Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 07:15PM

Sometimes I start watching those mission call letter opening rituals on YouTube. I guess it's kind of like train wreck that's hard to turn away from. And it's just like a creepy movie that you watch for the horror effect.

But I noticed something the last time I did that. I never saw one kid get a call to the Philippines. Back in the 90s it seemed like one in every two kids went there and you'd hear about them baptizing 50 people. Have they closed some of those missions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 08:04PM

If you can believe their numbers (not likely)then they opened 4 new missions in the philippines in response to all the new misheys.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 08:23PM

My niece just went to the Philippines on a mission a month ago. I couldn't tell you which mission but it was definitely the Philippines.

Posted by: strappy ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 01:05AM

I live in Cebu City, Philippines. Cebu City is the 2nd largest city in the country after Manila. Seems there is no shortage of missionaries here. There is a temple also, so perhaps that goes hand in hand...just like the missionaries.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 01:58AM

The country has an MTC. It seems that the country supplies its own missionaries who replace their U.S. counterparts.

Most of the YouTubers that post videos of opening mission calls are usually NOT from that country.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 08:50AM

They are trying to phase-out the Americans. They are using more and more locals. They're also sending lots more polynesians.

There's still lots of Americans going though. I've been told about several kids from my area going to the Philippines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2013 08:50AM by slimchance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.