Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:26PM

When I was a teenager my mom got called to be relief society president. WOW did things in our house change, and for the worse! No more time with mom cause she was too busy meeting and writing up food orders for the poor, meetings meetings meetings, people calling EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY NEEDING a favor from my mom. The only time we had with her was FHE on Monday nights and even then the phone would ring and instead of ignoring it, of course, she would answer it. She was at everybody's beckoned call except for her family! I think you can all guess where I'm going with this. And TSCC emphasizes family time??? Are you freakin kidding me?? What family time?? That was a full time job she had!

And then...years later (with all the kids out of the house) after being released she got a job in the temple cafeteria. Her hrs were ridiculous (something like 9am-6pm not getting home until 7pm) and she worked Mon-Sat having Sun and Mon off. So we NEVER saw her. Sundays were out of the question cause they had church stuff all day so for years my mother was only available on Mondays to hang out with us kids. It was horrible and I still feel resentment towards the church for hogging my mom to themselves.

Anyone else notice the demands of the church within their families?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:52PM

If I can find it, I'll post later.

"They" twisted everything I said and blamed the lack of family time on my mom's job while quoting the oh-so-beat-to-death quote from McKay:

"No success can compensate for failure in the home."

That was my first clue... and look at me now! ;)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:44PM

I'm so glad I wasn't born into a Mormon family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.