Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 08:47AM

I went to dinner with five motorcycle buddies last night. (Far from Zion, no Mormons in the group.) Three of them are military veterans, so after talking about motorcycles a while, things drifted into military talk. One of the non-vets asked the vets what they thought about the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. They were like, "Eh, no big deal."

But that led to gay marriage. One guy said, "Okay, the thing is, if there's no reason two people of the same gender can't marry, then what would prevent some guy from having two or more wives?"

Another guy replied, "You mean like Mormons?"

I grinned and held my tongue, content to let negative perceptions of the LDS church thrive, even if they're not quite accurate.

The church has a HUGE image problem. May it always be so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:32AM

They can never live it down.

My DD spent the summer in the Czech Republic and the FIRST thing they asked about Mormons was whether or not they still practiced polygamy.

I agree about Don't Ask, Don't Tell. My son-in-law is a Marine and one of the guys in his unit is openly gay. None of the other Marines care.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in0 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:18AM

Still active duty (although injured recently, so not overseas anymore) and we live right across the street from a military base. NO one, or VERY FEW soldiers care. there are plenty of openly gay people serving in the military.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:44AM

One of the bad things about living in Utah is that everyone outside of Utah thinks you're a Mo and you sometimes get treated accordingly. By this, I mean people are hesitant to be themselves around you and think you're weird etc.

Or maybe it's just me... LOL

Actually, as soon as I say I am not a Mo, everyone relaxes.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:10PM

I meet out-of-towners at conferences/worshops.

They are very reserved and kind of look at me sideways when they find out I'm from Utah. But if I say something about it being beautiful, but a little awkard socially because I don't really fit the Utah profile, it's like a light goes on and they want to talk. Usually they have lots of questions about Mormons (and it's not because they are interested in JOINING).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.