Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: plig ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 01:15AM

Did she take that knowledge to her grave?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 01:26AM

I've wondered that myself.

Posted by: Craig C ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 01:28AM

According to both Sally McKune & Pomeroy Tucker, Lucy Harris secretly burned the lost pages.

Sally McKune's account is cited in Frederic G. Mather(1844-1925) "Early Days of Mormonism" Lippincott's Magazine 26:152 (Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, Aug. 1880), p. 202. http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1880Math.htm

But not everyone agrees that the lost pages were burned.

WR Hine (1885) reported that Lucy did not burn the lost 116 pages, but instead gave them to a Dr. Seymour, a local physician, who read them and shared them with his patients, Hine himself, and Hine’s daughter. This is reported in Arthur Deming Deming's “Naked Truths About Mormonism Oakland, California: Deming & Co., 1888 (printed on the Seventh Day Adventist Pacific Press)”:

“Soon I learned that Jo claimed to be translating the plates in Badger's Tavern, in Colesville, three miles from my house. I went there and saw Jo Smith sit by a table and put a handkerchief to his forehead and peek into his hat and call out a word to Cowdery, who sat at the same table and wrote it down. Several persons sat near the same table and there was no curtain between them. Martin Harris introduced himself to me, and said they were going to bring the world from darkness into light. Martin's wife cooked for them, and one day while they were at dinner she put one hundred and sixteen pages, the first part they had translated, in her dress bosom and went out. They soon missed the one hundred and sixteen pages and followed her into the road and demanded them of her. She refused, and said if it was the Lord's work you can translate them again, and I will follow you to the ends of the earth. Dr. Seymour came along and she gave them to him to read, and told him not to let them go. Dr. Seymour lived one and a half miles from me. He read most of it to me when my daughter Irene was born; he read them to his patients about the country. It was a description of the mounds about the country and similar to the "Book of Mormon." I doubt if the one hundred and sixteen pages were included in the "Book of Mormon." After I came to Kirtland, in conversation with Martin Harris, he has many times admitted to me that this statement about his wife and the one hundred and sixteen pages, as above stated, is true.”
http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/CA/natruths.htm#010088-2e3

In “Who Really Wrote the Book of Mormon” (2005), page 487, Cowdrey et al (2005 reported that Dr. Ezra Semour lived in Broome Country.

For a detailed analysis of the lost pages incident and its effect on the structure of the Book of Mormon. check out Episode 5 at MormonLeaks.com:

http://mormonleaks.com/library/episode-05/

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 04:35AM

Those are great links!

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 08:59AM

Thanks for the links. Things are starting to make sense more and more.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 11:21AM

Interesting. I always imagined the "translation" work to be going on in private, but it sounds like they were making a show of letting the towns folk see them "translate." My guess is that a good portion of the Book of Mormon was already done, perhaps written by Joseph Smith Sr, while Jr and Harris were doing some slight of hand to make the town folk think that they were getting the thing from God.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 06:18AM

She will forever be vilified by TSCC but put yourself in her shoes - your impressionable husband has stared to devote all his time, energy and money into supporting what sounds like an obvious scam dreamed up by a known gold-digger and suspected con-man...... sounds more like she was the only smart one as South Park rightly pointed out.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 07:19AM

I think the fact that JS couldn't retranslate those pages just shows the BOM was a scam.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 11:45AM

She thought he was a fraud, and wanted proof that he wasn't. He couldn't provide it. Point: LH.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 08:42AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 11:46AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Martin knew and did't have the balls to tell JS.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 12:19PM

I think the '116 pages' were little more than an Extra bit of DRAMA added to the mix.

Does 'god' care about such things? Evidence, Please.

what a bunch of Crap.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.