Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caitieq ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:31AM

I've posted before how about some of my experiences in the church, but I posted about some of my bad experiences. Like many people here, the bad moments seem to outweigh the good in my memory, especially when I don't have any belief in the church that so many of these experiences revolved around.

I decided to leave the church almost the day after
I was baptized, but as so many of you know, it was way easier said than done. I have been staying home for the past 7 months instead of going back to school because of several reasons, but the main reason is I am still terrified of my old school and all of the things that went on there. (I am currently applying to other colleges, including some all Women colleges.)

Here's the bind. While I have been at home, all of my friends have been back at college living their lives. My life consists mostly of work, working out and spending time at home. I have no social life. Today I discussed with one of my Mormon friends how I am leaving the church (which she said she'll still love me, but still professed it was a phase) and after the talk it was so hard. I know the church is a damaging place for me to be in, it makes me physically and emotionally irrationally upset, and I know I will leave. The problem is the actual leaving part. While I have not attended church in a few months I still get texts, calls, love bombs etc from the church. The hard part is leaving, because I know I will leave all of those friends behind, and let's be honest, I could use some friends right now. Even just one!

I'm losing my will at times to follow through with writing a resignation letter, resisting the temptation to stand up against the Mormon calls etc, because I am in such a bad state where not only am I still suffering from my previous year of hell (see other post) but also the pain of leaving the church (and friends) and being pretty much in isolation.

I know I need to leave for good, officially that is, and move on with life. I am just struggling, and it is really difficult right now. Isolation is hurting me so much and I need help I guess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:59AM

I want to impress on you one thing.

Note that you state the things they do make it hard for you to leave... that is part of the trap (it is all planned and it works..it's not god, it's not love.... it's a plan to keep you in the organization!), do not play into it. You know what you want, do it! Don't let others control you. In the end, you will regret it. Trust me.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 03:16AM

Change is difficult. The trasition phase is the most difficult. Mormons know you're feeling vulnerable, so they pitch in to draw you back into their cult while you're still teetering. It's a system that they've evolved over time.

It isn't always easy to build a new life after the morg, but it's worth the effort. It takes time, patience, and effort. Others have pulled it off and you can too or you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:01AM

Sure you could continue in the muck but all you will get is more of what you are experiencing. I racked myself with fear and doubts about leaving for years. Finally, I made the plunge. What a refreshing, freeing life that came. I had been so scared and nervous of sending in my exit letter only to find that it was part of the brain washing. After sending the letter I watched for the terrible events to manifest in my life and was amazed that I felt such bliss and calm and LOVE.

Had I known what a wonderful life and freeing feelings were waiting for me I would have left as soon as the thought to do so came to me. Waiting only caused me to deteriorate, mentally, emotionally and even physically. I would encourage (you and others) to kick off the shackles and live life in bliss and joy NOW.

Best of luck and a cyber hug to you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 04:02AM by dane.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 05:42AM

The Church by its very nature makes itself the biggest influence in your life and the lives of your family and friends. Everything revolves around the church and goes through the Church. It's all tied up together.

You feel like you’re losing everything, same as a divorce or a death in the family. If you loved his family he’ll get them in the divorce. Certain friends will choose him over you. You’ll have to start over.

Same with the Church, your relationships with your family and friends will be redefined, some friends will choose the Church over you and your unbelief will be too big a threat for them to deal with, or you’ll drop them because you’ll get tired of the stagnate relationship where they think you’ll come to your senses and realize the Church is Truooo and them waiting for the phase to be over.

It take a lot of courage to start over and build a new life foundation, where you build new relationships based on what you think, what you want out of life and the standards that work for you. Go to a school that not all Mormon and you can make new relationships and carve out a new life for yourself.

When I divorce my husband and left the Church I was sooo scared, now I am so glad I did it. Fear was a small price to pay for the truth and freedom I now have in my life. It was really worth it.

I can guarantee you that you’ll be happy you did this now instead of waiting years to do it, because it won’t get any easier and if you now know the Church isn’t what it claims to be, you won’t be able to live the lie and you’ll do it now or do it later but at some point you’ll have to go through it.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 06:20AM

Is it isolation from those particular friends that is upsetting you,
or is it isolation, because your life, and worldview are diverging from theirs?
I could be some of both. Everyone grieves losses, and it takes time.

It is important to find people who can genuinely empathize with you, and understand how you feel.
Most TBMs do not understand members leaving outside of the usual reasons: offense, sin, etc. They cannot fathom it is a lie.
TBMs do not understand how you feel the bad outweighs the good.
You do not believe, but they do.
Their familiar friendship may be an illusion. If only one friend knows you plan on leaving, you don’t really know who will stay your friend. When to tell is a difficult decision.

Making a transition can be painful, and slow, but eventually it happens.

It is difficult to feel like you have control, but you have your reason, and logic, and can choose the life you want. You can choose the best way to live to heal your pain.

When you go off to college you may well lose your friends anyway. My friends, and I did not talk or write much after I went to YBU, and if they had been LD$ it probably would have been the same.

Can you find local student groups that meet? I don't know what state you are in, but if you are not religious there are often student groups of humanists/atheists. I am used to isolation, but am always happier around like-minded people. There is this site: http://www.meetup.com/

Have you seen a non-LD$ therapist? Some can be helpful.

You will make friends at your new school. I studied languages, and found friends in those classes, who I had more in common with than friends at home.

If you have a few friends who are close by maybe you could do things with them if they did not intrude too much with TSCC. It took me a long time to set boundaries with certain members, because every time they brought up TSCC, thinking I would come back, it would traumatize me. Their intrusions brought up all the evil things TSCC & members had done to me, and I would be upset for days, and would cry. It would cause PTSD reactions. They did this even after I repeatedly told them they were hurting me by bringing it up. I have seizures so this was also a trigger. I had left, and left orders for no contact. Finally I had to call the SP, and yell at him to remind him that they had ruined my life, I almost killed myself, my life was still in ruins from them 5 years later, and they had better leave me alone or I would get an attorney. He was taken aback, because I don't think he knew I had left, but they stopped after that. Other acquaintances who I need help from once in a while might say something, usually insinuations, but do not directly bring it up anymore. I think they suppose I will return, but once in a while I remind them I won't. The worst part of the isolation was feeling like I had no one to turn to for help, but TSCC did not help me overall, and were the cause of my problems. For maybe one small help there were evils a thousand times worse. For me leaving freed me, but in my case the isolation from them freed me as well.

Although there was a time lag between when I became atheist, and when I wrote my letter. In my case I was in trauma from what had happened, had further trauma, because of the first, and could barely walk for nearly a year. I was in relative isolation, because of a stalker, and did not have the luxury of resigning, because I was too scared or unable to leave the house. Maybe you could begin writing your letter instead of letting the dread of losing friends stop you. You can keep the letter or e-mail until you feel you are ready to send it. My ties were mostly gone before I sent my letter. Maybe you need to be away, and not enmeshed with them when you send it. You can plan for new friends, plan your life, stay healthy, etc., because everything gets better without the cult.

Read about how TSCC treats people. A few people may remain your friend, but a lot of members are only interested in being your friend if they think you will come back. Every time I turned to church was after a trauma. TSCC is an organization designed to be abusive. Some members are genuinely there to live a good life, although they are in a fraud. I was a sincere member. The organization itself is not supportive of women, reinforces male privilege, and gives the illusion of being a safe, wholesome place. Abuse victims can be drawn to what they think is a safe organization with values, and standards, which is not what it is. It is an organization of privilege vs. nonprivilege, hierarchies, etc. enforced by obedience. The values, and “standing for something” spiel are veneer to cover up the ugly foundations. Members use this, and the priesthood to take advantage of other members. There are so many predators in TSCC, because it tends to protect them. Bad people are everywhere, but some organizations are designed to be patriarchal, and to place more importance, and value on obedience to the good old boys than on doing the right thing. In my case, most people, even in the face of evidence, chose to defer to a sociopathic former bishop of mine, because he held the priesthood. One person half-heartedly talked to him, but no one was interested in holding him accountable. He had privilege to do whatever he wanted to people courtesy of TSCC. EVIL CULT!

You can always come to the board. People here aren't the same as friends you can do things with, but a lot of them understand what you are going through, while your friends may not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 06:30AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:40PM

It sounds like you're lonely--sorry to hear that.

Rather than make the easy choice and have friends who are assigned to you (you know that right?), go out now, sign up for a meetup group, an exmormon recovery group, a book group, hiking, whatever makes you really happy and excited to go... find something that makes you feel free and happy... it takes more effort on your part, but it's worth it. your happiness is worth it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:46PM

Take your time. Shut down incoming info that is not helping you work your plan.

It's OK to ignore the Mormons that are trying to get you to change your mind .

It takes courage to make this kind of dynamic change.

Give yourself permission to be be OK with your choices and turn off input that is not supportive.

It helps to find some kind of hobby or group to get involved with while making changes as it keeps you focused on the healthy things you want in your life.

Hang in there. You'll get where you want to go at your own pace.

Lots of people on the board will help you through. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.