Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:58PM

According to Myers Briggs Educator Danielle Poirier, the dominant mental function is the most distinctive marker of a person’s personality type. Following this principle, she organizes the 16 Personality Types in four clusters:

The Four Primary Personality Types

Dominant Intuitive Types: INFJ, INTJ, ENFP, ENTP

Dominant Sensing Types: ISFJ, ISTJ, ESFP, ESTP

Dominant Thinking Types: ISTP, INTP, ESTJ, ENTJ

Dominant Feeling Types: ISFP, INFP, ESFJ, ENFJ

If you examine the MBTI Type letters within each group, You’ll note the Personality Types within a given cluster sometimes share only one letter with another member of their group. Some would find this odd, yet none-the-less all the types within a cluster have a solid basis for collaboration and communication because they share the same dominant mental function.

These four primary Type groups can be further sub-divided based on their energy orientation or attitude (Extraversion vs. Introversion):

The 8 Secondary Personality Types

Dominant Introverted Intuitive Types: INFJ & INTJ

Dominant Extraverted Intuitive Types: ENFP & ENTP

Dominant Introverted Sensing Types: ISFJ & ISTJ

Dominant Extraverted Sensing Types: ESFP & ESTP

Dominant Introverted Thinking Types: ISTP & INTP

Dominant Extraverted Thinking Types: ESTJ & ENTJ

Dominant Introverted Feeling Types: ISFP & INFP

Dominant Extraverted Feeling Types: ESFJ & ENFJ

Note within each of these 8 sub-groups, the individual Personality Types share 3 out of 4 MBTI ® letters. So not only do they share the important core mental function, individuals within each of these groups will likely share a number of behavior traits that are correlated with the three MBTI Type letters they share.

Organizing or ordering the Personality Types in this manner flows into a more recent extrapolation of the Myers-Jung mental functions. The original four (Intuition, Sensing, Thinking, and Feeling) now become eight when one considers the attitude or direction of the mental function (either Introverted or Extraverted). Thus the mental function of Intuition is divided into two: one mental function is Introverted Intuition and the second is Extraverted Intuition. While the two are related, Type educators who hold to this model believe the differences are enough to warrant the distinction. Some educators, like Hartzler and Nardi (see references and sources at this end of this article), have developed coaching models on these 8 functions - helping people learn to sharpen skills associated with one of more of the 8 mental functions (most typically those skills associated with mental functions that are less favored by a given type)

More of that at the following web address. http://www.personalitypathways.com/16-personality-types.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 03:59PM by experienceheals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 20, 2011 04:02PM

I took the test carefully, thoughtfully and as honestly as I could for the questions that were asked on the test. According to the test. I'm mostly fit under ISTP with some INFJ in there too. You can go to that web site to take the test to see what characteristics and quality traits you may be if you're interested. It's actually kinda fun to find out or be reminded of some of the things you may not have thought of for a while or been aware of that was once a part of your personal growth and things you may notice or may not have noticed in the recent present. Give it a go!

Here's the actual test link:
http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 04:06PM by experienceheals.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:11PM

Just teasin. It's good to get a better look at ones self. Tough to be honest about it though.

I'm an INTP myself. I think WestBerkeleyFlats may be right that there is a preponderance of like types here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 04:12PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:21PM

I guess you can say I'm a little bit both country and rock n roll. maybe rockabilly isn't so bad after all. haha!

Date: January 20, 2011 04:36PM

here's a link where you can go to read more about the personality traits you may fall under.
http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory2.html

in each of the green boxes further down the page, you'll see letters in the green boxes, that tell you which 4 letter type they explain further when you click on the "click here" link within each of them.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:03PM

are predominately I, N, and T.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:11PM

I have to agree, but there are some E N T here as well. Sometimes the E N T compliment the I N T but other times will get on the I N T nerves. That's when it's time to place on ignore for a while until the situation diffuses or contact a mod.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:52PM

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:22PM

I remember that test, I'm an INFP.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:41PM

I'm always 50/50 F/T, but apparently the word choice section is the tie-breaker, so that makes me an "F".

Date: January 20, 2011 04:47PM

F/T introvert or extrovert? there's 2 categories of each.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:48PM

That's what I am. Borderline INTP.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:49PM

Date: January 20, 2011 04:55PM

same here. I find it tough to break free and be extroverted sometimes. I find myself having to force myself to step outside my comfort zone at times just to try to keep a healthy balance. It's just not a part of my nature.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:58PM

yeah I don't think anyone is 100% one type. there's usually a mix of a couple. that's a good thing.

Date: January 20, 2011 04:53PM

intellectualfeminist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that test, I'm an INFP.

you're everyone's friend according to the description I read.
http://www.personalitypathways.com/dom-fi.html

Great qualities to have, especially on recovery boards or even at schools, nursing homes, counseling positions where empathy, understanding and listening is really needed.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:02PM

Keep in mind that you aren't taking the full test, but it might get you close anyway. Last I knew, you had to pay to take the full test, and couldn't do it online.

I'm an ISTP

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:10PM

Let's don't take that thing too seriously. It's been around forever and I just don't think it's very good or helpful.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:24PM

But it's interesting that on the fairly brief Mensa membership form (once you've been officially informed that you've qualified for membership) there is a space for Myers-Briggs typing "if you know" what your MB type is.

When I first encountered this (a long time ago) I had no idea what "Myers-Briggs" was--I had never heard of it before. What I find interesting, though, is that this query is still there. Obviously, someone in national Mensa is keeping stats on this (though I don't remember reading what the progressive conclusions might be; if they've been published, I haven't seen them).

I'm INFJ.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:29PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Let's don't take that thing too seriously. It's
> been around forever and I just don't think it's
> very good or helpful.

I've used it professionally, and find that when the full test is taken, the results are surprisingly accurate, and have been a great help in allowing people to see that there are others like them, and be able to see how other types view the world, and thus react differently to the same events.

Date: January 20, 2011 05:52PM

15 years ago.
I think it's excellent and EXTREMELY helpful.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:16PM

ENTJ here. Husband in INTP or INTJ, or C3PO. Can't remember.

Date: January 20, 2011 05:27PM

heather Wrote:
> ENTJ here. Husband in INTP or INTJ, or C3PO.
> Can't remember.

are you sure it wasn't R2D2? LOL!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:58PM

Hope you're feeling better, btw. Whatever your reasons for leaving the cult may be, you did the right thing.

Have to agree with Cheryl. These tests are fairly ridiculous money making schemes. Thay may make you feel better about yourself, but they are hardly accurate.

For starters, the questions can only be answered in black or white.

For example:

"You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options."

That depends on the situation or circumstance. When I see someone unknowingly placed in a dangerous situation, I tend to react right away. If its something less pressing, I tend to explore the options.

"You are more interested in a general idea than in the details of its realization"

I'm equally interested in both. Where's the button for that?

"Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent a good outcome"

Not enough details to say either way.

"You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed"

Again, need more details.

"You are inclined to rely more on improvisation than on careful planning"

Among other things, I'm a composer and recording artist. Gotta do both. The particular situation dictates the preference.

"You spend your leisure time actively socializing with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc."

Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no.

"You usually plan your actions in advance"

Depends on if I'm at work or play. Work, yes. Play, no.

"You often do jobs in a hurry"

When the circumstances demand, yes. When they don't, I take my time.

"You tend to rely on your experience rather than on theoretical alternatives"

Again, yes or no depending on the situation or circumstance.

"You are more inclined to experiment than to follow familiar approaches"

Just covered that.

"The process of searching for solution is more important to you than the solution itself"

Again, both are of equal importance to me, but I can only choose either/or.

"When solving a problem you would rather follow a familiar approach than seek a new one"

How many times have we gone over this?

"When considering a situation you pay more attention to the current situation and less to a possible sequence of events"

Again, both. Where's the button?

"Your decisions are based more on the feelings of a moment than on the careful planning"

Oh brother. I looked up the word "redundant" in the dictionary and it said "see redundant"

"You prefer to spend your leisure time alone or relaxing in a tranquil family atmosphere"

Again, yes and no.

"As a rule, current preoccupations worry you more than your future plans"

Yawn!

Relying on such tests to provide absolutes is much like relying on mormonism for answers. Looks good on paper, but in actual practice comes up less than short of the mark.

I’ll bet Covey eats this shit up!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 05:59PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:05PM

Good to have another like me on here!

Thanks for the support there Timothy. I always enjoy your posts/comments. :)

Date: January 20, 2011 06:43PM

Date: January 20, 2011 08:34PM

My wife just took the test and she also falls under the extroverted thinking category. she is an ESTJ, the same category as you Tim and Heather. Just can't get away from the Drama sometimes. LOL! just kidding. We used to get on each others nerves an awful lot because we both were right fighters, but since we've gone through some counseling, we've learned new ways of communicating which has definitely improved the quality of our relationship.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:23PM

That's why I chose to pick the two closest ones for myself so there's no confusion. when you add the closest ones up together and read about them together, it starts to make the puzzle more full and put together. Bad Girl has done the same thing which we both feel is the more accurate way of taking the test, instead of depleting ourselves into one narrow category. Maybe go back and see what other traits are in what ever category? I know they can be pretty broad with some things, but there are places where it does sound familiar and fits my own anyway.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:38PM

As such, an accurate conclusion cannot be determined and the suggested models subsequently fail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of if/then, either/or, flow chart modeling and troubleshooting, but this particular test does not account for variables and is therefore lacking in accuracy.

In short, it cannot be relied upon to do anything useful beyond make money for its inventors. Much like mormonism.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 06:41PM by Timothy.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:50PM

after reading some traits that I've noticed in myself and after getting to know you a bit through many heated discussions and reading the 4 letter chart you claim is probably the closest to yours, I have to say, i recognize why you and I tend to butt heads a lot. We both are deep thinkers or stinkers, however you want to put it. We both are problem solvers to different extents. I noticed you like to be on top and no I don't mean in bed, lol! I mean you love a good competition, as do I, but not in so much of an argument sense.

We both also can be very impersonal and practical jokers at times or many times what ever mood we're in. You tend to be very much a right fighter. I can be that way too. I used to be a right fighter an awful lot like my dad, but it's taken me some time, patience and tolerance of others views to not do that so much, because I know other people have things to offer as well, just differently.

It helps to have some kind of descriptions, maps laid out for me to have a clearer understanding, but usually, I can understand someone just by listening and paying attention to P's and Q's in talk and behavior. The study of personality has always been something that's fascinated me since I was a kid. With that said, whether you agree with my observations or not, I can see it. btw, I'm glad we found something we can talk about. :)

Date: January 20, 2011 07:00PM

Date: January 20, 2011 07:09PM

I see you as not getting it, and you see us as not getting it.
Get it?

Date: January 20, 2011 07:16PM

tomatoe, tomato I guess. I understand a lot of things, I also understand that not everyone will think, talk and act the same, nor are they expected to. The job can get done in different ways, even though it may frustrate different individuals. I find some of the ways my wife does, pretty frustrating at times. I just had to learn and be patient and trust that she does get it and know what she's doing and saying, just that her way of thinking and doing things is different. Get it? Got it? Good. lol! I was replying to Tim in agreement with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 07:18PM by experienceheals.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:19PM

It's pretty clear you and I have similar personalities and attitudes about this sort of thing.
Whatever works for people... no need to make a judgment.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:06PM

If you didn't find it so, that doesn't mean that's true for everybody.
It was extremely valuable to me and I found it quite accurate in my case.
It seems fairly accurate for you as well (especially the "J").

Date: January 20, 2011 06:27PM

I don't think it was obvious enough you were more on the extrovert side. hahaha! (sarcasm) nothing wrong there either. I've got plenty of extroverts in my family. My wife might be a mix between the two, but leaning more toward extrovert. Still plan on having her take the test, out of curiosity.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:57PM

My chosen profession(s) demand that I be extroverted. I don't need a test to tell me that. Comes with the territory. Quick-fix and get-rich-quick schemes are for folks who rely on religion and self-help books to point them in the right direction.

Give yourself a little credit. Got a passion? Go for it. You're always going to better at doing the things you love than the things you're simply trained to do.

The test puts you in a mold. It says you are this or you are that. Like religion, it hinders creativity. I'm simply not into locked doors and stiffled screams.

Timothy

Date: January 20, 2011 07:02PM

I'm all for the creativity and passion of doing things that help me to feel free and alive. I also find it refreshing to think about all the possibilities as reminders of what I'm capable of. I just take tests like that as a reminder once in a blue moon in case I have contracted personal identity disorder/amnesia from too much thinking outside the box that eventually works it's way back inside the box somehow while frying the processor from overheating. Now that's straight Nerd talk. haha!

Date: January 20, 2011 07:13PM

Talk about putting people in a mold!

See, I'm just open to all kinds of things, including this. I feel no need to pass judgment on everything. Whatever floats your boat. Don't know why it would bother you so much that others find something useful/helpful/accurate.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:29PM

Oh, he just likes to argue points because he's very much a right fighter, as I pointed out earlier. What he says, doesn't move the world, Tim just likes to do things his way or the highway. I wouldn't read too much into what he feels and believes, because everyone will have different views and beliefs.

I'm not bagging on you Tim, it's fine to have different opinions and views. I actually agree with half of your statements through out the board, even though they come across blunt and brash, but honest. I just don't think your approach is the most diplomatic or polite. I tend to have a bit of a problem with how I approach things myself sometimes. I've found when I have taken the time to step outside myself to understand and know others better, it's easier for me to communicate effectively with others.

Tim you're a very independent person, which there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm a very independent person myself. I try to do my best to allow room to work and think together with others more frequently than I used to, because feeling like I'm on the same page with others, to me is more constructive than destructive. IDK. to each his, her own. what ever floats your boat.

I just know from seeing my mom and dad in constant argument because my dad always had to be a right fighter, there wasn't much rest and peace in the home. At least he was brutally honest most the time, but being that way doesn't always get the job done, because it can have reverse effects on some people who won't want to do anything with demands be handed at them.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:32PM

is that the thing they are "honest" about is their opinion, not necessarily some kind of objective truth.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:49PM

True there too. Someone else's truth won't necessarily fit another person to suit their needs.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 08:07PM

As much information as the MBTI gives you, I do not think you should diagnose, and claim to know people's motivations from reading on a recovery board. "Right fighters" is a loaded term, not a neutral trait.

To me, Timothy comes across as honest, and to the point. Everyone expresses themselves differently, and it is easy to misunderstand people in print. As long as they are offering input without being pervy, trollish, etc. I usually don’t have a problem.

I don’t think he should try to qualify his statements to please everyone or even more people. People pleasing is an impossible goal, because only narcissists think they can get everyone or even need everyone to like them. Fact of life: some people don’t like you.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:20PM

and not conform - not that I tried hard to conform. My type is rare, and I have constantly had lectures from people telling me how I should be like them i.e. fit THEIR mold. Introverts get this a lot from extroverts. I am not like them, and they don't do what I do best, and I don't do what they do best. The great number of NT's & NF's on this board are a minority in regular society. We are different, but not defective.

Date: January 20, 2011 07:23PM

what type of work I'd be happiest in and why...
it helped me understand that, and yes, affirmed that it was OK!

Date: January 20, 2011 07:40PM

Once, I was in my hometown for a few months, and there were very few jobs. I didn't need a job, but decided to keep busy, and save more money. I had worked in a semi-skilled library job at YBU, but decided to work as a waitress. I had to study how they dealt with the customers, because excessive social interaction on the job was not normal for me, even though I can seem extroverted at times. You could tell who was introverted, and who was extroverted. I loved meeting people, because I am observer, but overall HATED the job. I can deal with people, but my time, and skills are in best use when I am not socializing, and buried somewhere in an archive or lab or even working in a garden - the key word is ALONE.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:34PM

The actual test is an assessment that costs money, takes a lot of time to take, is administered in a testing area, and has questions that you answer based on different situations, and require you to think about your preferences for behavior, decision making, etc. instead of making very general, quick judgments. It is very accurate, and I have taken it three times for university classes. I tested the same every time. It is not astrology.

My thinking preference also goes towards feeling, but the T preference wins every time.

These are funny:

The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant:
http://www.xeromag.com/fun/personality.html

The Compleat Idiot's Guide to the INTJ
http://intjcentral.com/manual1

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 08:09PM

I took the test and found out I am perfect. Should have never resigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.