Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:36PM

Why did you choose it?

So... mines mostly obvious, a play on Cleopatra's, Queen of the Nile. I'm constantly flabbergasted that I continued to go to church for as long as I did, even after I abandoned tithing, temple and garmies. Yep. Almost 10 years of denial.

Sadly, I'm not that creative and I stole it from a song.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:38PM

"Ron's not a Mormon anymore". ;)

Ron

Date: January 20, 2011 12:59PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:15PM

Bwahahahahaha! I'm a simple man with many layers.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:38PM

Mine is a name scramble, and the Indian DNA thing was the first thing that made me go, "Holy shit, that isn't what they told me!" thing.

(Edit spelling, because I like to proof read about ten minutes after I post, not just before posting)
(And another edit to edit the edit, and it was only a one sentence post!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 01:29PM by DNA.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:03PM

I get ya. I feel like I'm constantly editing my grammar and spelling mistakes. I need a proofreader.

BTW... check out "becasue"

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:39PM

I'm the best around

Nothing's ever gonna get me down

I'm the best around

Nothing's gonna get me doooooooooooowwwwwwwn!

Date: January 20, 2011 12:40PM

I just got reamed for asking a question on another thread and I need a boost. ; )

(Edited for clarification)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 12:46PM by Queen of Denial.

Date: January 20, 2011 12:59PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:00PM

I saw that and was like, "say whaaaaaaaaaat?"

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:42PM

Did it actually say something?

Timothy

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:53PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:57PM

Date: January 20, 2011 02:04PM

... UCLA.

When said organ "expands" as it were, the tat reads "UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES"

Three inch bold letters too!

Only chicks and GayLayAle get to call me "Timmy"

Timothy

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:46PM

A garden veggie with a catchy name.
I should get a better one, because a lot of IRL people know it.

Date: January 20, 2011 12:47PM

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:48PM

see: Book of Zelph

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:50PM

Well, I used to be Tossdoubt, because I was dis fellowshipped for smoking pot. I felt I "had" to tell the bishop. Now I realized about two months ago that I had been on this board nearly ten years, and it was time to reclassify myself to more reflect what I've learned in that time, hence foundoubt.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:51PM

I chose mine because it was one of those last straw moments for my wife- It's a sermon from Brigham Young on the error of loving family or mourning the death of a child, until they are perfect in the church.

Ah, what the heck- here's the whole thing. Paragraph three offends my wife at the very deepest level.

Elders, never love your wives one hair's breadth further than they adorn the Gospel, never love them so but that you can leave them at a moment's warning without shedding a tear. Should you love a child any more than this? No. Here are Apostles and Prophets who are destined to be exalted with the Gods, to become rulers in the kingdom of our Father, to become equal with the Father and the Son, and will you let your affections be unduly placed on anything this side that kingdom and glory? If you do, you disgrace your calling and Priesthood. The very moment that persons in this Church suffer their affections to be immoderately placed upon an object this side the celestial kingdom, they disgrace their profession and calling. When you love your wives and children, are fond of your horses, your carriages, your fine houses, your goods and chattels, or anything of an earthly nature, before your affections become too strong, wait until you and your family are sealed up unto eternal lives, and you know they are yours from that time henceforth and for ever.

I will now ask the sisters, do you believe that you are worthy of any greater love than you bestow upon your children? Do you believe that you should be beloved by your husbands and parents any further than you acknowledge and practise the principle of eternal lives? Every person who understands this principle would answer in a moment, "Let no being's affections be placed upon me any further than mine are on eternal principles-principles that are calculated to endure and exalt me, and bring me up to be an heir of God and a joint heir with Jesus Christ." This is what every person who has a correct understanding would say.

Owing to the weaknesses of human nature you often see a mother mourn upon the death of her child, the tears of bitterness are found upon her cheeks, her pillow is wet with the dews of sorrow, anguish, and mourning for her child, and she exclaims, "O that my infant were restored to me," and weeps day and night. To me such conduct is unwise, for until that child returned to its Father, was it worthy of your fullest love? No, for it was imperfect, but now it is secure in the bosom of the Father, to dwell there to all eternity; now it is in a condition where it is worthy of your perfect love, and your anxiety and effort should be that you may enter at the same gate to immortality.

When the wife secures to herself a glorious resurrection, she is worthy of the full measure of the love of the faithful husband, but never before. And when a man has passed through the vail, and secured to himself an eternal exaltation, he is then worthy of the love of his wife and children, and not until then, unless he has received the promise of and is sealed up unto eternal lives. Then he may be an object fully worthy of their affections and love on the earth, and not before.

Journal of Discourses Vol.3:360
Brigham Young

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:24PM

If something else hadn't already been. I'd never seen this quote. Blows my freakin mind.

Date: January 20, 2011 12:51PM

i am a nevermo...and i am Big!! :0........... 6'5" 230 lbs

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:56PM

when I told him my college major was going to be international studies. He said "what are you going to do with that, be a spy? You could be Bond, Jane Bond 462!"

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:57PM

Mine's Gaelic for "brightness" or "shining bright" (it's pronounced *SorrKah*, if anybody's interested). After years of being a Morgbot in darkness, I hope the light of truth can now shine in me.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:13PM

where are ya Puck??/

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:02PM

Mine is the name of something from the stories I write.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:10PM

Itzpapalotl is a minor Aztec fire goddess. It means obsidian (or clawed) butterfly. It's thought literally be a bat.

I'm a nerd for mythology and didn't feel like using a Classical goddess name.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:16PM

That's one bad-a** butterfly.

Timothy

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:16PM

I was going to be funny and start posting as Towell Backman but my iPhone changed it to Rowell back and I didn't notice before I hit submit.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:19PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:20PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:21PM

Thanks!

Timothy

Posted by: unworthy ( )

I was told I was "unworthy" to to be a mormon.

Posted by: gemini ( )

my sign. I know, not too creative...

Date: January 20, 2011 01:21PM

I was a cancer and now I'm gemini too! ;)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:26PM

You ARE whatever sign you were BORN under. Not the one the Earth moved into later in your life.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:47PM

Bullshit? So God didn't speak to Joseph Smith, but Babylonian ASS-trologers...? Mormonism is certainly for imbeciles, but to believe that the mistaken position of the planets at the time of one's birth having ANYTHING to say about a person... well now you're just trying to be stupid.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:01PM

Tell that to Frank Mars brothers who made Milky Way and Snickers bars. ;)

Ron

Date: January 20, 2011 01:28PM

As the second of America's manned spaceflight programs, Project Gemini was, indeed, very creative. All the techniques used today, such as the spacewalk, rendevouz, docking and so-on, were pioneered during Gemini's dizzying tenure.

Timothy

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:32PM

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:39PM

This is always a fun and interesting question to pose. I love reading people's reasons for their names.

Mine is not very imaginative at all. I once got a stuffed pink poodle, thought it was adorable, and from then on out, people started buying me pink poodles so I collected them. I had a poodle growing up and she was very sweet and intelligent, as most poodles are. Given that, the name just kind of fits me.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:42PM

I know we had one a few months ago, but I love reading everyones answers. For instance, you may think that PinkPoodle is unimaginative because you know what it means. I didn't, so it's fun to get the back story. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 01:43PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:40PM

Not much these days.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:43PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:44PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:47PM

Do you plan to come back?

Date: January 20, 2011 01:55PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:48PM

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:46PM

I use mine as a universal moniker for chatrooms and some of my e-mail accounts. I use it because I tend to beat the odds and come out as the lucky one.

Posted by: bluebonnet ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:59PM

Posted by: scandahoovian ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:52PM

Hi, I'm new here.
I thought this would be a good thread to start. My name comes from where I was born. Scandinavia, which utahns love to mangle. Never was a Mormon, never even believed in a god, but very interested in the concept of religion and very encouraged by what I've read on this site.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:55PM

Date: January 20, 2011 01:56PM

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:35PM

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:00PM

Any guesses?

Your moniker was one of the ones I had in mind when I started the thread.

This may be obtuse, but...

Is is something with longitude or latitude? Does the "N'" mean north? I know I'm probably way off.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:14PM

Not quite evil.

I am in the the 666 latitude ...I think.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:45PM

Date: January 20, 2011 02:04PM

Almost the Devil... 666 ... you're 665.5. ;)

Ron

Date: January 20, 2011 02:33PM

665N12...I dunno

I know the numerical equivalence is 665.5.

I am looking to start a new name as I always do once a year here.

I have been a few names here.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:00PM

I don't know. Thats why I let my moniker ask.

Posted by: devilman ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:10PM

Hi, I'm actually The Devil. I just dropped by here to see what you people are writing about my church.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:14PM

Posted by: devilman ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:31PM

I don't do "fun". Now get back to church so you can start weeping, wailing and gnashing your teeth again damn it!!!

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:10PM

Just a fan of my son's favorite cartoon.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:11PM

and there is no magical sky god that can save you.

There is only ONE person/entity that can save you and that is YOU. So I like to keep in mind that the best approach to living is to save yourself, but spelled as SAVIORSELF to bring in the religious overtone.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:11PM

I was crazy to have believed any of it.

And I like breakfast cereal. ;)

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:19PM

I used to post under my temple name, but decided that I needed to live my life as me.

Anyways, I like my name. :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:20PM

chlorine

I worked for a bunch of chemists years ago--and one of them was from the East. He called me "Calleen" instead of Colleen--and I told him he couldn't--so he called me chlorine. It stuck. Everyone I worked with back then--including my boyfriend who is a chemist--knows me by C L 2

Date: January 20, 2011 02:24PM

... "I did not know that."

Thanks for clearing that up, cl2 (get it?)

Timothy

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:26PM

It's my name.

On the old RfM board I was "JackMormon'sWife." (Then I got tired of being somebody's "wife"). I'm technicalogically-challenged and could never figure out how to change my moniker. I started signing all my posts "Shannon" anyway.

So. New board! I registered under "Shannon" and JMW just drifted away. aaaahhhhhhhh.

;o)

Posted by: tude ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:33PM

"Tude" is a nickname my husband gave me because when he first saw me was at a Single Adult dance and I was very shy at the time so I was standing in the corner with my arms crossed, not talking to anyone. He saw me and leaned over to his friend and said,"That girl is cute and I would ask her to dance but she looks like she has an attitude problem!" In fact, I am just the opposite! I am very friendly and I have a very positive attitude! lol!

Anyway, 2 weeks later I introduced myself to him and we became good friends and eventually started dating. He calls me "Tude" (short for attitude) because of the very wrong first impression he had of me when he first saw me! The name also fits me very well because I am full of attitude - the positive, spunky kind! ;o)

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:36PM

Mine is latin, res ipsa loquitur, and means "The thing speaks for itself." It's used in the law to refer to situations where the proof of something is so obvious that one no longer bears the burden of proving the point. The burden shifts to the other side to prove the counterpoint.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:42PM

It's the color of my car, which I love.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:56PM

Strange I guess, it is my name. Maybe I should use the one I used when I was a GA in an offshoot of the morg, AODS. Since I was the oldest, I claimed to be the Ancient Of Days. Now that I look back I probably should have chosen TOMAS... The One Mighty and Strong. Now that I think about it, maybe I need a legal name change.

Date: January 20, 2011 03:00PM

I want to hear the rest of the story! Were you raised in the AODS (what does that stand for)? Or did you leave the morg to join?

Posted by: halfbreed ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:00PM

My father was a nevermo. My mother was of pioneer heritage.
I grew up in a small community where mormons were 10%-15% of the community. The ward was an old established ward with mostly 3rd and 4th generation mormons. My father taught me to think and reason and my mother demanded absolute obedience to the church. I grew up in two different worlds Sundays and church responsibilities were with my mother and her family. The rest of the time I was hunting, fishing and working with my dad in his shop.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:23PM

I don't like the way the morg keeps people child-like. I also don't capitalize god because I don't believe in that gods exists, so I stick it to the christian god by withholding the G. But I don't care if other people capitalize it out of habit or whatever. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 03:24PM by Adult of god.

I hadn't thought of the whole "keeping people child-like thing." So true!

Posted by: angsty ( )

I used the moniker "TennesseeBuckeye" for self-explanatory reasons. Then I went through an episode of paranoia and decided a change was in order (my BIL was having a testimony crisis and I didn't want to be identifiable). I was reading a lot of existential literature at the time and realized that I'm the kind of person who kind of enjoys existential angst, so I might as well own it.

Unfortunately, my BIL recovered his testimony, so the sacrifice of my original user name was unnecessary. My love of existential angst continues, so it still works.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:34PM

Date: January 20, 2011 03:36PM

I thought about using my real name when the new board came up, but I was too nervous someone would recognize me from my posts.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:40PM

I like your spelling. My Mom wanted to spell my name with a "kah" but my father vetoed it. Too Jewish I guess, funny, since all of us have Bible names. Thank be to buddha we don't have BoM names.

Date: January 20, 2011 03:44PM

Holy shit there are two of you!?!

I thought you were just one poster.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:38PM

And the really old timers will know that's a lie

Posted by: temple name Julia ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:52PM

res ipsa loquitur, I like that...yeah my name is not
too creative or anything but seemed appropriate for
this forum...I really wish I had picked something funnier
like sayhitokolob or something....

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:14PM

It's my name. I had to add the 1, as Jon from over the pond showed up about the same time as I.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:15PM

I've actually had two monikers on RfM. I took a leave of absence not long after I first joined up to deal with family stuff, and when I came back many months later I coudn't log on any more, so I just started over with a different name. For those who might remember, I'm the poster formerly known as "Teleforngirl". It comes from Richard G. Scott. He was giving a talk and he somehow combined "porn" and "telephone" and gave the world "teleforn" ;P
Anyway, I enjoyed it, but as it turns out that I needed to come up with a different name, I decided to stick it to BKP. And so, "intellectualfeminist" is my new name.
Which you must never reveal, except at a certain place blah blah blah etc.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:20PM

That seems like a huge stretch. Now I want to go find that talk. I am curious to see if it holds a candle to Bednar's "pickle."

BTW, I knew I'd like you just based on your moniker. Awesome choice. ;)

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:17PM

There's been some misunderstanding in the past what mine means. It has nothing to do with me. But in General, when someone has gone through some kind of experience in their life, they can start to understand things in a clearer perspective in order to start the healing process. It kind of coincides with the saying "You can not change what you don't acknowledge"

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:19PM

There are many threads that peak my interest, also many threads that are both tedious and lame. Hence I Browse and then choose which threads I will comment on. I only comment on the ones to which I feel can add something helpful.

JB

Date: January 20, 2011 04:21PM

for a minute there, I was worried you were gonna say my thread was lame. ; )

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:20PM

For "egg."

Bolivians call Mormon missionaries "huevos" (Spanish for eggs) because it's slang for "testicles."

The way it was explained to me, like testicles, they come in pairs, and like eggs, they are white (skin and shirts).

In Quechua-speaking parts of Bolivia, they called us "runtus."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 04:41PM by runtu.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:22PM

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:40PM

Because I often THINK I'm adding something interesting to a thread on RfM, but instead I KILL it...

Date: January 20, 2011 04:41PM

Date: January 20, 2011 04:44PM

That or your post was sooooo awesome that no one could add anything more to it then what you already have.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:46PM

Date: January 20, 2011 04:40PM

I've enjoyed reading about everyones monikers!

Posted by: Misfit ( )

I never felt like I fit in at church. Now, that I've defected, they think I'm going to Hell, so I'm an Earthbound Misfit. Extracted from Pink Floyd's "Learning to Fly" lyrics, it also means I'm finding freedom.

I've since ressurected my Tangerine Dream music, so I'm thinking of changing my moniker to "32 years in space", a derivative of one of their hits "One night in space."

Date: January 20, 2011 04:47PM

I love that song and I think of it every time I see you moniker.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )

There is a backstory to the 'Angel' part of mine:
When I was in Young Women's many moons ago, the teacher was going on one day about how only the celestial folks would get to be gods and goddesses, and the rest of us would only get to be angels. My big mouth piped up with, "I'd rather be an angel than polygamous and pregnant!" There was shocked silence, then giggles from my friends. They started calling me Angel after that and it stuck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 04:46PM by angelcowgirl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.