Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 09:51AM

garments are not to be placed on the floor. This is something not included in previous book 1 editions.

Now that this is doctrine, does anyone have faith promoting stories about how we are to treat garments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 11:50AM

If magic undies touched the floor, the floor might become magical.

I think TSCC is just trying to control the magicness from spreading.

Posted by: Jerry ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:25PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 11:58AM

You can obviously let them touch the floor, the real intent is that they be cared for by placing in a hamper and not left carelessly strewn like regular clothing often is.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:04PM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can obviously let them touch the floor...

How is it obviously OK to let them touch the floor, but they say otherwise?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:12PM

Touching the floor and being placed on the floor are different, no?

Surely touching the floor can't be helped when dressing or undressing, or when frolicking or crawling under the bed to grab that shoe, but that is a lot different than placing them on the floor after you've taken them off.

The OP says the CHI specifies "placed" as did the temple advice.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:27PM

new edition.

We just didn't know it would be something this important!!

Nice find.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:31PM

was in the temple. I never did understand why that was so important. I do know that a lot of members think it's a horrible thing to do, though.
I'm not sure why. I think it's because they are considered sacred. Lots of superstitions when it comes to labeling something sacred.
Maybe it's one of those superstitions like not putting shoes on a table.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:36PM

Stop throwing ANY of your clothes on the floor? That would stop a lot of arguments in the home, I'm sure! Why is it so bad to leave your garmies on the floor and not your socks?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:07PM

Adult of god Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stop throwing ANY of your clothes on the floor?
> That would stop a lot of arguments in the home,
> I'm sure! Why is it so bad to leave your garmies
> on the floor and not your socks?

I'm with ya on this one!
As a mom, I don't want to see any of your clothes on the floor! :-) One of my pet peeves: putting dirty clothes on top of clean ones! ARGH!!!

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:07PM

Only a true Church would be concerned about underwear.

They are concerned how you wear them.

They are concerned how you get rid of them.

They are concern how you handed them when you take them off.

But have any of you ever been to a garment center in Utah. They are stacked in bins. Packets are handed by every. Oh its in a plastic envelope no problem. But it is like a "KMART for GARMENTS" so I don't get the rule "don't let then touch the floor" when everyone can handle them in a store.

Imagine telling your friends, "I am a Mormon but can not attend the Temple because I left my underwear on the floor!"

So you see the Church must be true. God is interested in how you look after your underwear but not the starvings kids in the world, or the increase need for humanitarian care, etc. No other Church could ever make that claim, so the Church must be true.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:26PM

This is so funny and so ridiculously true. Rules for underwear? I used to put mine on the floor when I was feeling rebelious. I would pick them up and look around to make sure no one saw what I had just done. Stupid!! It's underwear!!

The 3 times I went through the temple with dd's they gave the same old speech about the garments. Probably scripted it was so identical. I remember feeling embarrased with the last dd's "talk" and thinking WTH?

Posted by: eviltemptress ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:54PM

When I was about 10 years old I was at a friend's house (in Utah). My friend's parents had been inactive when she was a toddler and had gone back to church in the last few years with a renewed fervor. I was only allowed to spend the night with her if it was on a Saturday night and I went to church with them the next day. Looking back I really think the only reason she was allowed to be friends with me is because I was being raised by a single father, and they thought I should be around a more "normal" family so my dad would see the error of his ways.

Anyway, to the point. I was at her house one day and for some reason I went into the laundry room which was full of tons baskets and hampers and laundry bags, they had seven kids and one on the way plus the two parents and the father's brother living in the house. But hanging from the ceiling was one of those cloth bags that has an elastic opening on the bottom, the kind most people use to store plastic grocery bags. It had the word "garments" written on it in black marker.

I was confused and asked my friend's mother why it was up there. As far as I knew the word garment just meant an article of clothing and I told her that. She launched into a lecture on the holiness of the temple garments and how they are just so very special they are NEVER to touch the ground. Even when dirty they are to be elevated over the everyday clothing of the family. It also lead, of course, to a speech on how if I continued to go to church with them I could someday go through the temple and have underpants that were as special as hers were. If I recall correctly that was the beginning of the end of my friendship with that girl, I know I never spent the night at her house again.

I don't know where they got the idea that they had to suspend their dirty underwear from the ceiling, but this was about 15 years ago. I had other Mormon friends growing up, it was hard not to in Utah, and I always had a hard time looking their parents in the eye after that incident. I assumed they all held their dirty underwear in such high regard.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 02:08PM

And yet it's OK (in fact, it is COMMANDED) that you bury the garments in the ground to rot, so long as they are on a dead worthy Mormon.

Since you can use old garments as dust rags so long as you cut the sacred markings out of them, I would the the order in the new CHI would be simply not to let the MARKINGS touch the floor, since they are apparently the only sacred part.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 02:26PM

who had an absolute meltdown once when she dropped her garments on the floor accidentally. She freaked out and started worrying about going to hell and if she was unworthy to be a missionary and did she need to call the mission president and confess etc. I was honestly worried about her mental health. The weird thing is, she also hated our mission president and swore that if he ever became a GA, she would know it meant the church wasn't true and would leave it forever. I lost touch with her but our MP's been in the seventy for years now so I'm hoping she is free and clear and wearing normal underwear somewhere in the world.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.