Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Yewt101 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:22PM

When I was a young toddler I would wander around the foyer after meetings while my mother and sisters socialized with everyone. One bishopbric member would often come up and ruffle my hair or whatnot and tease me.

He started joking around with me one day, and I decided to show him a new handshake I learned earlier from a friend. He followed my handshake with enthusiasm and decided to exchange his own. He tells me, "this is a super important one" and showed me the sure sign of the nail.

Of course I had no idea what it was and thought it was boring and not as cool as the one I had shown him. He would give me the handshake every week or so after that for a couple of months.

Looking back on all this disturbs me... like wtf?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:25PM

What's the sign of the nail? can you describe it for us neverMos? Why is it called that?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:43PM

I thought they weren't supposed to reveal any of that handshake crap upon pain of death. Actually, I know they're not supposed to because I went through the temple in 1987.

I had a similar experience in Scouts. Many of the grownups had trouble with the Scout handshake. They kept pressing an index finger into my wrist. The rest of the Scout handshake is identical to the Patriarchal Grip Or Sure Sign Of The Nail. So, at age 13 I remember going around giving people handshakes like that at a Scout conference. I got some very surprised looks and had no idea why they were so upset.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:11PM

That was a GREAT video!! Really like the smarmy music.

So..now I'm going to memorize all these secret handshakes - LOL - boy, were there some Mormons pissed in the comments section.

Dudes, your secret's safe with me, not to worry... :)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:57PM

Its rather funny actually. I wonder if the guy actually believed though because its crazy that he would do that outside of the temple.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 02:15PM

I have wanted to slip a handshake to ward members when I see them out and about. Most likely it would be "The Son.". They go in for the normal handshake then... Bam!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.