Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:47AM

British comedian and host of the 68th annual "Golden Globes" award show, Ricky Gervais, dropped a lot of bombs--and jaws--Sunday night where, after insulting basically anybody and everybody in Hollywood's red carpet world, he "went out with a bang, saying 'I want to thank God for making me an atheist.'"

("Ricky Gervais Ends Golden Globes By Thanking God For Making Him An Atheist," by Colby Hall, "Mediaite," 16 January 2011, at: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ricky-gervais-ends-golden-globes-by-thanking-god-for-making-him-an-atheist/)
_____

The ensuing hell-of-a-boo-hoo hulabaloo by the ever-so-sensitive, self-important, kiss me-camera crowd prompted Michael Musto of the "Village Voice" to come to Gervais' defense, declaring, "[T]here is no God or there would be no 'Golden Globes.'"

("The Last Word," hosted by Lawrence O'Donnell, MSNBC, at: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/41127036#41127036)
_____

TV critic Caryn James summed up Gervais' controversial opener-and-closer act this way:

"If you were watching Ricky Gervais host the 'Golden Globes' on Sunday, for the first hour you could tell you were watching a go-for-broke performance that would become--and I‘m not exaggerating--legendary, a benchmark by which other flameout hosting gigs are measured. . . .

"The jokes might have been more daring than funny, but the risk felt exhilarating because Gervais wasn’t being outrageous for its own sake. He was targeting the hypocrisy of Hollywood and the inanity and self-importance of awards themselves. The idea of rewarding excellence in film and TV is a crazy, politicized business, which makes these awards shows full of smoke-and-mirrors pretense. It’s as if no one is meant to notice the Wizard behind the curtain, orchestrating the big-money campaigns, and Gervais’ specialty is pulling that curtain back.

"He crossed lines of taste and civility at times, as risky comedy always does. . . . [Robert] Downey came back with his own mockery, genially delivered (he is a good actor). 'Aside from the fact that it’s been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I’d say the vibe of the show is pretty good,' he said. . . .

"Then Gervais all but disappeared and the rest of the three hour show became lethally dull. That’s the pattern of most awards shows: a funny or flat opening, then endless thanks from the winners. . . . . He returned much toned-down. I would love to know what arm-twisting and litigious threats might have been flying around backstage; that would be a miniseries itself.

"On the red carpet before it all began, Gervais said that when he hosted last year the HFPA [Hollywood Foreign Press Association] asked him to return while that show was still going on, they were so happy with him. That’s not happening again, but I wouldn’t have missed Gervais’ weirdly honest implosion. I’d like to think there’s no going back to sanctimony after that, but I’m sure those Hollywood wizards can find a way."

(Caryn James, "TV Review, Ricky Gervais' 'Golden Globes' Implosion," with video of Gervais' "notorious monologue," at:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/carynjames/archives/tv_review_ricky_gervais_golden_globes_implosion/)
_____

Were some of Gervais' bawdy jokes in bad taste? I think so; but, hey, religion is also a performance in bad taste.

What goes around comes around. :)

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 05:56AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:18AM

I thought the joke about charlie sheen was spot on.
Robert downey jnr *is* best known for rehab and jail
'The Tourist' *is* a rubbish movie

but..... sometimes it's best not to tell the truth, especially in a self-important, self-aggrandising industry like the 'luvvies'

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:14AM

saying 'I want to thank God for making me an atheist.'

I actually saw this line in the "news" page of Google over an hour before Ricky said it.
Timely reportin, eh?

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:24AM

heck.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:54AM

I only watched clips of it after it became a big deal, I'm not into watching the most vain people congratulate themselves, so I don't watch those look at how wonderful we are shows.

The clips I saw were great. Paying someone to tell you how wonderful you are, then getting a dose of the truth instead, is great! I love it.

I'm sure they don't feel like they got what they paid for, but everyone else should have loved seeing someone tell the truth, not kissing ass.

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:21AM

Some have commented that Gervais treated the hosting gig as more of a "roast" than an awards show, but so what. Some of his digs were pretty funny, especially the Robert Downey one and the gay Scientologists remark. His atheist comment was lame, but again - so what? Not much that is said at Hollywood's self-indulgent masturbatory orgies of self-congratulation is of real significance.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:51AM

A one of the movie critics said in response to the hoopla about Gervais, "If there was a God there wouldn't be a Golden Globes."

Date: January 18, 2011 02:18PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 02:22PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:23AM

He drew attention to himself, the program, and the movies...

In the name of H.L. Mencken...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:33AM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:40AM

Date: January 18, 2011 02:28PM

. . . when told to "give 'em hell, Harry!":

"I don't give 'em hell. I tell them the truth and they think it's hell."

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:43AM

Date: January 18, 2011 02:19PM

Date: January 18, 2011 06:23PM

He's not funny.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:18AM

In my view, some of his jokes were hilarious; some were off the mark.

But, hey, that's the risk you take when you're doing high-wire comedy.

You're bound to offend some--even those who boast of being a "Bad Girl," but who strangely can't seem to take "Bad Boy" comedy.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 12:25AM by steve benson.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:58AM

I just didn't think he was very clever or funny.
We're all entitled to our opinion.
I was not "offended", and I'm not "boasting".
You sure do assume a lot!

Date: January 19, 2011 01:02AM

If she thinks its funny, it's comedy.

If it does not tickle her personal funny bone, then it isn't comedy.

End of story.

Bad Girl's real problem here is that comedy she doesn't like puts her in a Bad Mood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 01:02AM by steve benson.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:59AM

Date: January 19, 2011 01:03AM

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 01:19PM

This practicing Catholic is of the opinion that religion is a private matter that has no place in government, politics and certainly not in awards ceremonies but damn, I thought that line was funny as hell!

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:46PM

Mormon God left such a scant and shaky trail of evidence of his alleged existence that I really have no choice but not believe in him. If he is a just God, I think he would totally understand why I don't believe in him and would hold me blameless.

I gave it my best shot, and if he's omniscient he knows that.

I have to say that I am more of a rationalist than any kind of atheist - I like to keep an open mind (although I think the chances of a Mormon God are microscopically small). The last thing I want to be is dogmatic about it. Fortunately, in leaving Mormonism my karma ran over my dogma.

Date: January 19, 2011 01:15AM

Philosophical, even.

Now, that's good comedy. :)

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 04:13PM

The atheist mantra: There is no God ... and I hate Him.

Posted by: mossface ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 06:20PM

Allow me to fix that for you.

"The atheist mantra: There is probably no God."

Don't be silly.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:22AM

An atheist thanking God for making him an atheist.

I know that's deep and perplexing to you, but think on it for a bit.

It'll come, once you take your nose out of your Bible. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 12:26AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:26PM

Just a little promo to keep my son and the "Wildbrain" animators working.
http://slyoyster.com/television/2010/the-ricky-gervais-show-episode-1/

Couldn't help but notice he read from a card for a joke or two, but I must have stopped watching after Gervais left the stage. Glad to hear he came back to thank god. This is the first I'd heard about it, LOL!

I get all my "news" from RFM.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:02PM

...inherently more visciously cutting than American humor as time spent with a bunch of Brits would clearly show. Most Brits would not even shy away from making themselves the butt of the joke...something, in my experience, not a normal part of American humor. That said, while I agree the show shouldn't be above a little mickey taking to deflate the pompous egos on display, I personally find Gervais very unfunny. However, to each his own.

Date: January 19, 2011 01:03AM

If Steve Benson thinks he's funny, he must be funny.
After all, Stevie is in the comedy business.

Date: January 19, 2011 01:07AM

I already noted in this thread my opinion that some of his comedy I found hilarious and other parts of it off the mark.

But, noooooooooooooo, if you don't think it's funny, then it's not comedy.

That's like saying if you don't like a novel, then it's not a novel.

I get the same kind of grumping from critics of my cartoons. When they don't agree with them, the call them (quote-unquote) "cartoons." They're still cartoons, whether they like them or not. If they agreed with them, they wouldn't put the term in quotes.

It's all subjective, BG. It remains comedy, just like jokes remains jokes; whether or not it's "good" comedy or a "good" joke is up to you to decide during those personal, quiet moments within your soul. :)

(BTW, I use the term "soul" in comedic fashion, given that I'm an atheist).

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 01:17AM by steve benson.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:06PM

A little was in bad taste, but this is normal for standup, and he did not edit or tread carefully for his audience.

I think it is fairly traditional to mock the audience, and award givers - Letterman did it. The audience often gives them the silent treatment, and I really was surprised when they laughed.

The atheist comment was funny, and ironic.

Nice to see people publicly declare their nonbelief without being burned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.