Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Grey ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:04PM

Hi Folks

There were many hymns which were sung at morg mettings, which I hated, even as a TBM.

They were, and still are, depressing, suicide inducing, and particularly brain-numbing and excruciating to children.

Two come to mind:

1. Oh My father, and

2. If you could Hie to Kolob

These were absolute torture.

Many other hymns were quite insane, like Praise to the Man.

And then there were the hymns of violence containing lines such as:

"sound the war cry... vanquish every soul"

"Onward Christain soldiers, marching as to war..."

"Fighting for a kingdom, and the world is our foe"

"Strike for Zion, down with error; flash the sword above the foe! Ev'ry stroke disarms a foeman, ev'ry step we conq'ring go"

The Morg Cult must have an enemy to operate successfully as a cult. The enemy of course, is every non-Mormon.

Regards

Do you care to add any to the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 03:32PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:07PM

"Shall the youth of Zion falter in defending truth and right?"

"Put your shoulder to the wheel, push along."

"Hail to the man who..."

"Saturday, is a special day it's the day we get....fuckit"

Ron

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:47PM

My first ward's priesthood meeting filled the chapel every Sunday. We were blessed with a lot of men with good singing voices. Not one was bashful. When we sang, we sang. When it came time to sing "Put..." (often) the men even sang the parts. I still get chills when the memory plays in my mind. Probably has something to do with me being a lover of men.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:17PM

In Our Lovely Deseret
* retch *

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:33PM

Our MTC teacher taught us to sing

"In our lovely Deseret
We don't smoke or drink or pet."

Now I can't hear that hymn without hearing those words.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:28PM

Yoo Hoo unto Jesus was always a goodie...

How about, all 8 verses of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief"?

Date: January 20, 2011 02:42PM

A Poor...
As a poem I still consider it to be wonderfully inspirational.
However, when I put it in the context in which it is used in the morg... to agrandize JS it seems to lose its appeal.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:28PM

When my kids were little, I was a single mom (probably the only one in the ward) and I hated when the kids had to sing that stupid primary song to the congregation. I can only remember part of the lyrics....

I love daddy
he loves me
We are a happy
Fam-i-ly

I wanted to go to someone in the primary presidency and just slap them! And then say,"hey..it's bad enough my kids have a dad that treats them like shit, doesn't see them, breaks promises to them, etc. but now they have to feel even worse about it and more like outcasts because they don't have a 'happy fam-i-ly'like all the other little mos here.

I swear, my kids are 22 and 24 and I still get pissed off thinking about them having to sing this song up on the stage.

Posted by: Woman's Intuition ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:38PM

I totally understand PinkPoodle! I was one of the few kids who came from a broken home in my ward, and singing those "happy family" songs used to make me so sad and angry.

The other one that used to kill me was "How Great Thou Art"...not that the message was bad, just that I felt it so hypocritical to sing that song in a room full of people who only cared about themselves.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:11PM

Our version as kids:

I'm so mad when daddy comes home,
mad as i can be

I scream and shout and stomp my feet
then kick him in the knee

Put my hands around his neck,
squeeze it tight like this

slap his cheek and give him what?

A big, fat, lip!

Date: January 20, 2011 03:12PM

Um, put this in the wrong spot, sorry!

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:19PM

That's hillarious Nomomomo! I love it!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:21PM

...and a very new newlywed, I asked the primary president about doing crap like this. Her answer floored me. She said that the other kids who come from "normal" and "strong" homes shouldn't be punished just because some of the kids didn't have moms or dads at home.

WTF!?!?

Date: January 20, 2011 02:39PM

As tbm in you youth I loved "Hail to the Prophet". Now I cring at the hubris of it. I like to think it was because I could hear the bagpipes in the backgroud. My friends and I referred to it as the mormon fight song.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:19PM

on my pennywhistle and my husband covered his ears and said "Ugh. Please. No songs abut Mormon prophets in our house!"

I told him "The Mormons ripped it off all of Scotland, so how about we just take it back and stop letting them 'own' a tune in our minds that they stole from a much more glorious tradition".

Date: January 20, 2011 07:36PM

Amen and amen!

Growing up we had a neighbor on the block behind our house who played the bagpipes, usually in the glomin'. I think that is where I learned to love the tune.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:46PM

Particularly as ExH and I were divorcing. It infuriated me that we were still sealed. Now I don't care much.

Posted by: bluebonnet ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:00PM

for some unexplained reason. The melody is beautiful but the lyrics seemed just plain weird.

Date: January 20, 2011 03:14PM

called "Star of the County Down".

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:59PM

Both the words and melody.

Some of the songs had nice words or a nice tune, this one had nothing going for it as far as I'm concerned.

Besides that, my older brother ridiculed me every Sunday when I was about five or six because I had thought the song was about pioneers shoving their covered wagons out of big ruts.

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:21PM

I HATED that song too and to make it worse it's one of those songs you get stuck in your head and can't get out!

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:13PM

"Oh My Father" teaches that the Mother in Heaven exists and will participate in judgement. As the poem was written as a prayer/psalm, one has to assume that the singer is aware that he is praying to both God the Father and God the Mother, asking to meet them and be with them.

Hmmm... Are the GAs aware that by doing so, we are worshipping God the Mother? Don't you get exed for that?

Date: January 20, 2011 03:13PM

hymn. It wasn't downright offensive, but considering the supposedly-powerful content, it was SOOO painful to sit through. Towards the end of my LDSness I couldn't even finish singing it. I just find it utterly exhausting.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:17PM

"I Believe In Christ" is an excruciatingly boring and uninspiring hymn. I think Mormons sing it, because it appeals to their Calvinist suffering ethic.

Date: January 20, 2011 03:14PM

sigh. My mom loved Oh my father, we sang it at her funeral. When I got baptized my favorite was "Come, come ye saint's"

Go figure.

I love ya mom, I'm guessing you know better now that you are in a better place, which I oculd pick your brain.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:17PM

the Melody for 'Away in a Manger' it was horrible. Why change it in the first place.

I keep suggesting let's sing "when the Saints Go Marching In". No one wants to though....

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:21PM

"Oh How Lovely Was The Morning" sucks along with most of those mentioned previously.

I still keep a hymnal aroung so I can show people how the cover has phalic symbols on it. The large organ pipes even have little notches at the top of thier round heads if you look carefully. Even the name "organ pipe" could be taken to be phalic.

High on a mountain top will always be special to me. It was always hard for me to supress the laughter inside me whenever we got to the part that said a banner is unfurrled to "atract the gaze (I always imagined it read gays) of all the world in latter days".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 03:24PM by luckychucky.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:29PM

+1 "Oh how lovely was the morning" sucked!!! Not only was it a stupid melody, but the second line "...brightlt beamed the sun above.." was too high for most people to sing, and they squeeked, and yelled it. I can still remember my BIL's face turning red as he strained it out.

"Til We Meet Again" was my favorite. Bet you can't guess why...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:42PM

Fuck I hated the hymn

The one that's all like,

Give me more humility

Give me more spirit

Give me more herpes

Give me more boredom in church

Posted by: temple name Julia ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:29PM

Another pennywhistle player! Yay! I have a book of Scottish songs for the whistle and Scotland the Brave even says also called "Praise to the Man". Made my Catholic music teacher very
curious.

I always hated the song about "doing good is a pleasure, a joy
beyond measure" and it had the line (now changed thankfully)
"the world has no use for the drone"! I always kinda took that personally. But now drone and morg do make a lot more sense, but then it just made a kid feel worse about herself.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:12PM

PAHLEEEEZE - I beg you in the name of all that is holy - DON'T bring up those stupid funeral dirges. They stick in my head for hours like a bad flashback. Have mercy!!

Praise to the Man is the all-time worst. Aughhh - I said it! Aughhh, I said it again.....

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:31PM

Mostly because they were so......so.....slow!

I also hated "Sweet Hour of Prayer" because when I was in seminary, not many of the students could play the piano, so one girl would volunteer to play the hymn and that was the only one she knew. I also got tired of "How Firm a Foundation" because I remember singing it A LOT.

There are more, but those are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

Posted by: jeffnlb ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:36PM

I actually enjoyed the s-l-o-w songs, for the simple fact that they cut into the time the b-o-r-i-n-g speakers had to give their talks.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:01PM

I like music and like most of the hymns (as long as they are sung at a fast tempo).

As far as song being stolen, that was a normal practice. I was the organist for the Baptist church for years and they have hymns with the same melodies (many lyrics/hymns are the same).

How Great Thou Art is a favorite of mine. My dad used to sing it at many wards, but that was before it was published in the LDS hymnal. Because it was used by a televangelist many thought it was not right to sing in SM.

I told my kids that a friend and I when around 12 would add "under the covers" to they hymn titles to make it a little more interesting.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:42PM

We had an Italian family join the church in our ward. She was a chellist, he an operetic tenor. They were asked to perform in sm. The number they chose was a lovely Ave Maria. As soon as the bishop had heard enough to know what it was they were stopped and the bishop gave a lecture on why it was inappropriate.

So very rude! No! Provencial.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:48PM

On the other hand...

I always loved "Have I done any good...". A lovely lilting melody with uplifting words. The time signature change on the chorus also gave it a bit extra.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:11PM

find it hard to keep from rolling in the aises when the ward sang...

Hold to the Rod, the iron rod.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:38PM

Nasty boys!

Although I do enjoy the sentiment.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:19PM

What you need to rehabilitate this song is the version from the Trent Harris movie Plan 10 From Outer Space. Comes with a dance that's part vogue (think Madonna) and part secre... er, sacred ritual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BA3SO1sokA&playnext=1&list=PL2100037242E72BC1&index=4

Posted by: halfbreed ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:42PM

that almost made me bust out laughing. Ever since then I have refered to it as the newlywed song. "I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.