Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:23AM

I had one of my fun, crazy dreams the other day. I wonder if it means something to any of you dream analyzers.

It started with me standing on a high, snowy mountain and creating an avalanch to get quickly to the city below. (Don't know why I needed to get there quickly. Or why I didn't consider that surfing an avalanch is pretty deadly.)

Then the next part I remember is that I was trying to figure out just the right trajectory to get the Earth out of orbit to go someplace (no, it wasn't Kolob) without destabilizing the Solar System and/or destroying Earth. So I went over simulation after simulation which always ended up in disaster. In one the departure caused half the planets to fall into the sun. In another it caused Earth to fall into Jupiter.

So, don't know where I was supposed to take the Earth but, there was my crazy dream. (I have lots of weird dreams but I enjoy them.) Any ideas on what I was really dreaming about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:25AM

Date: January 19, 2011 01:40AM

My vivid and strange dreams are just one more reason to love it, I think. Without science fiction I'm sure I'd never have dreamed I was living on the surface of the sun (in a tin shack, no less) or running around on ice (methane, maybe?) floes on Jupiter. :)

I was thinking more of the elements of the dream. Obviously I was dreaming of getting somewhere and apparently through drastic means -- just don't know how that would relate to my life. I just can't think of anywhere I really need to be.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:42AM

Date: January 19, 2011 01:43AM

Date: January 19, 2011 01:46AM

Especially when I'm jumping up and down to show her the new Thor trailer.

Date: January 19, 2011 01:49AM

And he totally wasn't compensating for anything with that hammer.

So, does the movie look good?

I was a comic book collector for most of my teens and twenties and don't really like most of the comic to movies shows -- it's hard for me to ignore all the comic lore they ususally trash. :)

Date: January 19, 2011 01:58AM

Kenneth braughnah (too lazy to check spelling right now) is directing. He's the most critically acclaimed Shakespearean film director out there. The trailer looks great. Costumes, sets, everyhing is lining up nicely. It would be an unfortunate surprise if it didn't turn out fantastic.

Date: January 19, 2011 02:07AM

So I'll be sure to see it when it comes out! (Otherwise I couldn't get on base and watch it at an affordable price.)

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 02:13AM

Or how decisions affect them.

Were you on this board before dreaming?

Date: January 19, 2011 02:17AM

But I've never been a Mormon. Just an Aspie with obsessions. :)

And yes, I was have crazy dreams long before this board. Usually I can point to something in my life and say "Oh, this is what I'm working through." but not with this one.

I can promise you all, though, that I'm taking extreme care not to destroy the solar system with my departure. lol

Date: January 19, 2011 02:49AM

What's an Aspie?

So your obsessed with the exmo board or Mo's?

You exited something....is this affecting someone or are your dreams the manifestation of your fears?

Posted by: me ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 07:30AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

If you think those dreams are significant, perhaps they are.

Avalanche--- evidence against Mormonism. City-- SLC. Riding the avalanche-- desire to be a hero.

Desire to get the Earth out of orbit, and nothing works right--- the impossibility of doing the above (particularly alone).

Now, that is MY interpretation from MY POV. Your mileage may vary, depending on how different from me you may be.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:22AM

Not the Salt Lake City part -- never even been there -- but it kind of fits that I'd like to "save" all those being hurt, not just by Mormonism but by religion in general. I've always had a religion obsession and I just kind of go from one to another. Haven't found one yet that can't be and hasn't been abused by those who like to do such things.

Thanks, me!

Date: January 19, 2011 11:06AM

It's a form of autism.

I got obsessed with Mormonism, ended up here and stay here because I like it here.

And the dream wasn't fearful, although there was a sense of urgency and a sense of frustration now that you mention it. :)

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:09AM

I was going back and forth between two cityscapes, but I also recently watched something with city views, even though they were not the same. Usually that is my first explanation for my dreams - something I saw or heard. Sometimes my dreams relate to my health - typically I am trying to kill something in my dream - this only happens when I am sick with a virus, and they repulse me, because I am not violent. Maybe your dream is something coming up. Personally, when I have precognitive dreams they are usually warning of something negative. That is why my dream was fun, because it was of my exterior environment, not interior. Whenever I dream of the inside of a building, for some reason, that means trouble.

Maybe your brain was symbolically editing posts for RfM?

Date: January 19, 2011 11:24AM

Mostly my dreams seem to be how I process my emotions. If I'm stressed I tend to have a lot of running and hiding type dreams. If an abusive person appears in my life I tend to have violation dreams. That sort of thing.

Precog dreams sound pretty cool though.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:23AM

Dreams incorporate images from our surroundings that leak into our dreams. But the way they are arranged (or chosen for the dream imagery) has to do with the person dreaming, which is why the interpretation is very specific to the individual. In psychology the theory is that not only does the dream tell a story with personal meaning, but each symbol represents a part of the self.

So in your dream Rebeckah, each symbol is a part of your "self." A part of you is the high mountain, the avanlanche, the city, the solar system, the earth, Jupiter. Only you know what that means to you personally to be a mountain, an avalanche, a city, a solar system, the earth, Jupiter, etc.

Overall, though, those parts of your "self" are trying to play their role, keep a balance and stay integrated.

Beyond that the symbols interplaying together in the dream have a second layer of meaning--the story, the message, what the message means to you personally. What are you trying to balance or do that you fear will end in disaster for one or another part of your solar system? For the solar system of your "self" or for the solar system of your family or friends?

I had a cool dream like this when I was struggling with doubt about the church. In my dream I looked up to the sky at night and the full moon was enormous. Huge. As big as a house. But it had a ring around it. And I keep questioning "why does the moon have a ring around it?" I couldn't figure out what was going on with the ring around the moon. Then in a subtle shift I saw and realized it was Saturn. It was not the moon. It had been Saturn all along.

What that dream taught me immediately upon awakening is that we see what we expect or believe. When I look up to the sky, I expect to see the moon even when it should be obvious that it's Saturn. I realized the dream was telling me that with the church I saw what I expected or believed--I saw the evidence that would support it being true. As soon as I'm willing to see without expectations, then I would see what's really there.

I later found a quote from Einstein that says "What we believe determines what we're able to observe." Also quoted as "It's the theory that determines what we're able to observe."

Anyway, I love those cosmology dreams. Figure out what it means to you and please return and report.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:26AM

Being parts of my "self" makes sense, though. Hmmm, that will require some thought.

Thanks!

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:44AM

To put it simply every bit of those attempts of trying to move yourself in different directions with and on the earth, is yourself trying to control the different situations you struggle with through over analyzing things in your own mind on a daily basis. It helps you to feel comfortable and at ease, feeling a sense that you have some control over yourself through these images of self reliance and controlling objects out of your own self.

I used to work with aspergers kids for a few years and i know exactly how their brain and behaviors work. I understand how tough it is for them to cope with different situations in their daily environments even at the intelligence scales they're at. I applaud you for working so hard to come this far in self reliance and you really should be proud of your own efforts and achievements.

I also wanted to add, take it easy, not everything is meant to be figured out, but just needs to be experienced and appreciated for what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 08:55AM by experienceheals.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:58AM

That is so rude, experienceheals. People with Asperger's don't have different "intelligence scales". I doubt you have any idea how her brain or behavoirs work. From what she posted, she's probably more intelligent than either or us.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:40AM

It can really make life hard because people expect "smart" people to understand social nuances -- Einstein just wasn't enough of an example of the fact that some "smart" people are socially inept. :D

Thank you, though.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:41PM

Exactly my point. Thankyou for confirming what i said to someone who was too quick to not listen and fully understand. I made myself perfectly clear. I guess not clear enough to sexismyreligion who's quick on the finger but slow to think before speaking. Sorry s i m r, but you're the one who's rude for trying to rip on me for having some experience and insight while just helping.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:12AM

He knows exactly how everything works in this universe.

He is here to teach of experience and how it heals:)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 11:28AM

I don't consider dream interpetation to have strict rules. I think it's a combination of concious and unconcious experiences in relation to your personal interpetation, but here are some dream archetype definitions:

Snow on moutains- forecasts good news

Avalanche- either a change of plans/surroundings, especially if people were buried in it. (You didn't mention you were buried in it, whick would mean a stroke of good luck.)

Planets- Other planets suggest a strong desire for adventure/change from your present routine which you would feel unwise. Maybe resolve the conflict with a new recreactional interest as an outlet?

Repetition suggests frustration

I don't know if this helps you. I use my dreams as a tool to understand possible motives/desires/frustartions I'm hiding or denying myself.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:46AM

I don't have a dream symbology book -- maybe I should invest in one because it's kind of fun looking at them from another viewpoint.

I think the repetition was more of a learning curve thing.

I'm going to have to consider whether I'm leaning towards expanding my horizons. I might just be ready for that.

I got on SSI because I just can't deal with a work environment with my social issues about two years ago. At that time I was seriously depressed and fairly traumatized from 20+ years of trying and failing to function in the work world. I'm wondering if this is my way of telling myself it's time to get back out in the big unknown but be prepared to keep trying as I learn the best path for me to take. hmmmm...

Thank you all for your insights! This has been quite enjoyable. :D

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 11:49AM

You can find them for a decent price at used book stores. I would check the introduction, however, because if you get a Freudian dream-interp book, it will tell you everything is related to sex. I prefer the Jungian dream-interp.

"Sometimes a pickle in a donut is just a pickle in a donut." :)

Date: January 19, 2011 11:53AM

But yes, especially with me a cigar is usually just a cigar. :)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 12:01PM

It sounds a little like a short story by Edmond Hamilton. I can't think of the title, but it's the last in a collection of his short stories. It's in the far future and humanity has settled all the planets of the solar system. The sun is set to explode, so they release all the planets to be flung out into deep space. I read it about 20 years ago so the details are murky, but it's a good story.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:27PM

which had the "Spindizzy" drive that first hurtled cities like New York through the stars and then actually moved planets. (The larger the mass the faster it traveled.) Oh, and they had longevity drugs and the field conveniently created a sunlike emission and kept in warmth and atmosphere. :)

Haven't read the one by Hamilton. I'll look for it.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:41PM

Good books! Edmond Hamilton is one of my favorite scifi authors. He was really creative. Some of his stuff is online. He was married to Leigh Brackett, who wrote the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back.

Date: January 19, 2011 12:44PM

It was about life on a neutron star -- lots of science in an easily digestible format. I love that kind of science. :D

Date: January 19, 2011 12:47PM

For hard scifi I like Larry Niven's Ringworld. He puts a wacky spin on science, and the characters are always getting broadsided by chain reactions they innocently set in motion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.