Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:36PM

And there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

This was a woman who had nothing but love. She had worked for a community organization that solicits money for non-profits and writes grants, for over 20 years. She always smiled. She fought for the underdog. We'd rented extra chairs for the service but it was still standing room only and we had to let people park on the grass. She was so admired in our community.

She was a founding member of our UU church but was a practicing Wiccan. She was a witch and proud of it and loved Mother Earth and the spirituality surrounding it.

She had asked that a medely of Wizard of Oz songs be played. She loved that show. When the pianist started playing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead," everyone was laughing and crying and the sniffles got louder and the smiles got bigger. We all knew it was exactly what Vicki would want. It ended with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and we all lost it. They closed the service by calling the quarters - a very Pagan ritual and it was one of the most spiritual moments of my life.

What a contrast to Mormon funerals. This really felt like a celebration of a beautiful life. It felt like we all knew she was immortal because her love and legacy would live on. We went away just feeling like, "Wow, I knew that person!" Instead of the pathetic rituals with the temple clothes and boring drawn out songs and preaching about the afterlife and little about what a wonderful person has left our midst.

Every UU memorial service I've been to has been a cremation. Doesn't have to be, just has. We have a memory garden and many incredible people have had some of their ashes spread there. I've informed my kids that they are to spread some of mine there so that they can honestly tell my grandkids I've gone to live with the angels. If I ever have to go to a Mormon funeral again, I just hope I have plenty of anti-nausea medication to get me through it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:43PM

That sounds truly wonderful and uplifting.

Date: January 19, 2011 06:02PM

...that if my kids request "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" at my memorial service (which I have often said they would), that it is not to be played. Wouldn't quite have the same meaning.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:25AM

that there was a widespread office joke: that when this horrible old bag finally kicked the bucket, we would all join hands and dance around her casket at the funeral, singing that song.

Unfortunately, by the time she finally did shuffle off the mortal coil, many of us had retired and moved away.

One of my best friends didn't even know until she and her husband were visiting with us on vacation, and I told her, over supper. Very softly (as we were in an elegant restaurant) my friend began singing, "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead." I started giggling helplessly, and then both of us laughed until we had tears running down our faces. Our husbands both looked at us like we had lost our minds. But it was an incredibly cathartic moment.

That woman was one of the most toxic humans I have ever known, and my friend and I had both suffered PLENTY on the job because of her.

It was good to realize that we had the last laugh after all.

(Decidedly a different spin than the original post, which I thought was marvelous, but I wanted to share it anyway.)

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:37AM

The version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" sung by Johnny Mathis and Ray Charles always makes me cry. Ray Charles liked it so much he asked for it to be played at his memorial service.

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:46AM

One version played by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"

This guy's voice is like the best, I love his voice... :)

Date: January 20, 2011 01:14PM

I've considered putting down in my wishes that I'd like it played. Especially if for some reason I went before my parents. It would be like a little concession for them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.