Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:35AM

Not trying to be morbid or anything, but sometimes I wonder what people will say about me at my funeral. I hope my kids say that I was a good mom, that I loved them and encouraged them to think for themselves, to get a good education, and that I was a lot of fun. I hope my friends say that I was a good and loyal friend who made them laugh. Hopefully I'll have some grandkids who will say I was the best Grandma ever, the way I did for my own grandmother.

It comforts me to know that I won't have on temple garb, that I won't have somebody with a glove explaining how the glove is my body and their hand is my spirit and I won't have anybody preaching the gospel while not letting my family and friends remember me in eulogy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:46AM

Was he my biological father? Who is to say? The guy got around.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:41AM

and sing all the verses of "I am a child of God."

My hard-working sleep-deprived divorced non-Mormon friends and relatives will be already dead, but maybe some of the pampered, nipped-and-tucked-and tanned Mormon SAHM's will speak about how much they enjoyed shunning me. They can spread more gossip about how I was after their paunchy, boring arrogant husbands, bla-bla.

My kids won't even want a funeral. Maybe they'll have a party, like a single friend of mine had. She left money for all her friends to have a fabulous catered luncheon, and we were all invited to offer stories and tidbits about her life. Too bad she wasn't there.

My ex-Mormon aunt had a gravesite service, but with no praying by her Mormon kids, and no "consecrating the gravesite" either--thought her kids came back and did that later. She wanted a bagpiper, playing her favorite Scottish songs.

Maybe all us ex-Mormons should plan our funerals now, and maybe write the speeches, too, and arrange to have the funeral someplace other than in a Mormon church--especially if we have Mormon spouses and children. Do it now, and put it in with your will!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 08:07PM

funerals, memorial services, give our body to science, Revocable Wills/Trusts, burial sites, head stones, cremation etc. We have the trust/wills done, but now we have to make decisions about the rest of it. Or we can leave it to our kids with the trust/wills.I'm considering giving my body to science.

Those that have had a loved one die recently have told me that it helped that one of the adult "kids" wrote the eulogy and bio a little bit ahead of time. They collected info and wrote a history and had the obit and a photo ready for the paper.

I guess it really doesn't matter what is said, as I won't be there to hear it, so I'll just do my best ....now! :-)
My concern is that things go smoothly for those that are still living.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.