Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:28PM

President Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was en route from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City, Utah after giving a rousing speech on missionary work to a tri-regional conference of devote members of his church. He felt the spirit so strong as he admonished the members of the congregation to get out the vote and add members to the LDS Church.

He had a nice cushy first class seat and was enjoying a diet Coke in First Class when he saw that the stewards on the flight were looking suddenly nervous.

"Brother Tanbomb.." Monson asked his body guard who was with him, "could you see what the problem is?"

Brother Tanbomb got out of his seat and asked the steward what the problem was, and then turned ashen. He came back and sat back down next to Monson.

"Currently the plane is on auto pilot, however, the Captain and the first mate have passed out. The steward is trying to figure out what they are going to do."

"Wow. That sounds very serious. I hope that they can find someone who can land this plane. Where are we now?" Monson asked nervously.

"Probably from the amount of time we have been in the air, somewhere near Las Vegas." Brother Tanbomb said.

Suddenly, a stewardess entered from the 2nd Class section and approached them.

"Mr. Monson, we are not able to find any pilots who can land this plan, however, a couple a members in the back said that possibly...you could do it."

"WHAT?" Monson choked, "I've never flown a plane in my life...you have more experience than I DO!"

"The member said that recently at your last General Conference, where you are sustained as a Prophet of God, that one of the fundamentals is that you can speak or be experienced on anything whether you have any training or not. And frankly right now we are desperate." the stewardess said.

"Where in the world did they get the idea that I could land or fly a plane?" Monson nervously asked, starting to panic himself.

"I think that the members were referring to the 14 Fundamentals of Following the Prophet by Ezra Taft Benson. It was read at last conference." Brother Tanbomb said helpfully.

"OH THAT!!!" Monson said stopping himself from swearing. "That must have been while I was dozing."

"So can you fly and land this thing?" the stewardess asked with increasing anxiety.

"Well, either I am a prophet of God and the fundamentals are true, and I can be an expert on any subject out there with God's help, or I am not."

And that's how Boyd K. Packer became the next president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 09:30PM by Primus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 04, 2010 10:18PM

Date: October 05, 2010 02:13PM

because I am an ego maniac.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:55PM

A funny & apropos ending, as well!

(BTW, was Bishop Rood anywhere? The member-passenger in the back of the plane who suggested Monson could fly the plane, perhaps?)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:57PM

I just do.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 02:21PM

Monson was able to fly the plane - straight to the scene of the crash.

Ziller

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 12:19PM

That's one of my favorite Ron White stand-up routines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC0yfREBxWw

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 02:24PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 12:10PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 12:19PM

LOL!

Genius.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.