Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:59PM

You guys are a big part of this post.

Thanks for all the support:

http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php?p=260819#260819

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 07:40PM

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 08:22PM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 08:54PM

You're one smart cookie!

Congrats on learning to think for yourself. The world is at your feet. And there are lots of handsome cool nice guys out there who really really value that and will also be at your feet. Non-Mos, of course.

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:07PM

My nephew is 16 and is forced to attend church, seminary etc. or he will lose he cell ph, tv and other things. He has confided in me that he doesn't believe in the church.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:24PM

That's probably the highest on what bugs me about religions in general, what mindset do parents have, that forcing your children into a religion is going to keep them in that religion as soon as they are of age?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 09:48PM by anon123.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:16PM

Good story anon123. You are way ahead of where I was at your age. You are a smart girl and have so much to look forward to. The best of luck in all you do.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:01AM

I wish I'd have had the courage to follow my doubts at your age. Way to go!! Good luck. :)

Posted by: notinspite ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:16AM

Hey, I am a 24 year old Elementary Ed. teacher that got my degree at BYU-I. I have a lot of good memories from there but I wish I didn't go there. I wish I would have been more independent and done my own thing after high school.

Right now is the time to focus on your grades, get a part time job and earn some of your own money to pay for college. I relied on my fam. and the church to do that too much, not completely but more than I would have liked. In return it was harder for me to leave because I felt like I owed something to the church and family that helped me here and there.

Do your time until you are 18, so to speak, and then make a fast break out of there. Don't get caught up in illegal things or other things that will take away from you meeting a goal. Focus on whatever makes you happy and will bring you success.

I also wish sometimes I didn't go into Elementary Ed. Make sure you really love what you decide to pursue and take time to pick your major. I did it hastily because I thought it would be easy(it's not). This may not apply to you but it's something I am dealing with right now in my life.

I grew up in a predominant Mormon community so it was cool to go to church. So for me it wasn't a big deal. Since you are under 18 I would try and just go along with what your parents want you to do but do the bare minimum. Hang out with a good girlfriend and make things light and funny at church. Have a good attitude, and try and find the best out of church. I know it's hard but there is some good in there. I am completely anti and never go to church,but I don't go around with a negative attitude. Stick up for yourself and approach your concerns in a mature way to your parents if you feel the need. A lot of times it's hopeless to talk to a strong believer. They totally think you are taken over by satan's influence. A lot of times it's actions that speak louder than words. Chin up and get involved with whatever drives and makes you happy.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:08PM

I want to encourage you! You can still change your career and do it on your own timeline by taking classes. In a way you will be making your own move to a new life, like the OP is doing. Have you thought of a master's degree in a new field?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.