Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 10:05PM

There were posts recently by someone who said they were an atheist but who wanted a church with good moral standards to raise their children in.

Most people felt certain that the post was a fraud, because: "What atheist would want to do THAT?" was the consensus of opinion.

But a day or so after the post I remembered back to 1979/80 when I met and fell heavily in love with the woman who was the first real love of my life. In fact, we went out together on and off for about 4 or 5 years.

She was an investigator and she made it clear that she was an atheist but who wanted to join a church that would be a good moral basis for raising her children in. She was a single parent.

Eventually she realised Mormonism was a total crock and stopped investigating.

So it IS possible for an atheist to want to join a church in order to give their family some sort of a home. Looking back on it, I can see now how illogical such an action is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:25AM

just in case it wasn't obvious.

Date: January 16, 2011 11:58AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just in case it wasn't obvious.

Dave, just because he is not the kind of atheist that you are, doesn't mean he is not some kind of atheist.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:35AM

"Posted by: fschmidt ( )
"Date: January 12, 2011 05:48PM
"Atheist Considering Joining Mormons
"I am an atheist who is disgusted with modern decadent culture. I am looking for a church to join that has good moral values. I also want this for my kids so that they can associate with decent people. The Mormon church seems a good candidate. I couldn't care less what their mythology is as long as they are willing to take a stand against liberalism and feminism. I have talked to local Mormons and they seem to accept my atheism. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't join?"

If that is the post in question, before you go giving "fschimdt" the benefit of the doubt, you may want to consider this complete web-page:
http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=71305

And this one:
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Love_Shy
"Fschmidt, real name Franklin Richard Schmidt, is a 49-year-old man who writes essays about rape where he compares rapists to Robin Hood says that American women are WORSE THAN THE NAZIS and deserve to be raped. He posts this under Fschmidt on the forums and co-founded a company called NexTag in 1998, an internet company whose "business model didn't make sense". His other hobby is doxxing the shit out of himself by putting his home address on the internet. He runs his own forums called the CoAlpha Brotherhood, which suggests that fat losers try to seduce married women. Is married to Lina H Schmidt, a former Mexican who only married this huge piece of shit for a green card and does not love him. Before he got married he would blow all his dot-com money on hookers every week. Claims to have moved to El Paso, but is probably lying about this. He likes to post that he's "not afraid to fight people IRL" but if you call him on this he will come up with a bullshit excuse like moving out of the country. He admits on Love-shy that if he ever actually fought someone he would secretly bring mace because he's unable to defend himself."

Date: January 16, 2011 12:02PM

You made an unwarranted assumption. I don't give him the benefit of ANY doubt. At all.

In fact, I provided a link to his more odious remarks about women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 12:03PM by matt.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 10:26AM

I've known a few people who had absolutely no interest in going to church themselves (for a variety of reasons, including disbelief) but have no problem choosing a religious school or church for their children to attend. In the end it has not seemed to have done the parents or the children any harm.

It's easy enough (especially on this board, it seems) for certain people to wrap themselves and their own convictions in as shining and glorious a mantle as that with which believers wrap themselves. If I'm not mistaken, the mantle is named "Sanctimony" and it doesn't matter which way it gets wrapped.

:-)

Date: January 17, 2011 04:41PM

voltaire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've known a few people who had absolutely no
> interest in going to church themselves (for a
> variety of reasons, including disbelief) but have
> no problem choosing a religious school or church
> for their children to attend. In the end it has
> not seemed to have done the parents or the
> children any harm.
>
> It's easy enough (especially on this board, it
> seems) for certain people to wrap themselves and
> their own convictions in as shining and glorious a
> mantle as that with which believers wrap
> themselves. If I'm not mistaken, the mantle is
> named "Sanctimony" and it doesn't matter which way
> it gets wrapped.
>
> :-)

When I met her I was a TBM and thought her idea was a good one. By the time we broke up she was no longer interested in joining any church and I was no longer a believer and realised her idea was, well, crappy, really.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:47AM

I have seen fschimdt's posts and he is a misogynist. His hobbies include hating women and justifying rape.

Posted by: Coffeemachtspass ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 11:32AM

OT: Wow. When I read about people like fschmidt I have to close my eyes and chant "First Amendment" over and over. What an ass.

Back to the thread:
"Atheist" means a person says NO to the question, "Do you believe in a god?" It doesn't tell what that person does believe. And there are plenty of people with strange or incompatible beliefs who don't believe in gods. That includes a desire to be part of an organism even if you think it's bs.

Here's one to ponder. William Lobdell is a new atheist who really wants to believe, but simply doesn't. He's been a member of several churches and used to write a column on religion for the Los Angeles Times before he 'gave up the ghost' during the big wave of child rape discoveries in the Catholic Church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.