Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dot ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 03:02PM

This is part of a survey I filled out for the local deseret book store. I thought I'd skew their results a little, being an ex-mo and all ;-P

12. I love to shop at Deseret Book (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer: 2 (like it only for the food storage. I've gone twice in my married life without an income for 10 months...not fun. So I still do food storage)

13. I am highly involved in church meetings and activities (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer:1 (cut them out completely 1.5 years ago. Got waaay more time now.)

14. I really love spending time reading the scriptures (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer:1 (that's crazy-making stuff)

15. I can afford to treat myself to little luxuries (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer: 6 (yes, I can, now that I don't pay tithing)

16. I never have the leisure time to do the things I want to do (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer: 2 (Now that I don't read scriptures or attend meetings I do have leisure time - it's only limited by kids, or TBM spouse attending all those damn meetings - take a wild guess who's left with the kids...)

17. I am learning how to turn to the Lord to find answers to my daily challenges (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer:1 (nope, didn't work all that well in the past, decided to give it up and I feel much better about my decisions now. I still may second guess them, but it's better than second guessing myself, and god, and my standing with him, my faithfulness, etc. Besides, it's crazy-making to do something over and over with bad results, but then do it some more and expect better results.)

18. When I am overwhelmed and stressed I love to escape to a good novel (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer:1 (not overwhelmed or stressed as much being out of the church. When I am, I escape to RfM! Here I get laughs, info, help, instead of the same "pay, pray, obey". Plus, I don't have to question my standing before God continually - talk about making oneself insecure!)

19. I struggle with feeling really loved (Rate yourself with 1 = Strongly Disagree and 7 = Strongly Agree)

answer: 1 (not struggling with that at all now because I'm not trying to get approval from invisible sky daddy who may or may not be there. I'm not trying to figure out if I'm faithful enough for the miracle I desire to come about, etc. [All those blessings are predicated on obedience and faith.] I'm good enough on my own now! Isn't that an amazing discovery?

All in all, I think the survey gives insight into the struggles that mormons are facing. Stressed with callings, lack of time, lack of money, overwhelmed, not feeling loved.

I wish TBM's could realize that their problems actually stem from their belief and involvement in the church! Once I left that environment, I didn't have those problems anymore. Hallelujah! To be blunt: God, it's good to be out of god's church!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.