Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:35AM

Amazing how the kool-aid drinkers in the article do not bat an eye when they deny DNA evidence, assume that lamanites and nephites all stem from five people coming to N. America in 600 BCE, ignore the lack of archeological evidence at Cumorah in NY, and basically just stick their fingers in their ears over the fact that Asiatic peoples populated N. America 10,000 or 40,000 years before the exile of Lehi. And then if the BOM is just a spiritual document, then why all the claims to historical truth for its account? The article does a good job gathering quotes from a multitude of perspectives.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:32AM

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:36AM

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:03PM

Here are the changes from the first edition of the BoM

http://www.mazeministry.com/machine/machine.htm

The Tanners been updating he changes as well.

Posted by: Babylon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:17PM

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the info.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:00AM

The Doubleday edition has also taken out the words - 'as does the Bible' - from the introduction.

Read the intro and see if you come to the same conclusion as me, which is, if the Bible has the fulness then there is no reason to have a BoM. You can't add to something that has it all.

Took them a few years to realise that.

The link from poster Jesus Smith contains info stating that the changes will bring in line what will be in the next printing of the BoM for church members.

So those that join the church after that time will not know anything about what was taught previously.
Sounds familiar to me.

I know I wouldn't have joined the morg if they had left in all the previous teachings

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 05:47PM

freedomissweet, you said it right...if the Bible has the fullness what's the reason to add to it??? And the end of the bible says NOTHING should be added or taken away from it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:22AM

The BoM that I have is from 1973 or 74. And then I have one from probably the early 80s. I don't even have a newer one than that.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:35AM

That was a banner year for the Church with scriptures. To really understand it you have to consider the triple combination.

Here is an Ensign link about it:

http://lds.org/ensign/1981/10/the-church-publishes-a-new-triple-combination?lang=eng

I think that was the first time the Book of Mormon had "Another Testament of Christ" on the cover.

There was a lot of praise about the triple combination. The footnotes and topical guide were a major issue.

Anyway, after all of that research and years of work to bring the BofM into Bible and D&C cross-references, in 2007 they changed the introduction which altered the meaning of who Lamanites are.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:37AM

Look for the nude centerfold of Emma Smith. They took it out in 1986.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:37PM

as though the words mean the same thing to anyone except racists.

I'm not sure there have been any changes to the actual text since then, just changes to the intro and headings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.