Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 08:40AM

Last night I finished reading "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright. The comparisons to the LDS church are eerie, yet unsurprising (now that the self-imposed blinders are off). The author actually makes the comparison of Scientology and the LDS church in the epilogue. I highly recommend you add this to your must read list. It is a page turner. I am going to buy my own copy, so I can highlight all the portions that I have left bookmarks in. I also am sharing it with my kids. If you have any ambivalence in your decision to leave the church this book will help your resolve.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Clear-Scientology-Hollywood-Prison/dp/0307700666/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370954356&sr=1-1&keywords=going+clear

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 12:00PM

next on my list

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 02:11PM

I thought this portion summed up why we come to rfm and like sites:

"If the man she regarded as a savior was a "nut cast," what did that say about his teachings? What did it say about her, that she idolized him while at the same time harboring these illicit feelings of shame? No one else seemed to share these warring perceptions. She felt very much alone." p. 103

"Many simply didn't want to hear about the problems inside their organization. It was easy enough to chalk such revelations up to religious persecution or yellow journalism." p. 160

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 02:23PM by victoria.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.