Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:41AM

"I will make a statement here that has been brought against me as a crime, perhaps, or as a fault in my life. Not here, I do not allude to anything of the kind in this place, but in the councils of the nations that Brigham Young has said "when he sends forth his discourses to the world they may call them Scripture." I say now, when they are copied and approved by me they are as good Scripture as is couched in this Bible, and if you want to read revelation read the sayings of him who knows the mind of God, without any special command to one man to go here, and to another to go yonder, or to do this or that, or to go and settle here or there.”

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 13, p. 261, October 6, 1870

>>>

“I have never preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call scripture.”

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 13, p. 95

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:34PM

Of course, "clever" Mormons will respond with the VERY lame excuse that Brigham Young "was only speaking as a man" when he issued those statements.

But then one could answer: "So what you're saying is that basically NOTHING your Mormon prophets say can be counted on as being true!"

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:18AM

Oh, this is useful.

Thank you for sharing!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:48AM

They use the excuse/argument that you need to follow the **living** Profit, and if you do you will be rewarded, and punished if you don't.

After Hinckley came out with his two ear rings announcement, someone asked one of the GA's at a fireside if wearing two ear rings would keep them out of the Celestial Kingdom. The GA's answer was that he didn't know about wearing two ear rings, but disobeying the Profit would.

The *living* Profit says to ignore the dead Profits, so anything they taught is all swept down the memory hole. If Tommy says everyone should walk around with two straws stuck up their nose then that's the policy to be followed until the next Profit comes along and says he was only speaking as a man.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:52PM

of the LDS Church speaks FOR the church. Secondly, if it's in print, like the Ensign, or a Gen. Conf talk, it's speaking as the prophet.

If it's "off the cuff" speaking at a Fireside in a private conversation, for instance, the prophet might be expressing his personal opinion and speaking as a "man," not in his role as prophet seer and revelator. What he says in his home to his wife and children is likely to be speaking as a "man"! :-) I don't think anybody wants a prophet at breakfast, but, hey, that's just me! :-)

And one more thing: if it's too stupid to be believed, makes him sound like an uneducated fool, or totally out of the loop, it's "speaking as a man" and can be discounted.

OK. I think what I just typed is doctrine. Hmmm, or maybe not.
Hard to tell.

The true test, I was told, was to pray about it.
OK. That works.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:59PM

Nina, you're being naive. Briggy was speaking as a man when he said that.

(j/k hahaha)

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:27PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.