Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:58AM

A few weeks ago I posted a story about my BIL telling my wife that he had received inspiration that she should give me an ultimatum to either go back to church or she would divorce me.

When I posted the story, my son had told me about it. Recently, my wife decided that she should let me know what was said. She told me that she was very upset with the BIL and would support me in whatever I decided to say to him.

I have been busy at work lately, but I think I will have a chance today to call him and give him a much deserved earful. I will return and report after I get ahold of him.

We are also having a reception for my son later this week. I will be telling him he is not welcome. I will also be telling him he is not welcome at my house.

This should be fun. I have been looking forward to this call for quite some time.

For those of you that missed the original drama...

The BIL in question lived at our house for about 6 months, I paid for everything to help them out. He got his own place about a year ago. Recently he called my wife and told her about his 'revelation'. She did not believe it, but did not want me to get upset about it. She told my son and he was upset and told me. I kept it to myself waiting until my wife told me about it. Eventually she came to me and told me and also told me she would support me in whatever I deceided to say or do with him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:05PM

Just send him a message letting him know he should consider himself persona non grata in your lives from this point forward.

Posted by: Just Browaing ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:15PM

Best answer for "SO CALLED" religious people

CHRIST'S ARMS ARE WIDER THAN THE NARROWNESS OF YOUR MIND !!

Then remind him of Sunday's session where the prophet called for EVERYONE to be kind to people of all faiths, or in fact those of no faith at all.

Ask him if he "follows the grethren "

JB

Posted by: Mr. NBA ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:19PM

I would do just the opposite. Make him welcome. I would say, you have the freedom to have any opinion you want. My wife and I have no secrets. Just next time if you have something to say to me, say it to my face. My wife can make up her own mind about things. If you start drama, he will just use it to claim he is being abused by the non believer. Been there, done that. Give him no place to go. A non issue.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:24PM

magnanimous. It puts you in control if you can carry it off, and you get to show him what a healthy marriage is like. You can also laugh at him for trying such a silly little maneuver, to his face.

But cutting the ungrateful leach off works for me too.

Posted by: benben ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:42PM

I also agree with Mr. NBA with a caveat. I would not make a HUGE deal out of it with BIL. I know it is tough, oooooooh so tough, to not call him on his BS. But really, no good will come of angry confrontation.

On the other hand, calm confrontation can go a long way in exposing this guy to everyone as an a__hole. If you calmly tell him he is no longer welcome at your house and/or not to contact your family, I think that would have the stronger impact. Plus, because you are so calm about it, I would bet money he will then try to violate your wishes again...and EVERYBODY will get sick of him. Let him hang himself with his own rope if you can.

Use strong words, but keep your cool. Good luck!

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:30PM

Another idea is to invite him over and when you have a moment alone with him, tell him:

"I've had some revelations of my own..."

Then roll your eyes up into your head and start doing the "Oh God, Hear the words of my mouth..." motions and chant for 20-30 seconds.

Then put your arm to the square and tell him, "What God has joined, let no man divide asunder!"

See how that goes over :)

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:31PM

That's the best response!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:32PM

Cuz that's really sick. Please see your Bishop.

Otherwise, please explain why you need her to be divorced from me...

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:52PM

Unless BIL is DW's brother, that would be kinda gross.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:01PM

That is one of the problems here, Riverman doesn't want to ruin the relationship between the two sisters. The thing that bothers me most here is the general lack of boundries. It's people like this that will say things to your kids too.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:15PM

Mormons = lack of boundaries?

I never! :)

Seems to me like the sister might be in on it. I would NOT allow my husband to call up my siblings' spouse and say such things.

What an interesting situation...

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:29PM

The problem with sociopaths is that most people are too nice to believe that such evil people exist, therefore sociopaths keep doing exacty as they please.

If you do not confront, they take you for a chump.

I say let him have it and sever ties, you don't want this person in your life.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 02:35AM

love conquers everything including the church, Your BIL is trying to create contention and negative energy and it is not even his right to do that, stay away from him

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.