Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Staring you down ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:08PM

Conference is over. Now is the time to prepare for the unavoidable love bombing. Here's what worked for me like a cross against a vampire. Please do the same and report back.

Regardless of your personal beliefs. Get some flyers, put on your nicest smile and then

!!! Invite them to a christian NON LDS church !!!

Trust me. You never hear back from them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helios ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:14PM

An ivitation to an atheist meetup would be even more effective I think. Or, you could invite them to a non-Christian service. I suggest a Wiccan meetup.

Posted by: Staring you doen ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:17PM

No, they would use that against you. Inviting them to a christian group leaves them without arguments.

Date: October 03, 2010 06:47PM

How would they use this against you? It's not like you're doing anything illegal. What are they going to do? Excommunicate you?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:54PM

helios Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How would they use this against you? It's not
> like you're doing anything illegal. What are they
> going to do? Excommunicate you?

Clearly, you don't understand how some TBM families would use this against exmo members! Trust us! They would!

Date: October 03, 2010 07:11PM

Hey I have a TBM family too. I get it. But at some point, you have to recognize the fact that TBMs only have leverage over you if you let them.

Posted by: Staring you down ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:55AM

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:16PM

Posted by: archaicoctober ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:44PM

Haha! Oh man...

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:22AM

. . . probably because I have a whole list of wonderful responses and they know me too well . . . (as the only TBMs I know are relatives). Darn it.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:35AM

I had flyers to the Wesley Bell Ringers at the Methodist church, handy on the desk by the front door.

Also effective are charity flyers and invitations to fund-raisers!

A relative ran for public office, a few months after we resigned, and I would ask every Mormon who came to our door to contribute money to his campaign. I had his flyer, and I would go off on a rant on how wonderful he and his family are, bla-bla-bla. I would not let the missionaries or the child-recruiters get a word in edgewise!

It worked!

Well, that, plus officially resigning, along with my children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 12:35AM by forestpal.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 01:36PM

I warned my 18 year old sister that she would probably be getting a lot of lectures following the conference sessions since they stressed that our eternal salvation is on the shoulders of our family, and it's their duty to bring us back to church. I expect they won't be contacting me however, because they know from experience that talking to me is useless. I have done the research and actually know what I'm talking about. I can't be swayed by emotional arguments or guilt trips anymore. I think they have given up on me.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 03:42PM

I didn't know it was conference, but now a lot of things make sense. My mother called twice yesterday, once after the first session and the second time after the second. She is planning a birthday party for herself and decided to only invite family, kids and grandkids. I think this is her small way of trying to get us together to do whatever she plans on doing to reactivate.
We had been making so much progress with her accepting us. Hopefully we didn't loose too much ground.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 04:40PM

Yeah my father brought up the church with me today. I almost felt like saying "I knew you were going to do this because of conference." I just blew him off though. If he brings the church up again I will be forcefull in my tone of voice and tell him never to bring it up again. I am not going to try and deconvert him he is almost 60 and is to ingrained in it all.

Posted by: top ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 02:22PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.