Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:23AM

I shut down my FB for a couple months, and you know what? It was nice.

So I get on about once a week now, and last night wrote a post about how I was starting to read "In Sacred Loneliness."

My aunt gets on asking what the authors agenda was and then says in another entry how she learned in college to research others research. She graduated from BYU. Then she said we can agree to disagree.

Mormons are so ready to attack when they feel threatened. The only reason why she even commented on my post is because she knows about my unbelief. I don't know if I will respond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:35AM

I would probably reply with something like:
I know Boyd Packer said that not all things that are true are useful, but I for one like to know the whole truth and not just bow my head and say yes - like a sheep! So yes, Auntie dear, we can agree to disagree. I like broadening my knowledge and being able to decern for myself, you like being told what to believe and how to think.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:36AM

You can link to this review for her:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/review/?vol=10&num=2&id=290

If the church doesn't appear to have a problem with this book, why should she? What specific piece(s) of information does she dispute?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:38AM

I just delete the comments that I don't like.

My fb is for me and my agenda, not theirs.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:39AM

Read "an insiders view of Mormon origins" by Grant Palmer, then post about it and see what happens - very hard to disagree with the facts and research presented by a long standing Member of the Church who served as the Church's CES Director for a long time and had access to all the Church's historical records...

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:52AM

something like.. "auntie, I agree with you 100% there's so much misinformation out there and I don't trust any source blindly. Here's a review of the book that the Neil A Maxwell institute published."

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:54AM

I would just ignore her. You're in a lose-lose situation, you can't change her and an argument will end in hard feelings.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 01:13PM

and clean up my page when it's filled with what I call "junk mail".
If I don't want to make it obvious that I am deleting a post, I just Hide the post.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 01:20PM

I'm kind of the FB hitman. If a friend posts something like you did and gets a response that you did, I usually get a message like, "take this bitch down please."

So, I get on and let the guns blaze.

They can hate me because I'm a stranger and they are strangers.

I really should charge money for my skillz....

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:01PM

You tell her, I know your intentions are good Auntie, but the road to Hell are paved with good intentions. Then maybe she'll think about it and shut her yap the next time she tries to impose her values and beliefs on you.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:26PM

Tell her you were sure to have a good Mormon friend black out all the parts that were true with a black permanent ink marker before reading it.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:38PM

I don't like just leaving things, because we are the ones that always shut up to keep the peace.
I would not be nice, it is my FB... I would just make a comment like: "considering BYU affiliation to the church, I am not sure your education, when it comes to this, counts for much. I would say biased at best. So yes, we disagree"

Why is her opinion or conclusions so much higher than yours? It irritates me too. My TBM sister, whom I love, always makes such remarks. Hubby and I are planning a family trip to Disneyland to take the kiddies. My brother wants to come as well for his kids, and my mom wants to come. So I extended the invitation to my TBM sister to see if she would like to plan a trip as well and we could all go together. Her response: 'we use our money wisely, not for triffle things like disneyland'.

Very rude and I bit my tongue. What I did not reply is: Yes, you give 10% to the church, I save 10% and take my kids on great holidays instead, and spend time with them. You just went on a month long trip with your children in the US and hit every 'mormom historic site', I rather spend my money in either fantasy and pretend, or actual history... but I do not meld the two together and call it factual history.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.