Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:37PM

As I watch the smoke being blown, I'm wondering if there has ever been a mormon church president that has met with a Pope.

If his wife were to be with him, she would have to be decked out in a black veil.

I'd pay to see that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 03:00PM

Levi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> mormon church president that
> has met with a Pope.
>
> I'd pay to see that...

Will this suffice?

http://my-ear-trumpet.tumblr.com/image/22437082626

From Pigrim's Progress

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:35PM

Pope doesn't have time for religious hillbillies. My guess would be no.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:22PM

Sparty made me laugh. Nailed it.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:37PM

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:50PM

I only know of a joke where they met. Apparently SLC has the direct line to God and the Vatican has to call collect.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 06:11PM

Why would the leader of the Mormon business want to talk to a person who also claims to talk to God?

They are both lying. When they meet it would be kind of awkward.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:26PM

The pope doesn't claim to see or talk to God. That would be the prophet.The pope claims to be Christ's representative but he doesn't claim personal contact.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:19PM

Oh please. Does the Pope even know what a Mormon is? I swear, Mormons are so full of themselves.

I remember when the entire freaking Bishopric came over to our house one Sunday after church to try to save our souls (we'd just come home from the beach). They'd gotten wind that our family had returned to the Catholic church, so they were trying to lure us all back from The Great and Abominable Church, The Whore of All the Earth.

Anyway, as one last-gasp effort in our debate, this 30-something Utard Bishop said, "But the LDS church has 13 million members!"

I stared at him for a stunned moment, gobsmacked at his attempt at logic, and replied: "The Catholic Church has 1.2 BILLION members."

That shut him up and the boys left. <eye roll>

;o)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 08:46PM by shannon.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:33PM

I was subjected to when I first arrived on UT soil as a BYU bound nevermo 18 year old. I was, also, gobsmacked. (I love that word.) Coming from the East Coast and from a life where the only people I ever heard the word "Mormon" from were the Osmonds I had no idea where these jokes came from.

Apparently there was some on-going feud between Catholics and Mormons that Catholics knew nothing about.

sigh

Date: March 13, 2013 08:36PM

Exactly! You said it so much better than me!

;o)

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:49PM

Well said!

Date: March 13, 2013 08:44PM

I was very small when John Paul II was shot, but I remember the incident well. I thought he was an extraordinarily good man in my child's mind, especially for forgiving his assassin. Yet, I remember being in Primary about two years later or so, & the teacher holding up a photo of JPII on the cover of a magazine, probably LIFE, & saying that he was a bad man, that his religion was false, & many other things. It was one of my earliest incidences of having cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:42PM

Date: March 13, 2013 08:54PM

Date: March 20, 2013 03:19PM

This is long before I had any clear idea of what went on in temples. When I attended BYU in the late seventies it was prime-time for Bruce R. McConkie and his huge tome (I swear most BYU students were spoon fed on what was in that book.."Mormon Doctrine"). There was a critique of every aspect of Christendom/Catholicism in there from the "pealing of bells" to "the lighting of candles"...and it was all evil evil evil. Had I only known then what I know now.

Posted by: lilygeorge ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:07PM

One of my first culture shocks at BYU lo many years ago was when my roommate from Orem, on hearing I was the only Mormon in my school (and a convert at that) said she thought that most people were either Mormon or Catholic and that a lot of people knew the Catholic Church was the Great and Abominable...

Date: March 13, 2013 09:09PM

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 09:31PM

I know that during the early 1980s after Pope John Paul II took over the reigns of the Roman Catholic church, he became very involved in talks aimed at reuniting the different Christian faiths. I remember hearing on the radio the question of the willingness of the LDS church to discuss the issues with the Catholic pontiff with the Mormons saying that they would be willing to discuss Christian reunification issues with the understanding that they (the Mormon church) weren't going to change their minds about anything.

I also know that some Catholic church leaders will work closely with Mormon church leaders on some issues, such as Proposition 8 in California.

That said, in 2001, Pope John Paul II in a document posted at

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20010605_battesimo_mormoni_en.html

made it very clear that the Church of Rome in no way viewed the Mormon baptism ritual as being legitimate. And, please note that the prefect who signed the document as well was none other than the man who became John Paul II's immediate successor. I can't say that any LDS church leader would *ever* want to meet with a Catholic Pope after reading that document.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:36PM

Well, the Catholic Church got at least one thing right.

It's just a clerical problem that tscc can correct by re baptizing all living and dead over again using the correct procedures.

Date: March 13, 2013 10:40PM

And you jogged my memory.

I was raised in the Catholic church but converted to Mormonism as an adult. My husband was BIC Mormon Royalty. He was, and is, a total JackMo, but straightened up just long enough for us to be sealed in the Temple.

Anyway, about the time that I became horrified by the LDS church (and let me enter a disclaimer upfront that I was well-educated in the horrors of the historical and modern-day Catholic church), I had a whole brood of children ranging in age from infant to teenagers. When I made the decision to return to the Catholic church, I was presented with a plethora of ways to do so.

My infant could simply be baptised/christianed after Mass one Sunday. My grammar school-aged children had to spend a year in CCD (Sunday School) and prep classes in order to be baptised/confirmed/receive their First Communion. My teenagers had to attend adult RCI (Rite of Chrisitan Initiation) classes for a year.

The Catholic church adamantly refuses to recognize LDS baptism, although they do honor baptism by just about every other Protestant denomination. During one RCI class, I had a particularly rebellious, mouthy, intelligent daughter who kept asking the visiting Monsignier *WHY* her Mormon baptism wasn't good enough!

Finally, the Monsignier stared her down and said distinctly: "Because. The. Mormon. Church. Is. A. Cult."

Ha!

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 10:40PM by shannon.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:58PM

Well said, Monsignier!

(But for anyone reading this and wondering why Catholic and Protestant churches recognize each other's baptisms but not Mormon baptism, they only recognize baptism in the name of God--the monotheistic "Triune" God. Since Mormonism is a polytheistic religion--more than one god--it isn't Christian as they understand it.)

Date: March 20, 2013 03:21PM

is completely different than the Christian god.

This is why.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:05PM

"It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

~~Brigham Young, Grand PPSR (President, Prophet, Seer and Revelator)

"Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken--HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later.... When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family; and when he took a tabernacle, it was begotten by his Father in heaven, after the same manner as the tabernacles of Cain, Abel, and the rest of the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve."

~~Brigham Young, Grand PPSR

Jesus is the son of Michael, the Archangel.

Is the Pope ready to accept this Gospel?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 03:34PM

that's hilarious Shannon :)

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:43PM

Monson: My voodoo is the only twooo voodoo.

Pope: My voodoo is the only legitimate voodoo.

Very subtle difference, but other than that, it's all voodoo to me and to you. Voodoo, it's twooo.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:05PM

The Catholics are aware of the Mormons because of the fact that the Mormons are always trying to get their hands on church ordinance records so that they can dunk the dead Catholics. I remember reading that the Catholics had told their parishes not to hand over records to the Mormons.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:34AM

Only to schedule the next BYU-Notre Dame football game.

Posted by: satanslittlehelper ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:10AM

I doubt the pope is any more aware of who runs the mormon church than he is of who is the president of Amway.

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:12AM

LOL a quick glance at your nickname I thought it said "santa's little helper" ... HA HA.

Although truth be told, not much difference either way

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:57AM

Well this was from what, 6 years ago?!?!?!

I had to wait to get my answer, but I got it.

Still, his wife didn't get to go, so I still missed out on the black veil thinggy

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 12:05PM

Yep, 6 years later.

ETA: I wonder if the ladies didn't go in order to avoid that very optic=the women having to wear black and a black veil?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 12:06PM by angela.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 12:24PM

I have it on good authority that dead Mormon prophets are assigned as Home Teachers, er, Minsters to dead popes.

So yes, Mormon prophets meet popes in Spirit Prison™

;-)

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 12:31PM

LOL

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 04:23PM

What has become of Uncle Dale, we wonder?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 07:42PM

Uncle Dale may be gone but he will never be forgotten.

Godspeed UD.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:20PM

in the eyes, then pointed to the massive obelisk towering above St. Peter's square and said: "Mine is bigger than yours."

President Nelson, looking confused and nervous turned to Eyring:"What about ours? How big is it?"

"We don't even have one," Eyring whispered into Nelson's ear.

Just then Dallin Oaks walked in carrying a ceramic obelisk about 4 inches high. "Look what I found in the souvenir shop! We can put it in temple square!"

The Pope looked at the tiny souvenir obelisk in Oaks' hand and then, taking in the embarrassed expressions on the faces of Nelson and Eyring, doubled over with convulsive laughter...tears streaming down his face.

"What-a have-a you-a done-a to-a the Holy Papa?" one of the Pope's assistants asked.

"I just showed him this," Oaks said, showing the tiny souvenir obelisk in his hand.

The assistant looked at the souvenir obelisk, looked out at St. Peter's square...and then joined the Pope in uncontrollable laughter that reportedly continued for nearly 30 minutes, while Nelson, Eyring and Oaks stood by in helpless confusion.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 01:13AM

I'm sure a lot of them have met in hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.