Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:43AM

4 years ago DH's crazy ass sister joined up with Primerica. For those who don't know, it is an MLM company that sells financial products and services.

A few days ago I receive a phone call from an annoyingly gung ho guy named Mark who says he got our number from crazy ass SIL, that he just moved to AZ, and his "looking to get his name out" and wants to schedule a time to meet.

Um, WTF?

After silencing his numerous harassing phone calls, I finally sent him a text saying we're not interested, I've never been interested in Primerica and have my reasons. Good luck in AZ.

His response: "**** told me you'd be a tough sell! I like your straightforward approach. Given everything you've told me, I'd still like to meet with you and your family. What days and times would work best for you?"

What the hell?

I'm really pissed because #1) SIL didn't even ask us if it was ok to give our number to this guy. #2) We've NEVER (like never, ever) been interested in Primerica and she knows it.

Over the years she's made numerous attempts to get us to join up and each and everytime we've said NO. She's tried guilt-tripping - "why wouldn't you help out family?", dangling the carrot - "oooo look at our 3000 sq ft house we just bought and our lexus! You could have it too if you join Primerica" shit like that.

Come to find out, her in-laws put the down payment on their house and co-signed on the mortgage and the lexus was repo'd 6 months ago (thank you catty, gossipy TBM in-law relatives for the inside info hehe).

I'M SICK OF THE LACK OF BOUNDARIES!

I thought I was perfectly clear...I mean how else to you turn "I'm not interested" into an opening to make an appt?

Wow. I see why RMs are good at these jobs.

I have no problem telling the Primerica guy to piss off but I'm kinda having trouble formulating the words to SIL. She is psychotic and will play the victim and probably won't even apologize if I point out she was in the wrong. She's such a bitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:49AM

Date: January 19, 2011 12:54AM

I know right! It's weird to see her keep hanging on because she KNOWS it works, while simultaneously bleeding money as a result of that very organization. Blows my mind.

Hearing her talk about Primerica is like being in F&T meeting. No joke. Makes no sense to me.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:56AM

it's not even funny.

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:59AM

and the lady standing and bearing her Mary Kay testimony actually said, "I know Mary Kay is true..."

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:47AM

Everything he says respond with "No". He'll get it and move on to more gullible pastures -- she'll probably finally give up too. :)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:50AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:39AM

Honestly, what an ass. I would be really abusive with this guy.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 06:07AM

...that it's a private cell phone number, he's using up your minutes/text allotment, and he is not permitted to contact you again.

Get angry with your sis. She is not to distribute your phone number to anyone from Primerica or any other org.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:53AM

You could always play the guy.

Next time he contacts you (there will be a next time) appear to give in reluctantly with a 'okay, as you've been SO persistent I guess it would be okay to meet".
Arrange the appointment at your Sister In Laws house 'because you'd feel more comfortable with her there'.

Then just don't go.

When SIL asks why you wasted her time, reply with 'well, you wasted mine by giving that creep my number'.

Have some fun with it!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:07AM

Just get your hubby... or another male friend, to answer the phone.

When the guy gives his spiel, he should pause a moment....

Then go in a warm voice, "What are you wearing, big fella?"

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:22AM

Get yourself registered today, and when the guy calls you again, TURN HIM IN.
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

And get caller I.D. for goodness' sake - you don't need to grab the phone every time it rings!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:00PM

+1

Date: January 20, 2011 04:49AM

Yes. I've been registered on that for awhile. But he isn't a telemarketer. He got my # from my damn SIL.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 08:38AM

and try to sell you his crap, turn him in! It's that simple.
He's a telemarketer and you CAN turn him in. If he continues you can even make a federal case out of it.

Good luck!

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:51AM

...you could take a page from the guy who stings cold callers and answer the phone as if you're a detective at the scene of your own homocide, and ask the guy why your call log shows that he's called repeatedly, which sounds pretty d*mn suspicious, then ask him if he was romantically involved with you (make sure you turn away from the phone a few times to say things like "Make you sure get a lot of pictures of the body" and "Hey, watch where you step, there's a lot of blood over there!"

Or you could tell him that you've found success with Amway or Herbalife, and you have to hang up because their delivering your brand-new Ferrari.

Not really, but it sounds like fun...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 11:58AM

...you can do what my BF's professor does with phone slaesman. Just put the kid on the phone and have him or her talk his ear off. Or talk about completely inane, inappropiate subjects like BM's or a suspicious mole.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:08PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:36PM

They will roll their eyes and wonder how you got to be so helpless in solving your own problems.

I'd respond next time with "Since you think "Not interested" is being a 'hard sell', let me put this in simple Anglo-Saxon Mormonese - F*** Off, now and forever, worlds without end. If you ever call me again, even as a wrong number, I will report you to the police, and file a complaint against you and Primerica to the state attorney general, the FTC, the FCC, Consumer Reports, and the Better Business Bureau. I'm sure they, along with the Primerica legal department, will all be willing and able to waste large amounts of your time, and teach you the meaning of 'no'."

That will take 20 seconds, and will not waste your time, nor the police department's time. In the event this doesn't work, *then*, by all means, write those letters.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:04PM

"After silencing his numerous harassing phone calls,"

If he calls numerous times, I see that as harassment and would call the police, especially if I've told him not to call again.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:12PM

Re: Haven't you heard of the National Do Not Call Registry???

Bell Telephone Company just got fined $1.5 million here for violating our Do Not Call Registry.

I would tell him the next call will result in a police report for stalking or harassment be filed and hang up abruptly.

Posted by: notyoursister ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 02:02PM

I was wondering if your sis-in-law as in my "ward", but they still live in their house and drive their crappy cars. And I'm sure it's not the former bishop's wife, cause they all still have all the same stuff. I wonder why this whole crap with the women selling primerica doesn't clue them in. I mean, if you are supposed to be blessed for having 5 kids and staying home with them, why are they working for a terrible MLM and bothering ward members?? Doesn't this directly show them it's all a scam? Especially a former bishop's family?

Posted by: notyoursister ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 02:31PM

suckafoo do you live in Lehi?

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 02:08PM

Maybe I could introduce him to my TBM Mary Kay cosmetics neighbor who won't leave me alone.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 02:28PM

Lots of good ideas for getting rid of him. If you are patient you could try my method. Next time he calls set an appointment to meet him at a resteraunt. About 5-10 minutes after the appointment is to have begun call him and apologise for running late you got stuck (make something up) and you will be there in 15 minutes. Don't forget to encourage him to get a table, maybe it will make him waste some money. See how many times he is willing to extend the meeting time before he offers to rescheduel things. see how many times he is willing to fall for the same shit before he either gives up or gets all pissed and gives up. Either way he gives up and will likely hate you and not want to speak with you. I bet you could drag the dumbass through at least 1/2 a dozen cycles before he gets it.

Posted by: none ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:17AM

I'm a Primerica rep, the company does help people. It's disappointing to hear there are reps doing the things you described. I promise you the company does not advocate such actions. This is how to put an end to your problem. Tell the rep you want their solution number and their RVPs solution number because you are going to call the company and report them to the company for harassment. I promise this will put an end to your trouble!

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:28AM

The only way I was able to shake off the Mary Kay lady was when I left the state. One time she came to the hospital where I worked and hounded me while I was stocking a crash cart. I almost changed my phone number -and I never bought much at all! If I ever see a pink Caddie in the rearview I'd probably freak and roll my car. She bragged on and on about how she'd paid her kid's college tuition in cash...Medicinal leeches are easier to remove!

Posted by: raven ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:03AM

They want you to talk. If you don't talk they can't engage you. Manners make you want to explain that you are not interested. Screw manners. Just hang up.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 09:30AM

How about this:

"when can I meet with you and your family?"

"Never. This is my last reply to you. Do not contact me again"

Then just set this person's ringtone to silent, and go about your life ignoring him with absolutely no inconvenience (other than deleting msgs, but he'll stop eventually).

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 10:10AM

I had a debt collector calling me every day for a while. I tried all the above- nothing worked, she was teflon. So I decided to have some fun and play her, like the poster above said. The next time she called I said:

I am so glad you called because I'm very forgetful and these daily calls have really helped me with my urinary tract infection. You see, whenever you call, I drink a full glass of water, not just half, but the whole glass. Do you know how important water is to the body? We are all made of water and without water, the poisons accumulate in the body and must be flushed out. The skin is an organ, did you know that? Oh, excuse me, back to my point, don't stop calling because I feel like we kind of know each other, and I really don't have any friends because I don't get out much anymore now that I'm older, and particularly with the incontinence, it's just embarrassing to have to go from bathroom to bathroom. Anyway, you are so nice to show such interest and I know we could be great friends (and I'd certainly like to meet with you) and I was wondering if I could bring my friend LaDawn Pringle, that's P R I N G L E. She is really a good friend to me and I think she would be interested in Primerica too. She has to use a van because of her wheelchair, but she isn't really stuck in the wheelchair because the state will come and pick her up and bring her to our appointment. I would love to have you come to the house here but I really can't because of my hoarding problem. It's so embarrassing to talk to but I feel like I can talk to you because you call me so often and I feel like we know each other. After all, helping a person who is sick get liquids up is a real act of caring--do you know much about chronic bladdar? If you don't, be grateful, because it is not something you want to have.....

This woman had been calling me every day for weeks. She called only one more time and I thanked her for calling and asked her to keep it up because it was helping my urethra. I never heard from her again.

If you can't act, you could said you would be happy to meet with them and give them a fictitious address. When they call you back, have no knowledge of the conversation and tell them you are having memory problems due to your new medication. When he asks what medication/what illness tell them you can't say because you haven't told the family yet. It's a real conversation stopper.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:32PM

Part of gung-ho salesmanship is to pretend a closer relationship with a friend or relative than actually exists.

The "xxxx told me you would be a hard sell." is pure baloney.

What happened was that when he sold it to SIL and hubby he asked them for names and numbers of anyone else that would possibly be interested. He pressed them just like he's pressing you. When they finally blurted out your name that was all he needed. From then on he'll act like he and SIL are in daily contact over you even though he's not spoken to her since that first time.

Use the nine magic words: "Please put us on your do-not-call list."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.