Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 11:45PM

This guy was an EQ assistant or something like that. It was his turn to teach the EQ one Sunday. He spent the first half of the hour leading up to his big news. He talked in a very heartfelt tone, saying how he believed it was time to reveal some important news. How he had prayed about it, and even argued with god about the timing etc. but sincerely felt that now was the time. He then told us that he knew that he would be the next prophet. The so called 'spirit' was quick to leave as everyone became extremely uncomfortable.

At the end of the meeting, the EQ prez gets up and attempts to mend the damage. He states that he did not beleive that so and so really believed that he would be the Prophet, but that it was an object lesson to show how we should always be prepared and worthy because we never know what god might have planned for us.

Then, the next F&T meeting, this same loon gets up to the podium. He then apologized to the entire congregation for his behavior in EQ. And just when we thought he might smooth it over he says 'but, I have a testimony, that in four years time I will be called to be an apostle of God, and then the next prophet'. OUCH. The Bishopric was squirming hard up on the stand, with their heads in their hands and probably really wondering what to do.

This sort of thing is probably not that uncommon in a church that teaches that feelings=reality. This was about 11 years ago. I wonder what ever happened to that guy. He's not an apostle btw. No surprise there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:17AM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 04:56AM

by shooting his brother Joel with a 38 revolver.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 04:54AM

MORmONS insist with a straight face that pervert Joe, tyrant Brigham, & @$$ clown Hinckley are holy men ? This guy could not have been much further off than the whackos who really did make it to LDS Prophet/President.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 05:00AM

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 06:38AM

Slightly off topic but its the same with people who believe in reincarnation: They are ALWAYS either Jesus Christ, Napoleon, Captain Scott, Nelson, the Duke of Wellington, George Washington or any other famous person of years gone by.

They are NEVER, say, a washer woman or African slave - someone NORMAL of previous eras.

Posted by: josh ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 10:16AM

You just lumped everyone who believed in reincarnation into one big group...

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:07AM

though i don't 'know'

I think I was Jim Morrison in my past life

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 06:08AM

Nealster hit that nail on the head every time i read about reincarnation. People are always cleopatra or alaxander the great. On another forum I post on a guy said he was a Wehrmacht General on Dday. On tv they were interviewing a girl who said she lived in 300 AD. Lived to be 120 and died surronded by a huge family in a huge house. Its never James the peasant who died of the plague

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 06:25AM by dieter.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:37AM

My brother once claimed to have been a female prostitute in a former life...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:58AM

I've known quite few people who claimed to be King Arthur, Lancelot, Guenievere, Cleopatra etc....Usually these are the same people who don't really understand the reincarnation concept.
A "psychic" told me I was a Chinese concubine in a former life. I thought that was pretty amusing.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 01:17PM

Yes, our ward had a man who would beg the bishop to be re-baptized every few years, so all his sins would be washed clean.

It was thrilling entertainment to have him get up and give a speech. Most of the time he seemed pretty normal, but then something would set him off, and there was no telling what he would say.

I'm sorry to say this unstable person was married, with six or eight kids.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:56PM

Back in my still-fairly-TBM days, there was a middle-aged member filling in for a gospel doctrine teacher. At one point during his lesson, the man’s countenance suddenly changed and he announced that the Lord had prompted him three times to share the information he was about to share, so he was going to follow that prompting. The room got very quiet… although probably not for the reason that the man thought! I remember thinking laughingly, “This’ll be a good one!” --Ready for this guy’s “revelation”?:

“When we die, HF is going to ask the women one question. Just one question!: ‘DID YOU OBEY YOUR HUSBAND?’”

I thought, “Yeah, you WISH!”

This man’s wife was a mouse. She hardly dared to say a word in his presence, ever; and for this and other reasons, I suspected he was an abusive husband. Probably she tried to stand up for herself one day and this man attempted to use this ‘revelation from God’ as a way to frighten her back into submission.

I have no doubt this man found himself in the bishop's office soon thereafter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.