Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:01PM

Don't know if you've seen this, but it's worth a read:

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/23966/#425021

Interesting perspectives. We're getting some support and we're also getting some criticism, mostly for not archiving posts and having a few navigation issues.

Just wanted to add my thanks and congrats to the Admin team. Now that the Expand feature seems to be fixed, I can quickly and easily browse through entire threads. And unlike PostMo, I don't have to sort through people's cutesy avatars, their huge expanses quotes from previous posters, and all those dreary quotation tags people use over there to position themselves. Not my cup of tea, although I did enjoy visiting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:07PM

Personally, I much prefer a clean board without the dozens of features and silly avatars, etc., to distract from the messages.
Too much stuff to wade through.
Keep it simple and clean! So much nicer.
Looks like the 90's? OK. Fine with me!Those were good years! :-)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 02:51AM

Greyfort - A lot of people have had a hard time with this board because of some of the nasty folks we have here, but still need support, etc. I've personally known a recent exmo (well, recent back then at least), and heard of others, who were quite upset after posting on this board and ran away to a nicer pasture.

While posting here requires a lot thicker of skin than in other places, there are a lot of good things here. I personally like the oft times filterless discussion, and rp is pretty awesome too.

In any case, that could be one of the reasons you are seeing some of these feelings between boards.

Edit: oops, looks like I'm figuring the new system out too, and I replied to the wrong person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 02:52AM by snb.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:15PM

I have a really hard time understanding the rivalry that seems to exist amongst some of the ex-Mo groups.

I'd have thought we were all in this together.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:00PM

Agreed, excellent post. Thanks

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:55AM

exactly, i don't get it. work together, not against each other..

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:27PM

I particularly noticed "Dahli Mama," and I would be remiss if I failed to thank her.

Two regulars over there got their "start" at RFM, Grape Nephi and MishMagnet, and I'm still friendly with both. Grape is a solid academic sort, and the rough-and-tumble stuff here--complete with trolls that ADMIN works hard to delete and trollish sorts that make it hard to tell the difference--doesn't sit well with him.

In the larger sense, though, the criticism mirrors much of the dissension here, and while I can probably be as cantankerous as any, I work hard to take responsibility for my views and triple check my facts.

I also refuse to "caretake" those who post disagreements or to support those who holler about all the disruption, so long as it is legitimate and not manufactured drama.

It was, afterall, disagreements that spurred us to learn the truth about the LDS Church...

That said, I park my taxi strictly at RFM, and I think the PostMo software said it all when it identified Richard Packham as a "newbie."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 08:27PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:32PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:37PM

I found postmormon.org relies to much on image for my taste. Those nice photos they show of all those happy people are not exmormons, they are models. Sorry, but that sort of image game is too reminiscent of the way TSCC works for me. They say they can not afford professional quality pictures, so what? What is so important about image that it has to trump reality? They have plenty enough people over there that they could have a photo contest and should be able to get reasonable pictures of REAL exmormons and not have to present themselves as something they are not.

But, the people over there like that sort of stuff and it seems important to them, so I say, let them have it. They can have their image, I'll hang here with the real people.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:16PM

Not only do we like the clean format, there are folks that have slow connections, older computers, have to pay per minute, are using mobile devices. I get a laugh out of people thinking that dates this ware. Nooo, the ware is new, it was a choice. Keep it clean, keep it fast as possible for everyone :)

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:55AM

Posted by: Guatemango Verde ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:45AM

Nice feature including the "auto n/t." I had placed "n/t" in my original reply and saw the board automatically placed it again... so I just had to try it out again by writing something in the box. That kind of feature is much more conducive to a favorable board experience than seeing people's avatars.

Posted by: testiphony ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:34AM

Thanks Susan, you are quite right. But then again, my U/Is are often very spartan compared to most of the fluff you see. I like function and efficiency myself.

Thanks for the effort, and all the time in care and feeding.

I saw the post you made, that seemed to disappear so quickly. I don't have the words, but I hope peace finds you sooner; to repay your efforts to help the recovering masses. I hope you know what I mean and what I am trying to say. Thanks again.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:53AM

"This page is loading. Please wait ...."

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:28AM

I enjoy their format, but there is no place like home.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 03:17AM

I had a little glitch with re-registering but take responsibility for that as I'd been posting unregistered for so long that I'd forgotten my original password. However, I am also registered as Briggy on the other board but find this one simpler, less showy and although gritty and sometimes a little confrontational, one can choose whether or not to engage. I have ownership of my choices and views and welcome an opportunity to share them, whether or not they are panned doesn't matter. Debate is often lively and I've had so much fun here that I hope it continues.

Flatlander's comment about comfy clothes resounds with me. I learned to type on an Underwood/Olympia metal clunker, then progressed to using electric, then electronic, then wordprocessors, then computers. I remember with great affection making 50 copies of a document on wax stencils, only to have a need to re-make the whole sheet when the ink roller on the Gestetner destroyed the stencil.

This site brings me to a comfy place, without ads, clutter and fancy singing and dancing avatars.

After all, it is the words with which we express ourselves that really matter. That is where true expression of self lies.

I am grateful for all the hard work done by the RfM admin crew. They truly provide a fantastic service. They rarely ask for donations so I'm sure someone is out of pocket to keep this site running so well. Not to mention the time and dedication involved in keeping RfM up there where it matters.

Thank you all Sue, Eric et al. I missed you enormously, welcome back!

Briggy

Posted by: butterfly ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:21AM

As someone who almost exclusivly views this on my phone I am so grateful for the simpler view.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:20PM

Sometimes you can put an "m" in front of the address to get the mobile version, like:

http://m.engadget.com
http://m.cnn.com
http://m.digg.com
http://m.facebook.com

I do that to access websites even on my desktop computer, because it really speeds things up. There is unbelievable bloat in some websites these days, and I'm not sure why it's desirable.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 09:56PM

I like PostMo, it's a great site.

But it is not without problems.

Kinder, gentler? I have seen blatant censorship on PostMo, perpetrated by ideologue members who could not stand to see free expression of ideas they disagreed with. These types can harass with the best of them. I have seen people driven away from that site by hostiles, just like here at rfm. And no, the admin there did nothing to stop this from happening, and in at least one case I witnessed, actually assisted in the gang lynch. And no, they were not driving away proMo trolls, just other exmos they disagreed with about history or current events.

But yeah, it's a great site I love and endorse, and we should all support each other.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:42AM

. . . to hijack threads by converting them into pseudo-discussions about feline urinary tract infections.

Seriously.

We're not talking rocket scientists over there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.