester, though it does have a longer overhang in front of the front wheels, which would limit its ability to climb over big rocks compared to a Forester.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 09:10AM

Go here for a list of 119 suv's.

http://www.edmunds.com/finder/car-finder-results.html?finder_q=type:SUV;

Sort them, perhaps by price? And click on Features and Specs and look down at the weight spec.

Vehicles tend to get heavier and bigger as new models come out, so if you are going with a 10 year old one, it'll probably weigh less.

Posted by: blargnuts ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:00AM

For towing behind an RV, you need a vehicle that can be dinghy towed. Most SUVs can not be towed this way. Some can but you need to be a little handy about removing and installing drive shafts. Some few can be towed in neutral. The manual transmission Samurai and Jeep CJs/Wranglers fit this as I recall.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:17AM

Buy a Jeep - they are the best little cars EVER.

They always look sporty, always keep their looks and you can switch to 4-wheel.

They are easy on the gas mileage too and extremely versatile.

I LOVE MINE !!

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:38PM

..gas mileage? 15-17 mpg city, ain't too good. However, switching to part time or full time 4-wheel drive is awesome. The Horsepower in the jeep is amazing too..I have pulled some mother loads with this thing. Never had a vehicle handle the snow, mud, rough terrain like my Jeep GrandCL.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:13PM

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:45PM

Date: January 13, 2011 07:40PM

You know, the cold ones with the plastic windows on the sides LOL

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:30AM

Not only is it great on the road, its also amphibious! http://www.terrawind.com/spyder.htm

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:34AM

Are you looking for a M.A.V.? A Mormon Assault Vehicle? hahaha. We called them that cause they would pull up to the entryway of the ward house and 15 kids would pile out! hahaha!!

Date: January 13, 2011 12:19PM

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:21PM

full time AWD or quadratrac is hard on the driveline in two mode. Many SUV use that system.

Older jeeps Grand Cherokees were great to be towed because the had the part time transfer case instead of full time.
Less wear and less headache for you towing.
IIRC they were 2003 and earlier ...
Jeep is a proven platform

Date: January 13, 2011 01:26PM

I've continued researching and have learned a lot. On another website I found a place with an application chart where you put in the info about the car and can find out if it's towable as-is and if there are other things that need to be done to make a car towable. The RAV4 needs a lube pump which costs over $900 so that's out. It looks like a CR-V might work since those are made to be towable. Some of the jeeps could also work.

Again, thanks! I'll be making a decision in the next few weeks.

TG

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:14PM

I currently drive a Range Rover. I've had various four wheel drives my whole life. My first car was a Jeep CJ 7. I collect cars and build custom cars as a hobby.

Last year I built a Baja Bug out of a 1973 VW Beatle that needed some TLC. I'm amazed at where it will go. These things will go where a four wheel drive will get stuck and if you have enough people, you can pick them up and carry them. Lot's of fun and lot's of available parts and accessories.

My oldest daughter is driving it in the snow to school.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:26PM

Every Land Rover I have owned has the typical British electrical problems. What they have going for them, it they are easy to see out of and the short wheel radius makes them wonderful in town. They also cruise at 75 nicely. The best vehicles I've ever driven off road period. They just roll over everything.

A Land Rover is great if it runs.

Some problems: The heater cores corrode and break sending hot engine coolant all over the floor of the passenger compartment.

Constant quirky electrical problems.

The electrical system tends to drain batteries when the car sits for a few days.

Harder to find parts on the road than a more common brand.

Overpriced. Land Rovers are way overprices for what they are.

Date: January 13, 2011 03:16PM

The electrical system will "wake up" while it's parked and drain the battery. It's a known "feature".
We bought it used for a very good price, so it was a great value in a luxury vehicle which is also one of the BEST off-road vehicles made. At least the older ones were...

Date: January 17, 2011 03:28AM

The suspension, ease to work on, and the locking differential in the transfer case is what made Rovers great. Also the aluminum Buick V8 the Brits bought off of GM was a reliable power plant. The British Lucas electronics and poor build quality ruined it all.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:44PM

The Rovers are infamous for their unreliability, and I had one that fit the bill. I currently have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and love it, but it's too heavy to be a toad, I suspect.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:32PM

This is my second Suzuki...I have a 2008 SX4, which has SUV style and shape, but is much smaller. Comes with lots of nice standard features, has 4 doors and a back hatch door, has a 2.0 liter engine and in such a small car it makes it very quick and fast. Drives/handles great too.

You can get a roof rack which is great for a canoe or other stuff, and it has a surprizingly large interior and really good head room. I'm 6 ft. and have several inches of space over my head.

It also has all wheel drive (standard I think), locked in up to about 45 mph, then it goes to auto....great for snow. Great sound system too, no need to upgrade. Gets about 28 - 30 mpg on the hiway.

I use mine for camping, hauling around my PA and musical instruments and lots more....it holds a lot of stuff. Its one of the best cars I've ever owned and I would buy it again.

Its also much cheaper than other imports and with all the stock features....AC, CD stereo, power side view mirrors, electric windows, side view mirror defrost (I love this feature), etc, it makes it very good value. I paid around $15K for mine brand new and it has a very good waranty.

Good luck.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 02:51PM

My ex tows his Trooper behind his motor home, but he has one of those trailers that you put the 2 front wheels on. His Trooper is probably 10 years old.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:13PM

I just bought my second CR-V. The 1998 model I traded in was still going strong and gave me 237,000 miles with minimal maintenance and repair costs. I'll probably buy CR-V's the rest of my life.

If anyone in the SoCal area is looking for a Honda, let me know. The dealership I bought from REFUSES to be beat by any other Honda dealership on pricing.

Date: January 13, 2011 03:30PM

Would you please post the name of your dealership? The motorhome I'm getting is in SoCal.

TG

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 04:33PM

The dealership is Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, CA www.spreenhonda.com

The guy you want to get a hold of is Vu Tonthat. You can email him at tonthat@spreenhonda.dealercrm.com and he will email you a special internet quote. Or call him at (909) 799 - 7070 ext. 417 and he will take your info and help you over the phone.

Spreen Honda is a volume dealership. Most buyers are not aware that dealers get a kickback from the manufacturer for every car sold. Most dealerships try to get as much out of you AND take the kickback. They'll haggle with you over price, the whole time laughing all the way to the bank knowing they will get cash back per car sold. Spreen Honda is happy to lower their pricing and make their money on the kickbacks from the volume of sales they do. I had THREE Honda dealerships tell me I would NEVER get the price I offered them for a new CR-V. Then I found Vu. The price he gave me was BETTER than what I was looking for. We worked our deal out over the phone and I drove 120 miles to pick up my new car. The drive was worth it, I saved nearly $2000 over what the other dealers were proposing. As I was driving back home, I actually got a follow-up call from one of the other dealers. They were asking if I would consider coming back in to work a deal out. I said "I would...but I am busy driving my new CR-V home." The guy asked where I bought it. I said "Spreen Honda. Did you know they are a volume dealership?" He said "Uggghhhh....I wish they hadn't told you that." Haaaa haaaa haaaa.

Give Vu a call. He's "da man". Good luck. My CR-V is "Glacier Blue" and absolutely beautiful.

Date: January 13, 2011 05:03PM

I actually can't buy new right now so it will be a trade-in with my Explorer. I found a place in my area that has a used CR-V that's already set up for towing behind an RV - that might work for me although it's still a little heavier than I should tow. We'll see.

TG

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:36PM

...they are super-reliable, easy to repair (parts are widely available,) and cheap to repair and maintain. I've had two Hondas and my last one was 21 years old when it died.

My auto mechanic warned me away from Hyundai vehicles. He said that they tend to develop serious issues the minute they go off-waranty.

Date: March 17, 2011 07:20PM

I ended up getting a silver 2002 Honda CR-V thanks to the advice and recommendations here. It's not too heavy to be pulled by my new-to-me 1992 Tioga Montara motorhome.

The CR-V is now ready to be towed, and tomorrow I take both vehicles over to the RV guy who fitted out my CR-V to tow, and he's going to show me how everything works.

One more step on the road!

Thanks for the time everyone took to respond.

TG

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:33PM

My neighbor just got a CR-V and I'm sooo jealous, lol.

Date: March 17, 2011 09:56PM

I do love it! I miss my nice, big, roomy Explorer, but I can't tow that. This CR-V though, it's real tight going around corners!

TG

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:16AM

I have had a 2002 CR-V now since October 2002, and I'm pleased as punch with it.

If you wanted something lighter, I'd've said a 2001 CR-V, which was smaller and lighter than the 2002. The 2002 had a style change.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:18PM

http://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/2270796945.html
Great mileage, eats desert and mountain roads without a hiccup, extremely reliable.
RG

Date: March 17, 2011 09:55PM

And that weighs how much?

TG

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:28AM

A mountain bike?

Date: March 18, 2011 10:43AM

I thought about a motorcycle but I'll have my daughter and a couple of dogs. I did think about a side car for the dogs, though ;p

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:46AM

Bunji cord and velcro...

Date: March 18, 2011 10:57AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:31AM

Date: March 18, 2011 10:45AM

I'd probably end up pulling my daughter and the dogs uphill, though. Thanks for the idea anyways ;p

TG

Posted by: BBRTYU ( )
Date: February 01, 2016 02:51PM

NO ONE HAS ANSWERED THE QUESTION??????????????????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.