Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:44PM

As you guys know, I have a chronic illness. Lately Doterra has been sweeping through my Utah workplace like the plague. Everyone keeps trying to sell them to me as cures and such.

Is this an MLM thing? What's the deal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:46PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 06:46PM by mav.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:51PM

Young Living oils preceded them. They're a copycat MLM. It's a snake oil racket that is nothing new. Things like this have been going on for hundreds of years. It goes by the theory that if it stinks, it must be good medicine!

Date: May 14, 2013 06:53PM

That's what I figured, that it was MLM crap.

I have a teacher I work with who is just getting into them. She swears that she feels better. She's always been a bit of a downer. I think it's just the placebo effect working on her.

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:40PM

fidget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's what I figured, that it was MLM crap.
>
> I have a teacher I work with who is just getting
> into them. She swears that she feels better. She's
> always been a bit of a downer. I think it's just
> the placebo effect working on her.

you are a teacher , my wife is a teacher too

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:53PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:57PM

It's no different than the Young Living craze of several years ago. Essential oils are often used in massage, for relaxation, as air fresheners etc. Certain oils claim certain properties for example, lavender is popular for stress relief, citrus fruits (lemon, grapefruit) supposedly energize. On one hand, I love the essential oils because synthetic air fresheners, candles etc. have something in them that doesn't agree with me so the pure essential oils work better. I find them very relaxing. But the claims of healing I find suspect. I would say the primary - possibly the only - benefit of these oils is stress relief, which will help you if you are sick. Stress worsens everything. And a few oils, like peppermint, actually do help open the sinuses. Other than that, I wouldn't use them as a medicinal replacement. I have some of that doTerra On Guard, which smells delicious but I haven't noticed it's cured me of anything.

Date: May 14, 2013 06:59PM

rational guy - it isn't snake oil, unless you are using it to cure stuff. It's a great product, if used for what it's good for, which is relaxation, scent, perfume, air freshener etc. If you want to talk snake oil, then Goji juice would be more accurate.

Date: May 14, 2013 07:22PM

Well, it's overpriced! For what it is, you're paying too much because it's MLM. If you like the smell, search the internet for a non-MLM source of the same stuff and get it without being screwed. All their claims are designed to make you think they invented essential plant oils. People have been extracting oils from plants fo oh, I guess around 10,000 years.

Date: May 14, 2013 06:59PM

We make all our own soaps, cleaners, and such. The oils work great in those. But I'm with you on the healing thing, I haven't experienced anything super awesome.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:58PM

Total MLM, 1000% markup, and have been involved in lawsuits for business practices.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:05PM

I won't comment on either because I love you all, but essential oils do have some good uses. Bach essences are the original flower essences but you have to be trained in how to use them. I think there's a video on youtube about Dr. Bach. They aren't sold as MLM but you do have to be formally trained by the Bach Institute to be able to prescribe them to other people.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:10PM

I'm not against essential oils in general, but the science isn't there to support the "magic bullet" theory. They are good for things, but DoTerra in particular seems to have shady practices by all accounts.

Date: May 14, 2013 07:29PM

the prob with doterra is if you have dumbass TBM MLM wannabe's passing them out with zero education except for what they repeat to you on the label of the bottle, then ya. You aren't going to get a quality product. The real bach essence distributors can't prescribe them to other people until after they go through an extensive training. I learned how to use them in a 6 months training, but their ethics code is that you can only use them for yourself if you aren't "officially" trained by the Bach Institute in England (which I wasn't.)

Yes, that still doesn't mean they work for everyone. I do agree with that much. But I do know people that have responded to them very nicely. Under a PROFESSIONAL recommendation though and not some stupid Provo MLM wannbe soccer mom trying to make some extra expresso money.

:) Sorry, I'm not mad at all, I just had to say that because it was one of my college classes that I really loved and my professor DID live at the Bach Institute and learn how to really use them by growing and picking the plants herself and extracting the oils...from bottom to top, she did it all. They can't cure things by themselves for the most part. It's a process that may include other rememdies for the full desired effect. And that's where companies like doterra go wrong. They pretend it's a cure all, when it's only a piece of the puzzle.

Posted by: testing ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 03:04AM

You want science-- its there all over the place: www.aromaticscience.com Essential Oils work because of the plants- where do you think most pharma comes from? the scientists study those plants and make synthetics from the compounds in the plants-- do some research on the thousands and thousands of research studies that is there on the site above as well as pubmed.gov
Actual medical doctors that are not homeopathic doctors are offering essential oils as an alternative to those who are open to using them.
And MLM or no MLM- there are costs anywhere -whether it is an MLM or you have a company- a Corporation with a head of company and has a few VP's and more VP's under them...and so on down. These companies spend money on marketing, advertising, etc. MLM spends the money on people who educate and share the product. The money is spent either way.
What is most important is that you have the best product you can have to put into your body- that is safe and effective.
I didn't know anything about these essential oils till I actually researched it-- so I didn't just take what people said to me that they are snake oils...I did the best thing I could- look at the science that was there and it was easy-- and made sense-- no different than what I did when I looked at pharm products I had been prescribed...but funny thing was -- I saw NO side effects that I saw with prescripts and they were cheaper.
There was undeniably no placebo that could ever happen when I burned myself and put lavender oil on it as suggested and immediately took the pain and blister away. And I never would have believed it unless it happened to me-- because there was no drug or OTC that ever did that!
Most may have to experience something to believe it-- but thousands and thousands using it and continuing to buy is because it works not a placebo. Science is there...just look for it...read it..and try it. What do you have to lose but possibly an ailment or even the stress :)
But make sure that what you get is undeniably the purest form you can get- because it is an industry like any others that companies try to make the most money possible and dilution is regular-- there are no labeling laws and anyone can label 100% pure and only have 1% of the pure oil in it. The cost of oils has a great deal to do with having 100% pure unadulterated oil and the purest is that it is indigenous to the area it was originally found and the 2 different tests done are necessary to ensure no one has adulterated the oil which is so common.
Many of you may realize this that you get what you pay for-- just look at vehicles, tools, sports equipment...etc. You don't want to skimp on your health if your life depends on it or you put it on your kids.
Just good food for thought.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 08:56AM

Shill. You do NOT want to be applying super-pure, concentrated essential oils to yourself. They need to be diluted in order not to BURN YOURSELF with them. That goes for lavender oil too!

Some essential oils do indeed have useful properties. Clove oil, DILUTED!, can stop toothache pain, but it won't give you a root canal or extraction to FIX the problem.
Clove oil is also a humane way to kill sick fish.

Citrus smells are very cheering, I love to have them around to lift my mood, but again, they won't remove the real problems that cause me to be down.

Rose hip seed oil is very good for facial skin, but won't cure rosacea, eczema or anything else.

No cure all in essential oils, some useful properties, and your local soccer mommy isn't going to know the difference. I agree with everyone else who says do your research, and if you find one you like, buy it elsewhere without the steep markup.
And learn about proper dilution and carrier oils. Never apply 100% essential oils to yourself. Most of them are NOT safe to consume, either.

Date: May 14, 2013 07:22PM

I love Bach Flower stuff but it's a totally different concept than doTerra and Young Living. Bach is more like homeopathy and deals with emotions, whereas essential oils are based on scent. I know you probably know the difference, Tupperwhere - just clarifying for others. :)

Date: May 14, 2013 07:30PM

I know. Thanks :)

Date: May 14, 2013 07:25PM

I guess it's up to you what you spend your discretionary income on. If you like them , go ahead. I buy antique radio tubes on Ebay, so who am I to tell people. Just don't automatically assume all claims about therapeutic effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 07:26PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:08PM

I'm convinced there are no miracles out there for anything. It would be great if there were.
I think the way to longevity is to live like my grandmother did (toast and grapefruit for breakfast, snack on shredded carrots with raisins, hamburger patty and tomatoes for dinner, half sandwich and a few chips at lunch, touch your toes and get fresh air, baking soda for toothpaste, vinegar for household cleaner). As well as getting the annual physicals for prevention.
Otherwise I'm just not seeing incredible cures outside modern medicine for chronic illness.
None of my grandparents had cancer when they died. 3 of them were exactly 92 years old when they passed away of old age. 1 was very heavy and died of a heart attack in her early 60's. the nicest most sweetest granny there ever was. (Which has nothing to do with anything but just giving granny a nice nod).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 07:14PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:09PM

If they cured fibro people would be lined up for miles to get their hands on them.

Just another way to take money by preying on the sick and desperate.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 08:54PM

I have severe chronic leg pain from arthritis. DW gives me leg massages with my home-brew massage oil, a traditional family recepe.

Mineral oil 40%
Olive oil 25%
Peanut oil 25%
Camphor 10%

I make no claim for effectiveness or safety of this brew. It works for me.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:50PM

When I was going to BYU I worked as a web developer for a company that provided tools for all these MLM's.

I still remember one time Young Living had a big convention, and all the people there were dousing themselves in that stinky oil. It got all over the chairs and by the time they left, the whole auditorium smelled awful. The owners got really upset and let them know under no uncertain terms that they were NEVER welcome back for another convention. LOL!

I can't speak for its effectiveness, but I can say it's bad for auditoriums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 10:51PM by jackjoseph.

Date: May 14, 2013 10:58PM

the young living ones always smelled more chemically to me. The bach ones don't. Or they don't for me anyway. So that may be why they left such a bad smell behind. I really don't think they were true flower or tree essences.

But again, you are talking to someone that smells like patchoulie 24/7 on PURPOSE. :)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:53PM

Ooh, was it a California company, initials N.O.?

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:33PM

The problem I have with DoTerra is so many TBMs I know who sell them try to tie them in with church. I've seen several Facebook posts where the seller talks about being prepared for the Second Coming, and these oils are just as important to stock up on as food storage. Or they bear their "testimonies" on the oils, and it sounds creepily like something you'd hear in sacrament meeting.

Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:53PM

My SIL peddles Doterra. Now I'm not one to knock it, but when her son was 3 or 4 he started developing some pretty heinous allergies and asthma symptoms which she stubbornly insisted on treating with her oil kit. It was rough to watch what she put that guy through, not to mention he always smelled awful. Finally my BIL lost it when the kid ended up in the emergency room, he put his foot down and got the kid some real help. I've pretty much steered clear of the stuff.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 07:08PM

My wife is into that essential oil stuff. Some of it smells nice. That's about it - no healing properties as they claim. She found some oils for a lot cheaper at a local store. Ooga Booga medicine I think.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 03:20AM

I make my own Lavender extract. It tastes great in lemonade and vodka cocktail. Add a tsp. of lavender extract. You will fee cured of all ailments after awhile.

To make extract soak 2 Tbl. dried lavender buds (Nothing added to buds) or culinary grade buds to 1 cup of everclear. Let them soak for a couple weeks. Strain out buds. Put in a clean glass jar. One with an eye dropper is good. I grow my own Lavender, so don't need to worry if there's anything added to it that may make it taste bad.

This is great in cocktails, lemon bars, or cakes. Just don't over do it. Lavender can taste like motor oil if over done.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 09:37AM

no one I know on the east coast or the south talks about oils at all.

I swear you all sound like you're nuts.

maybe it's time to boil your crystals to get the impurities out.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 09:53AM

they smell nice. Wow, and isn't that a great metaphor for mormonism in general?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 09:56AM

Big Pharma vs. Big Placebo

How to choose? How to choose?

Posted by: dovahkiyn ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 10:05AM

My wife uses them, and became a "sales" person for them just so she could have access to the cheaper prices. They work for her to help her relax, and help her with headaches specifically. MLM for sure, but it's a better product than most MLM products in my opinion. It's more like Avon than anything else from what I've seen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.