Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 04:48PM

Specifically, not paying it works.

First, sithlord didn't pay tithing in all of 2011, but didn't tell me. He got a fabulous promotion and raise about a year ago. We've had several financial upturns since leaving the church last summer and just got some more fabulous news this morning.

Just more testimony that the only thing you get for paying tithing is 10% less money. We still give to good causes of our choosing and it's a much better thing.

In the name of Cheese Its and Mice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 05:08PM

My annual income has done nothing but go up since I stopped paying tithing about 5 years ago. Each year better than the last.

Not that that's an indication of anything, other than the fact that tithing most certainly doesn't have any impact on income beyond the placebo affect.

I remember a few years ago talking to a TBM who runs his own business. He said he would be terrified to find out what would happen to his business and livelihood if he ever stopped paying tithing. He thought he would be cursed and his business taken down. Turns out, a year or two after he said that, he encountered some major financial difficulties, whilst still a full tithe payer.

Hmmm

Date: March 27, 2013 05:10PM

Totally right! Good and bad stuff happens, independent of tithe paying.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 05:32PM

But I agree with you.

Avg savings account balance pre enlightenment was about $3,500
For the first 8 years of marriage. In 2004 I stopped paying but put it in savings. The balance went up to 9k. Figured if I was goingto pay I could always do it later since I saved the money. So fast forward 8 more years and add in 6-8k more each year.

Since there is no rule that says I can't put aside my tithing and save it for a specific time before paying it then I can honestly say Im a full tithe saver!

Yes bishop I'm a full tithe saver!

Date: March 27, 2013 05:46PM

Should I mention that we are also happier, more time with each other, new friends, freedom....

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 05:43PM

The paycheck at our house has almost doubled since we left the church. Add to that our retirement plan also almost doubled.

To make things even better we aren't throwing 10% of it down a black hole.

The hot tub has done wonders for me. I feel much better after being in it for 30 minutes a day. Paying tithing never did that for me.

My next round of money that would have went to tithing is going to go towards a new car. My other one is heading towards 15 years old. That extra 10% sure makes life easier.

Date: March 28, 2013 02:07AM

A hot tub is high on my list!

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 06:27PM

I quit paying tithing and quit praying and my business has never been better!

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 07:27PM

Mormons do not pay %10 to the church it is more like %14 - %25. Tithing is supposed to be on gross, not net pay. Plus do not forget Ward Budget, Missionary Fund, Temple Fund, Fast Offerings, etc. Add it all together it is way more than %10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 07:28PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 07:31PM

My TBM DH has a testimony of tithing.

I really wish he didn't.

Date: March 28, 2013 02:06AM

I used to have a great placebo effect testimony of tithing.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: March 27, 2013 09:20PM

Same experience here. Since we have stopped paying its been nothing but financial "blessings" (it must be the work of Satan trying to deceive us and lead us astray even more).
Just wish that we would have stopped paying long ago. I still can't believe that I fell for all of it; the fraud and brainwashing seem so obvious now.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 02:03AM

I never paid a cent of tithing all my adult life. Yet I retired ten years ahead of schedule (still can't believe it and have to pinch myself). I raised a healthy and intelligent son, have a long term marriage with my wife and secure, inexpensive housing in CA.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 02:50AM

There's nothing wrong with tithing. Just don't allow a penny of it to fall in to the hands of the Mormon church or any of its many money sucking organizations. Also, don't forget it's not fire insurance, it's your gift to others. You can find a charitable organization that will really make a positive difference in the lives of individuals somewhere, and donate the money to that purpose. You don't even have to let anyone know about it. It'll just make you feel good to know what you've done. Wow! what a concept. Donating money to help other's lives without any obligation to do so or reward for having done so. Too bad the Mormons didn't think of that.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 06:46AM

Talking to a TBM one day who was boasting, and quite rightly, about something that went well in their life not related to finances. I praise their effort and the resultant reward and they bring up "that's because I pay my tithes". Fine.

Not 30 minutes later they were telling me how there was a time when they couldn't pay their mortgage or utilities for a long stretch due to one thing or another, and how they scrambled to raise funds through family and extended relatives. Okay? Look, I'm a sensitive guy and I know when to shut up (most times) when people are baring their souls, right? But, it took all my willpower not to throw this back in their face with "Well how's that tithing thing workin' for ya?". Damn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.