Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:08PM

A friend Facebooked me about a poll on the channel 4 news in Salt Lake City re: Packer's statement at Conference about homosexuality. If you want to agree or disagree with what he said, the poll is still open. Scroll down to the bottom, right-hand corner of the page.

http://www.abc4.com/default.aspx

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:15PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:22PM

It was disappointing to see 55% in favor of Packer's remarks.

Date: October 04, 2010 08:33PM

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:46PM

It's rote, knee-jerk "obedience." If a GA told them to stand in the street naked they'd do it.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:48PM

52.9 to 47.1 in favor.

Posted by: everyday ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:11PM

The poll is to simplistic, I am not in favor of same sex marriage, but I do not think his comments are helpful and will further polorize the issue. Elder Packer's opinions are his own. Im not bound by them. Im a church going mormon but dont take whatever the chruch leaders say as the end all be all.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:21PM

Why are you not in favor of gay marriage? What gives you the right to tell others how to live their lives?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:27PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:33PM

I voted no...twice. Hey, if you can do it in Chicago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 09:52PM by D. P. Gumby.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:39PM

46% to 53% 53% AGAINST!! YAHOO! And 'Everyday'you may not be bound by what Packer etc. say but 99% of Mormons are. I was lds 57 years and I know exactly what goes on in the church. It's do what the leaders say or suffer the consquences.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:45PM

Posted the poll about half an hour ago on Pharyngula. Bringing in the big guns.

Some of the comments associated with the story on ABC4 are distressing awful. For example:
"How dare you people. This conference was to advise us the desires of our heavenly father in these latter days. Conference is a special and sacred time each year for us. Just because some do not agree... We have the right to freedom of religion. In the bible it clearly states that it is an abomination to God for a man to lie with another. I think it is disgusting, immoral, a lack of self control, lustful, and horrific. Do what you want but we are allowed to feel the way we want to. Don't listen if you don't agree don't protest and make a spectacle of yourselves and no one will involve themselves in your political crap. sheesh!!"

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:49PM

In the previous post "distressing awful" should be "distressingly awful" -- arrrgghh. How distressingly awful. I think I may have caught grammar and spelling error cooties from reading the comments on ABC4.

Is there a rule in Utah that mormons should use "then" when they mean "than" -- irritating. At least the comments with those kind of errors can still be read and understood. It's the comments that sound like word salad that leave me shaking my head.

Date: October 04, 2010 10:30PM

against another group in society - that's freedom of speech. And yes, that's what gives people like the KKK and others the right to say stuff the majority find appalling. However, to say that their hate speech is simply innocent freedom of religion is another things entirely. You can be whatever religion you want - believe what you want - but you have to accept the consequences of your words, attitudes and actions. The consequences are often that good people will object to you. That good people will take a stand against you. People will not shut up and let you say whatever you want - they will answer back and if a religious person can't deal with it, they should be the ones to shut up.

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:05PM

54% against!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.