Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:39PM

...wouldn't TBM parents want to be at least a little prepared for the ultimate questions that their tech-savvy youngsters are going to eventually ask them???

Or will they just quash ANY conversation along those lines as "Satan-induced" should one of their kids bring it up???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:48PM

I tried with my dad. And he said "We don't understand the temple ordinances until we go through, maybe not even after." He said me researching and looking at this site was of the devil, and he had no real reason why men can be sealed to more than one woman in the temple. Ugh. I'd also like to know what TBM parents think forcing their kids into the church is going to keep them in the church when they move out.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:01PM

My step daughter finally told her grandma that she doesn't want to go to church anymore. She didn't think the stories in the bible and book of mormon made very much sense, and she didn't like the way they treat women. Her grandma just started crying and sent her granddaughter home to her mom. Then her mom was saying that I taught her to be intolerant... I guess making her go to church and primary for years is tolerance, but saying something about it is intolerance? I don't understand either of them at all. They literally couldn't deal with a fifth grader disagreeing with them. It was crazy.

I read a book about people who follow authoritarian leaders once, it said that people who do it refuse to think about the possibility that they are wrong. They don't understand why anyone would look into it. The bad feelings that go along with doubting and searching for truth make them just give up.

if the internet stays free mormon parents are going to have to deal with a lot of trouble. It is so easy to look things up now, and kids know how to use the internet way better than their parents. I wouldn't doubt that the church will come out with some kind of websense application to keep people from reading about the church's history, like blocking pages with certain phrases. They are trying to win with PR campaigns right now but it isn't likely to work.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:09PM

That is one smart fifth-grader! Already understanding how the church treats woman, she's going to grow up to be very smart and successful I just know it.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 07:06PM

on the idea of being the one twoo crutch, and the false belief that gawd, and "good" always prevail. They are brainwashed, plus I think there will always be a Taliban wing, that will restrict their learning, thinking, media, rules, etc. to "official" sources, and stunt their minds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.