Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:47PM

Watching Larry King and it's very good. He has had some very prominant gays on and they are going to make a difference! They talked about Boyd K,but only for a minute. It's a very powerful show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:13PM

I tuned in just as he was saying "I know a lot of Mormons. I'm married to a Mormon. They're wonderful people!" Then he mentioned "their Bible". Guess not a single Mo thing has rubbed off on him from his Mormon wife if he doesn't even know enough to name the BoM.

I loved it when one of the panel members who is gay ranted about the "hate the sin, love the sinner" spiel, saying "it's not sin" and also that "they" (religious people) need to do a whole lot more of the loving part.

I felt so sorry for the mom whose gay son had committed suicide. Larry's style is so abrasive and she ended up in tears, recounting her son's attributes and her shock at his suicide. She had no idea he was suicidal and he didn't leave a note. She is left to speculate as to why it came to that with no signs that she recognized of him being depressed or suicidal.

I find that Larry King's rapid-fire questions, constant interruptions, and failure to interact sensitively are off-putting in the extreme. I'm happy he's retiring. The topics can be interesting. Him, not so much.

Meanwhile, I didn't know who any of those celebs were but I'm glad they're uniting to speak out. It could save countless lives if young people who are gay have some great role models and a lot of encouragement.

God knows they need it, given the other insensitive clods they have to work with.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 01:24AM

I agree with you about Larry King. He has no sensitivity with delicate subjects-like suicide. And it made me ill when he said mormons were wonderful people. I'd like him to meet all the mormons that are now shunning me and my 2 children because we CHOSE not to remain members.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:02AM

I am watching the show now (rebroadcast in Japan). This is certainly going against the current, but I'm frustrated that he is repeating "as fact" the immediate media line on the Rutgers suicide, and nobody thinks twice about accepting it. That line is, 'Tyler was secretly taped having sex [full intimate implication] and the recording was broadcast over the internet to the WHOLE WORLD--twice!'

Forget the fact that both Tyler and Dharun merely described it as "making out." The media, having no direct sources, kicks into exaggeration mode.

If it was "taped," how come there is no tape? If it was on the internet, how come there is no record of that? If it was broadcast to the whole world, how come nobody around the world, around the country, even around Rutgers, admits to having seen it? From what people actually present report, it was only live-streamed for a brief time on one computer screen in one girl's room. And only once, as Tyler stated online that he dismantled the camera later.

There are several other separate things that don't seem to add up (but that's not the subject of this post), and if the other Rutgers students have capable lawyers, the media will be shown to be extremely culpable here. This is no defense of bullying, and most of Larry King's show is relevant in raising awareness on this issue, But the Rutgers case is being "made to fit" the bill instead of all angles being investigated and reported accurately. What does any one who is really interested in eliminating hate crimes have to lose by getting the facts straight and learning the possibly complex truth about this case?

Maybe this comment isn't appropriate for this place, and if not, I'll understand its deletion. But "Recovery from Mormonism" does involve getting off the bandwagon of repeated stories--about the church, about gender roles, about race and sex and social behaviors, etc.--and discovering the underlying truth, no matter how unsettling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.