Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:40AM

First of all, this is my first time posting on this board - but I have been an eager reader for a few years now. I am never-mo, but had family in SLC that I visit regularly (numerous times a year) starting when I was in 7th grade. For the last 20 years (yes - even starting in 7th grade) I have studied Mormonism and have amassed a large collection of LDS related materials/books/resources.

As a music teacher - I am intrigued by LDS hymns - and their history. When comparing the original LDS hymn compilations with the 1985 green version, there are maybe 25 or so that are the same. Hymns are always a reflection of theology - and as theology changes, what you sing about theology will change too.
One gem from the late 1800's is "O Stop and Tell me, Red Man..."

Verse one:
O stop and tell me Red Man,
Who are ye? why you roam?
And how you get your living?
Have you no God;—no home?

There are seven more verses.

My question to throw out at you, especially older (wiser, of course) folks - what hymns/songs do you remember singing in your childhood that are no longer 'kosher' because of changing doctrine/emphasis?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:48AM

I can't really answer your question specifically, but I'll take a stab at it generally.

When I was a kid, there were God and Jesus songs like Called To Serve Him, I Wonder When He Comes Again, etc. along with fluff ones like Give Said The Little Stream etc.

When I taught primary 10-15 years ago, they had been replaced by obey what the bureaucracy tells you, and book of mormon songs like, Follow The Prophet, Arm of Helaman, etc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 11:04PM

singing many old standard Christian Hymns, some are in the LDS Hymnal, some of the words are changed.

I have a collection of hymnals and song books: Christian and Mormon that go back to the 1800's. The original ones were listed by Hymn Tune (no music,only words) -- Christian music, predominately from the 1800s. As the LDS Church grew, musically inclined writers began adding new music, some have become favorites.

They are not easily accessible, or I could give you a list of music that is not used today.

Religious music, like movies, for instance, are mostly about art following society of the times. The subjects, language of times past has, in many cases, become politically incorrect.
The same is true for hymns.

Posted by: Stuck ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 02:27AM

Posted by: TIP TOPPER ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 08:11PM

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 08:17PM

I always feel like the "follow the prophet" song has a dark and dismal tune, disguised by the semi-fast tempo.

Just putting that out there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.