Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ThinkTank ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 01:41AM

Hi -
I wanted to say think you to Marion for her information on the Double Bind system. Although I am not an ex-mormon, I am an ex-christian. Understanding how double binds are set up and reading how to break free from them has been the turning point in my recovery.

I can't tell you how free I feel and how great it is to solve a problem I've been working on for at least 15 years. The problem was a lack of self. I finally figured it out with your description of the Double Bind pattern.

Thank you so much for your work and making it available to everyone to benefit from.

p.s. I think us exchristians and ex mormons should get together!!

: )

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 03:04AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 03:21AM

Yep, the Double Bind is what opened my eyes too. :)

Posted by: ThinkTank ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 07:24PM

Thanks for the welcome!
I think I will stick around. : )

Reading about the double bind from the mormon perspective made it easier for me to make correlations to the xtn belief system i was brought up in. It's easier to see the 'crazy' stuff in other belief systems but when the belief system is different, but similar to yours, it is easier to make pertinent connections to your own situation because it's not a direct challenge to your current way of thinking.

Maybe christians with questions should start out reading exmormon stories and mormons with questions should start out reading exchristian stories because it's so much easier to 'hear' the truth when you don't have to 'protect' your current mental framework. : )

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 07:37PM

I've seen so many Christian ministries out there which are dedicated to saving Mormons and bringing them into mainstream Christianity.

But so often what they don't take into account, is that once we've gained the critical thinking skills to deconstruct Mormonism, many of us also move on to saying, "Wait a minute. What about Christianity in general," and we end up deconstructing that as well.

I think you'd fit in here just fine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.