Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:28PM

This is a chapter in an online book I've found helpful and pertinent to the board discussion of sexual abuse:

http://www.hules.us/CS_ch02.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 03:29PM by robertb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 04:22PM

This one is entirely predictable; what I would like to see--because it affords a means of addressing the damage and devastating wounds therapeutically--is more on the subject of the cognitive beliefs as they operated as "survival mechanisms" for the the victims.

That's not particularly useful with offenders, however, because of the recidivism rate (I think a case can almost be made that it's problematic and slightly inhumane to lock them up and throw away the key, but it's a worse evil to let them continue their atrocities). This information was just coming out when I left the field, and what was hypothesized was that the energy from the "sexualized trauma" of the original abuse--be it physical or sexual--made the forces that drove the abuser impossible to resist...

Denial naturally arises as a survival belief to accomodate the excesses that are too big of a burden for the conscience to bear.

Addressing the "beliefs" of the victims, however, can help provide catharsis for healing and change... And that's not "recovered memory therapy."

For years I've recommended Charlotte Davis Kasl's "Women, Sex, and Addictions" on this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 04:24PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: January 18, 2011 04:53PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:

>
> Addressing the "beliefs" of the victims, however,
> can help provide catharsis for healing and
> change... And that's not "recovered memory
> therapy."
>
> For years I've recommended Charlotte Davis Kasl's
> "Women, Sex, and Addictions" on this one...

For me the issue of whether or memories are accurate or factual makes no difference in counseling. The meaning and response to them do. I can't know and don't try to determine facts, though. I assume what I am being told is sincerely held. If I were a juror, then I would have a different responsibility, but since I am not, I set the issue aside. I've pretty much gotten over feeling I need to find out or make judgments on what I can't know.

Thank you for the reference. I don't work with sexually abused women, so I don't have suggestions for books in mind. I am open to them. (I can give you a lot on combat trauma, though, but there are important differences between that type of trauma and the trauma of sexual abuse, although there are similarities as well.)

I agree that addressing cognitive issues can be very helpful using Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Another approach I have become more familiar with a sensorimotor approach to healing trauma, including sexual abuse. The basic idea is to find resolution for the unconscious remnants of physiological responses that accompanied a trauma. The little bit of it I have integrated into my work has been helpful. I can provide some titles along that line if anyone is interested.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 09:28PM by robertb.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:16PM

I first heard about the book from this board--it may even have been from you, SLCabbie--and I cannot tell you how many puzzles pieces it filled in for me! I have shared the title with others, one of whom swears it changed her life. Every woman should read this book!

And from the article robertb linked in his O.P.:

“Many sex offenders had a morally conservative upbringing and, as adults... often rejecting masturbation, premarital sex, extramarital sex, and any sexual activity except "missionary position" intercourse....

“they have more guilt, shame, fear and anxiety about sex than non-offenders....

“they believe that men and women are not equal and should not deviate from traditional social and economic roles.”

Sounds awfully familiar.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 06:52PM

“for some of these religious people all sex is sin, it’s all bad, so what the hell difference does it make what you do? Screwing mummy when she’s on birth control is just as much sin as screwing your 11-year-old daughter.”

Date: January 18, 2011 08:59PM

Mnemonic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “for some of these religious people all sex is
> sin, it’s all bad, so what the hell difference
> does it make what you do? Screwing mummy when
> she’s on birth control is just as much sin as
> screwing your 11-year-old daughter.”

The scale of values gets really skewed and religion can play a part in it. Years ago I co-facilitated a sex offender treatment group. The wife of one very religious man had a chronic illness and did not have sex with him. He molested his daughter and rationalized it by saying he molested her so he wouldn't cheat on his wife. Somehow that made sense to him.

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 06:55PM

According to society, sex offenders are pond scum worse than murderers and there is no hope for them.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:23PM

Which makes them a huge risk to vulnerable individuals and makes it reasonable for society to protect itself by isolating them or removing them completely.

Since one sexual predator is generally guilty of abusing at least 10 people before they are stopped (IF they are stopped.) we're talking about a lot of damage.

But what do you care? Just forgive society and forget about it.

Date: January 18, 2011 09:10PM

but the damage that can be done if they do re-offend makes recidivism awful. An important part is figuring out who is higher-risk for repeating and preventing it. Given the secrecy involved in offending, it isn't easy to do.

The following is a link by the American Psychological Association about improvements in treatment.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/newhope.aspx

Date: January 18, 2011 09:20PM

Because until now a bullet to the brain has really seemed like the only treatment with any effectiveness -- not that I'm advocating lawlessness. ;)

Date: January 18, 2011 09:25PM

I'm not happy with outcome, but I said my piece and I can't do anything about it. But I still would like to hurt the guy. I guess that's why we have a criminal justice system.

Date: January 18, 2011 09:28PM

I don't have to deal with it on a personal level but I know me -- I'd want to do some serious damage myself. It's a good thing I believe in rule of law. :)

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:00PM

But it's frightening, isn't it?

Posted by: formermormer ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:43PM

I am beginning to think edmarc may be involved in sexual abuse due to his comments. Quite disturbing.

Date: January 18, 2011 09:51PM

formermormer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am beginning to think edmarc may be involved in
> sexual abuse due to his comments. Quite
> disturbing.

His remarks reflect Mormon leadership and culture. When dealing with something anxiety-provoking, people tend to return to what they've been taught. I assume his comments reflect that and a lack of other education on the topic.

Growing up in Mormonism can be sexually abusive even if you've never been touched.

Posted by: puck ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:28AM

awesome link, robert. Glad to see that you're still around providing information for all.

Date: January 19, 2011 01:32AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.