Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:27AM

I have a problem with company politics where the board of directors favors a privileged few, such as, corporate executives with excessive compensation packages of perks, bonuses, stock options & wages, while ignoring and exploiting the hard working minions by compensating them a pittance.

It’s an insult to get a turkey as an extra during the holidays while administrators get five & six figure bonuses and other perks. Some executives insincerely pat lower level, educated, hardworking employees on the back, placating them that they are vital and important as the backbone of the organization because they deal with the customer, yet compensation is only a trifle. It seems like all that subordinates get is reduced wages and lip service from the big shots as larger quarterly profits come rolling in. If the various roles employees fulfill are so essential, then why don’t executives significantly reward ALL of its contributing and performing members in line with the successes of their organization instead of exploiting them? Based on results, capitalism and the so-called trickle down effect in this country don’t work and have gone severely awry! It would be nice if the golden rule prevailed in business practices, work performance and compensation – I’m not going to hold my breath, what’s a minion going to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:00AM

They probably put up with their working situations because they think, like the sign I saw in the Mesa beehive clothing store, "the benefits are heavenly".

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:38PM

. . . for the people who are becoming rich because of the workers' pittances.

Great double meaning. Wonder who thought it up--it would make a great motto for the whole corporation.

And a riff: "The prophets/profits are heavenly."

Sheesh.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:17AM

Hmm . . . well, openeyes--I can't speak to what the Morg do, but I'm Catholic and work for the church and can give you some insight into how that works.

Priests, including Bishops, etc., do not earn salaries, they get a stipend. Each Bishop, Archbishop, Cardinal or Priest within a Diocese earns the exact same stipend, though the stipend may vary from Diocese to Diocese. The stipend just about covers clothing, expenses and an annual vacation. The parish or Diocese provides housing (and in the case of Bishops and Cardinals, office and staff) and there is usually a car allowance. Their Diocese covers their insurance through employee benefits. If a priest owns an expensive or fancy car--it was usually a gift from a parent or from a friend or parishioner (or in the case of a Cardinal, again the car and driver are provided by the Diocese).

For those of us who work for the church, there is Diocesan policy, which I can tell you from experience follows federal standards and practices to the letter. Each individual parish has discretion to some point, and salaries and benefits are generally comensurate with education and work experience and much lower than private sector: in other words, we do it because we like it and want to, not because we are ambitious in our career goals. If parishioners are not happy with your work, the pastor and the Parish Council will hear about it--no job is guarranteed! "We want to take the program in a different direction . . ," means you aren't performing the way you were hired to.

Bonus? What's that? But people do give us gifts--in the form of flowers, plants, food, small gift cards, etc., and those are much appreciated!

But guess what? We are human beings and offices politics? We got 'em. And gossip. And behind the back, under the breath snide remarks, the whole bit. You would think we would do better, being a Christian organization, but we don't.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:21AM

Who buys the booze? ;)

Ron

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:09PM

Seriously, if the diocese is paying for housing, insurance, vacations, food and booze, what else is there? Sounds to me like a salary just like the rest of us.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:32AM

Don’t tell the other minions!

Because you are RIGHT.

“placating them that they are vital and important as the backbone of the organization… yet compensation is only a trifle” Yes. Keep the minions happy.

So what’s a minion to do, when the power is all on the side of the privileged few? --That gets into politics, a no-no topic on RfM. So I will stop at acknowledging your point.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:03PM

Some people aren't bright enough to see it happening. At my work place there are people who suck up the praise as they receive their little certificates. I see the insincerity. The schmoozing and brown nosing, all the while the joke is on them. Someone can be college educated yet stupid at the same time. Its nature's little joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 06:03PM by suckafoo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.